Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

What Happend to my plant? Please Help! Pics!

jojosplants
13 years ago

Hi,

I've had this plant about a year. about 2 weeks ago I gave it a good drink and rinsed off dust. Now it's turning black and the lower leaves are yellow.

Our days were in the high 80's and nights in the 50's when I watered it, but we droped not long after to the 70's and lows of 40's shortly after I watered.

It's in a well draining mix, has been since i've had it, and gets late day sun.

The rosesett also feels lose.

It's in a mixed container and all the others are just fine.

I've never seen a plant do this.

{{gwi:552915}}

{{gwi:552916}}

{{gwi:552917}}

Thanks!

JoJo

Comments (13)

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Jo Jo that is an extremely hard plant to grow, and it looks like it came to you with a fungus, it takes extrememly dry conditions, and some sun. It's not your fault. I think you are just trying too hard. I'm giving you a big hug, it just may not be the right time of year to water. Temperatures dropped and the plant protested.
    Huntington big sale on Saturday and Sunday. Big hug, love Norma Norma

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Norma~
    Thank you so much.
    With the research I did, I did find it is a tricky one like you say.

I guess with the next one, I'll wait till june to water.

Should I take it out of the container it's in? Throw it away? or is it saveable?

Oh, I wish I could be at the sale! Gosh, lucky you!! Have some fun for me!! :)

Thanks so much for the Hug!
    Im sending one back for you! (((HUG)))!!

luv ya!
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I am sorry too my friend..How about another HUG!!!

It is such a bummer to see a little suffer like that..

Maybe it will be ok in your loving care..:-)

Love

Mike..:-)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Not sure which plants are being discussed, but the plant in closeup looks to me like a Graptovera; I'm unfamiliar w/ its problem.

From what I can see there's only one Dykia in the pix (am guessing it's the greyish plant in approx 4:00 position).

Am suprised that folks more knowledgeable than I (like Norma above) have not commented that these plants do not share the same watering requirements which makes them poor candidates for a community pot.

I believe the plants ar 12 & 6 positions are Haworthias, the 6 position is definately Haw. limifolia. These plants like medium shade, not direct sun, as they appear to be getting.

The plant that looks to my eyes to be urgent is at the 2 o'clock position which appears to be rotting. I'd remove that plant entirely & discard it, lest the rot spread through the pot.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike. ;)

• paracelsus
    13 years ago

xGraptoveria 'Silver Star' is known to be rot prone, intolerant of cold and wet conditions. Norma says it is "an extremely hard plant to grow", but I would just say it is 'tricky'. Keeping the foliage dry when watering will help prevent blemishes. The fact that the leaf discoloration in your plant started shortly after watering and cooler temperatures began is characteristic of the somewhat fragile nature of 'Silver Star'.

All is not necessarily lost. It can probably recover from the unsightly blemishes. If there is root rot, trimming the stem will be necessarily. This is a tricky plant to keep looking good, but given the right balance of attention/neglect, it can be very beautiful. The cluster pictured below was almost lost last winter because I did not keep the foliage dry, and rot took a couple of rosettes. No matter, in time it will recover it.

As others have pointed out, the plants in that bowl have different cultural requirements. You should consider moving them to different containers.

{{gwi:552918}}

Brad

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Wow Para, that's a nice shot. I'm not too familiar w/ Graptoverias beyond being able to recognize them. But in your pic, that lowermost rosette is just divine. There's something about its shape & proportion that I particularly enjoy; thanks.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Brad,

What a beautiful plant, dish you have!
    Glad it recovered for you!

Thanks for your help and letting me know there's hope for this.

Hubby picked it out actually, leave it to him to get a "tricky" one. No more plants for him.. LOL!

I put this dish together last May, before I knew much about my plants.
    I realize they should be seperated, but for now I chose to leave them as is.
    They are all doing very well.

The mini aloe and limifolia are sending up blooms, and the Dykia has grown alot since I got it last fall.

They all have.

I will watch and keep the Graptoveria leaves dry and at least get that one out.

Thanks
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Jojo,

How cool is that? I have the same stone on my Bonsai!! Wow...lol

{{gwi:552919}}

Look what I did with one of my Jades...Hug

{{gwi:87671}}

By the way, Brad, what a beautiful plant, and very kind of you to encourage someone to grow one like yours..I love that plant.

Mike..

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hello, JoJo!
    How is the plant doing now?

Mike, your Jade is excellent...
    are those branches full yellow???
    Sweet bonsai! Thanks for sharing this one with us...
    you've been holding back, I see! Do you know where I
    can find that type of Jade?! Ha! ;-)

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had to run out and check to see if my rock was still there! LOL!

Funny Mike! Great minds think alike..:)

Hi Josh,
    Thanks for asking!
    It's doing O.K. about the same.
    No new yellowing leaves, so I'm hoping it will be O.K.

Were back to very warm days and nights, so it should pull through.

Looking to hit 100 any day.

Have a great day guys! I'm off to make a fool of myself bowling. LOL!
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh. With me you can.. we'll talk about it and you will end up with a beauty..:-)

Jojo, Jojo, Jojo,100!!!!!!! Sheesh, even cactus don't like them temps..lol
    You'll look just fine bowling, unless of course depending on what you wear to go there..lol
    Great minds ha?

Mike..:-)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike,
    The cactus love it, and so do us summer people! LOL!

So what's the name of that beautiful Jade with the yellow.?

And the bonsai with my stone.LOL

What I wear... Hmmmm... You know me too well! LOL!

JoJo

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio