Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

The Glorious Epi

hijole
11 years ago

{{gwi:553069}}http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/GAguilera55/ {{gwi:553070}} {{gwi:553071}}

So here are my first born, Epi's that is, Such a beautiful flower that bloomed for me just last week for the very 1st time.

These were shared with me by one of my neighbors and this was the 3rd year I've had them, does anyone know if they take a couple of years to grow once clipped and propagated after cuttings?

T.I.A

Greg

Comments (9)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Yes, 3 years sounds about right to get a bloom. They need tgo get some age and mass going before they bloom. I always reward the plant with fertilizer after a bloom cycle. I get several flushes on my E. oxipetalum, but I think it is different with each species. They like to bloom on last years growth, so ifyou do a massive cut back, you might not get a bloom the following year, so I don't cut them all back at once.

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey thanks W.T Mara, good information I'll fertilize tomorow is M.G ok for them or what's recomended ?

And when is the trimming back good as far as seasons, I live in Calif. 9 zone and I've had them in mostly shaded with bright light areas and I actually mixed a few different colors together but that was the only color that showed up so far.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey w.t. mara, one more question, are those seeds inside the flowers and are they easy to grow? Just thought of it.

Or anyone else who might know.

Thanks Greg

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Those arent seeds they are the stamen (stigma?) The produce the pollen to make the seeds ... i dont know if they are easy to grow as i have never tried this species

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Excuse that , it is the anther

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Micro, my goodness your up late, don't you have school tomorow? Lol...

Boy that's some good info alright thanks a bunch buddy, and interesting too, I'm really impressed with you.

Now I'm just a little curious, do you have any plans at this point in time of starting up some nursery of any type down the road, or tomorow?

I sure would love too, I would really have a blast at it too, and I could really use someone like you hanging around just in case I need some questions answered.

Thanks for the nice lessen tonight kiddo, and I think your Sharp too.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

X 2 oops.

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

The blossoms are well worth the three year wait! Just beautiful!

Out of curiosity, Greg, why would you want to start from seed instead of a leaf cuttting? Seems that a leaf cutting would give you a plant true to it's parent. Who knows what you'd get with a seed? Of course, a seed would be more adventursome!

Penny

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Penny, call it greedy, passionate, or just or that I hate to waste any part of the reproduction of more of a good thing.

If 3 years seemed long imagine a seed, although I heard somewhere here that a seed is a promise.
    Glad you enjoyed them penny.

Greg