Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Mother's Day gifts

Variegated jade, gasteria:

{{gwi:553087}}{{gwi:553088}}{{gwi:553089}}

I think gasteria was grown in low light - am I right?

Should the pups be removed/replanted?

Thnx.

Rina

Comments (5)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Happy Mother's Day Belatedly & nice plants. Good for you.

That variegated Jade is my personal favorite of fancy Jades. That Gasteria seems nice, but is overpotted. I'd pot it down smaller to just an inch larger around than they are.

Gasterias are lower light succulents, they don't want very strong light, but do well in bright indirect light. I keep mine at the edge of west windows. I can't see the pups when I clicked on your pic, it all looks too young to separate, hard to tell from here. I'd pot the whole thing down smaller as I said (clay pot) & give it a season to see what it does.

Nice haul, enjoy!

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Hi Rina. If you want to, you can actually separate any Gasteria pup when very tiny and most will survive. But, if you do this, you will end up with 1,000 pots with a single Gasteria each. It is much easier to care for one pot. Plus, these gasteria flowers are underwhelming, only a forest of them gets attention.

If you decide not to re-pot the Gasteria, you have to remember that the pot will dry out slowly, but on the upside, the pot that it is in will accomodate the growth for a couple of years. For best results with Gasteria, avoid organic matter in the soil. The roots will thank you for it.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG and D

thank you for the tips on growing gasteria.
    The pot it's in has a drainage hole, and underneath the gravel top dressing (which is quite thick) I found peaty soil-typical 'store' planting. So I would think I should repot into gravely soil?
    I will keep it as-is, I like the idea of gasteria 'forest'

Rina

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

If you leave it in the peat, one day, you will overwater and the plant will have had enough. Rot ensues, the plant will collapse and your tear-stained posts with pitiable crys will haunt GW.
    De-pot, wash the roots, re-pot with no peat into a smaller pot and don't water for at least 2 weeks. Put in bright spot (maybe not direct sun for a few weeks), then put back into sunny location. In our latitude, they can stand almost full sun, and even full sun if acclimated. They do grow well in some shade, but not as much shade as they have been used to.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi D'

Thank you for the tips again. I repoted gasteria, into smaller pot & gritty mix.
    First gasteria for me & gift on top of it - can't kill it!
    Rina

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz