Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

Yucca Rostrata Question

TT, zone 5b MA
10 years ago

Hi -

I have never noticed my Y. rostrata yellowing as much as it seems to be doing this spring. It is in the same place as always, put it out there late February. It has experienced some freezing temps, and has only gotten watered when it rained....which has been very little this spring.

{{gwi:552827}}

{{gwi:552829}}

{{gwi:552831}}

{{gwi:552833}}

So, how does it look to you guys? The center bud looks pretty good to me, so I am just wondering if this is just normal leaf senescence...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Tom

Comments (25)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I'm out of my area of comfort with this plant, but I would be anxious if I had that many yellow leaves. I wonder if it would be prudent to slide it out of the pot to look for either rotted roots...or dry pockets in the mix, perhaps contributing to root-loss.

Josh

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Y. rostrata can take a lot of moisture. Folks grow them in the ground in Louisiana. Mine seems to attract all manner of pest for some reason, including aphids and spider mites.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.

I am a little reluctant to pop it out of the pot...I was under the impression that rostrata doesn't like to have its roots disturbed much, but maybe I am not remembering that correctly?

Odd question, but could it need more water? Odd because I really have only ever had to supplement when it is really hot out, but it has been pretty dry this spring (we already have an outdoor watering ban in my town!). We had a really good soaking rain yesterday...with showers on the way...but...

It is growing in the same perlite/turface mix it has been in for years.

Overwatered? Underwatered? Ah, what to do!

This plant has really been bulletproof since I have had it.

;-)

10 years ago

It reminds me of a wild plant under drought conditions. I'd say it wants more water, and perhaps add something to your mix that will hold a little moisture.

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

Definitely looks dehydrated. Either it needed a very good drink, or the root system didn't allow it to get a good drink. Now you have to wait for new growth to take over.

Here's mine in the ground, just snapped a photo:

{{gwi:552835}}

And here's Yucca thompsoniana, also very attractive, and more compact than rostrata.
    {{gwi:552836}}

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Such great plants, both of you, and Mark's bearded one is tres chic, a fine plant. Greg Starr would approve of your pruning ban.

Tom, if you want further information, PM me for directions to a place I think you'd know, but you're in the hands of two experts...well, one expert and one Teuton, who knows a thing or five.

I should get one of these, then? If so, where's a suitcase-sized one available? I shall have to make inquiries.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sat, May 11, 13 at 10:13

10 years ago

No, it's not even Oneton yet, but it's coming along.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Tom,
    that's what I was thinking...over or under-watered. I've been surprised at how dry some of my mixes become when we don't have much rain, and it can be tough to get them evenly moist again. I would gently lift the plant a few inches for a quick peek, then lower it back into the pot immediately. That should show you dry-pockets if there are any.

Josh

10 years ago

German,

Stylish plant, too. How does one measure yucca tons? I see yours doesn't harbour anything living in the old leaves.

10 years ago

Hey, you brought it up. Perhaps someone on the Peninsula would know. That pic's a year old, it's a fair spot larger now.

Tom, just water it, and consider amending the soil so that it isn't quite so porous.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amazing Yuccas, gents. Do you fellas supplement watering whilst they are grounded? I am wondering if this is a potted Yucca thing...

So, I watered it thoroughly earlier today...and our showery weather continues. I will monitor it a little more closely from this point. I guess I might have been treating it a bit like a piece of furniture....it has been so easy for me to get it to look good in the past, I suppose I may have taken it for granted...

Thanks for all the commentary...and photos.

Tom

10 years ago

I water mine twice per week during warm weather, which is most of the year. I'd guess our pest problems stem from the Yucca preferring more humid conditions than we can provide. As I mentioned in a prior post, these thing can grow in swamps.

10 years ago

Here's a fresh pic.

{{gwi:552837}}

10 years ago

Getting more torso character, GS - it's looking really nice. But swamps? These plants impress me more and more.

10 years ago

^ Guy with the G. excelsa has a couple 3'+ examples that would look exceptional in Queen Creek.

• ruckusnursery
    10 years ago

I know by experience that rostratas hate to have their roots disturbed. Rot is easily distinguish by pressing the stem near the soil base. If healthy it should feel solid and woody, NOT spongy. It looks to me that Tom's Yucca is lacking water. The trick with succulents is to let them dry between watering. The more water the more growth.

• ruckusnursery
    10 years ago

The only pest that I know that can KILL a rostrata is red spider. Any systemic insecticide would help. If you are against chemicals I have found that periodically showering rostratas heads with water will keep red spiders at bay. They hate wet, humid conditions.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful yuccas in this thread!

It was absolutely underwatering with my plant. It has since rebounded nicely and put on a lot of new foliage this growing season. It is still outside enjoying the cooler temps.

Like I said...bulletproof!

Tom

10 years ago

ruckus,

Great plants there - are they only waiting for clients before they get planted in the ground there?

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 9:33

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ruckus -

Ditto on Jeff's comment. I think I see a multibranched specimen in there...nice!

Tom

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kinda liked the coiffed look of ruckus's rostratas...so I took a crack at it...

Rostrata and son (with his game face on...)
    {{gwi:552838}}

10 years ago

Tom,

Looks like a pat Jets fan. I'll bet you can't wait before he gets to move that one. So you keep a potted plant (which I presume freezes more easily outside than a PIG'd plant does, but could be incorrect) outside all the time, albeit in a protected area?

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeff -

That plant will be nestled, all snug in my garage for the winter pretty soon. I do leave it out with some nights below freezing until then.

Tom

• ruckusnursery
    10 years ago

Nice restoration including hair cut. Consider bringing the yucca indoor as a house plant. Now you know how it looks when you underwater. Indoor conditions will be dry and warm, so beware of red spiders, they will appear.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ruckus -

Cold garage has done the trick for me the last five winters so I am staying with that. It is still outside right now, though, and does not seem to mind.

Tom