Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

Euphorbia mammillaris forma variegata?

kaktuskris
9 years ago

Couldn't resist this as an early Father's Day present...There were only two, both with straw flowers, but on this one the 'flower' had fallen off. Saved me from having to remove it and possibly do damage.

Christopher.

Comments (24)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Love the colors!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Ihave one of these aswell , i call him my "plankton" plant....cause he reminds me of plankton from sponge Bob...even thoe i can't sponge Bob lol, I've had him for a few months now

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Fun fact, one of the names it's known as is 'Corn Cob.'

Planto

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Yup it's called the Indian corn Cob cause of its shape

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

It will turn pink in the sun. I've had one for years. One of the few Euphorbia's I like. :-)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jojo,
    How much sun can it take? My Mother purchased one and I didn't bother to look up what amount of light it could handle. She has it on a shaded patio at the moment, sounds like I should move it for her, haha.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, May 20, 14 at 1:01

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hi Planto...
    Mine gets good morning sun, from the east, and then filtered the rest of the day. Once in a while, if no car in the drive way it will get a little of afternoon sun from the west. The container is under a huge shrub. I can try and get a picture of it tomorrow.
    Yes, for it to be pink it will need light. :-)

Here's a little info I found on it for everyone.

"Euphorbia mammillaris variegata is aka "Indian Corn Cob". It forms stems in rows that look like "corn cobs". They are a light green with dark green and turn pink in the sun. Their growth time is late spring and summer months. Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch during active growing season. It needs bright light to look its best. They need to rest in winter and given less water. Please click photo for more information."

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

They grow flowers outta those thorny looking branches and on the top thru out. They can turn pink up top and orange on the bottom while staying a lil green inn the middle. There really CRAZY looking but beautiful

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Formidable looking plant! Neat looking variegation. I like this type of clean white and green patten on alot of plants.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Thanks for looking that up for me (I was too lazy to do so myself). I'll have to figure out somewhere for my Mother that's the best suited lighting for this plant. I wasn't aware it developed pink colors in brighter light (or where the flowers emerged from, reading Kittie's comment).

I thought the darn thing was kinda ugly, I have a newfound appreciation for it, haha.

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

LOL!
    I didn't know it would turn pink when I first got it. Thought my plant was dieing. lol.. now that I see Christopher's I'm thinking of taking a cutting and putting it in shade. lol.. love those greens!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    LOL, you sound like me. I freak out when something changes color but most times it's normal. Maybe I'll pluck off an arm from my Mom's one of these days... The little 'corn cob' has kinda grown on me now. I say it's Christopher's fault for sharing. :P As if I need any more succulents....

Planto

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would love to see some pink mixed in with the green and white...this is such a cool little plant, I have to say it.

Christopher

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Yes, we need to blame Christopher. ;-) lol..
    Christopher! I hope it pinks up for you too! It is a cool plant!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Looks lethal.Like it,but love the little bright green one,what is that one??
    Gfs
    Kathi

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You mean the fake straw flower? :)

Christopher

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

. I had to get one this week too. :)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Christopher is starting a plant trend.

Planto

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy to start a trend... :)

My Lowe's had only two of these, and even paying extra for the straw flower, it was a good deal at $3.48 I think.

Christopher

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

He did start one , didn't he ? ;-)

Hi Christopher!
    Yes, that is a good deal! Especially with the little flower thrown in ;-)

Mine isn't very pink right now. :-( the shrub it is under needs thinned out, (the plant isn't getting much sun) and I haven't had a chance to yet. Maybe this coming week.

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Planto and Jojo,
    Mine gets afternoon western exposure in Tucson so this plant can get fried to no ill effect if acclimated properly. It lives in a black clay pot and is watered weekly so it's a tough fellow. So tough and vigorous, in fact, I just cut it down and rerooted several months ago.

-Ming

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Christopher,

So you're a fallen flower fan too? That's why my wife keeps me around.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hi Ming.
    It's nice to see someone from this corner of the world. :-)
    Mine used to get east and west, but the shrub is so huge it's getting too much shade. I have to thin it every few years , and this is the year. lol...

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeff, I'm a fan of any flower, except when they are glued on...I admire Beauty wherever it may be.

Christopher