Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Cactus

Posted by joshuro none (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 19:08

Hey guys, new around here. It would be great if someone could tell me what type of cactus this is. All I know is it's from Australia, that's all he [My Grandpa] told me before he passed away. My Grandma still has the original plant which has been growing for 30+ years, and they gave me this little guy like 3 years ago. Any ideas what species it is? I'm sorry, I know nothing about plants. Also I don't think it's very healthy, any advice when in it comes to soil type and watering?

Copy the link below into your browser....
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n518/beutski/IMAG0256.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Cactus

I cant really copy the link on my phone but ... no cactus is native to australia only the americas

o
RE: Unknown Cactu

Ok i got it to work! It looks like some kind of ferocactus ... the one next to it is very much dead and that soil looks VERY bad, rot is immanent o_o get new soil with lots of pebbles and perlite

o

Micro is correct. All cacti are from the Americas.

Zeck, we gotta talk about your pebbles. We use volcanic pumice or perlite because it's lightweight and porous. So, it holds a little water when it's wet, a little air when it's dry, and doesn't weigh down the pot. Rocks and pebbles only take up space but without the aeration it's dead space.

o

Well i use volcanic pumice and on the dover of the bag it says volcanic pebble (same thing as volcanic pumice) sorry for the confusion o_o

o

Oh, me also sorry too, as well;)

-Cookie Monster

o

Looks very much like an Echinopsis, which is also pretty common in 'not C&S addicted' households.

Jordi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here