Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spapa_gw

Light dilemma driving me crazy!

spapa
9 years ago

Hello everyone! I am going crazy with this lighting dilemma I've been having. I have been trying to find the right indoor location for my plants this winter and I have been having a lot of trouble. Initially, I put everything in a south-facing window, since I figured it was the only place they would get enough light. Unfortunately, 90% of my plants shrivel when I put them here. I tried a north-facing window and they etiolated, and I also tried moving them a couple of feet back from the south-facing window and again they etiolated. They don't stretch in the south-facing window, but the leaves get thin and wrinkly, and slowly die off. I of course tried upping the amount of water I gave them, and it worked temporarily, but within 24 hours they were back to their shriveled state. Even every other day wasn't doing it and I stopped for fear of rotting them.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Why am I having so many problems with the south facing window, when that is the recommended indoor location for succulents? Is it possible that it's a temperature problem rather than a light problem?

I am attaching some photos of wrinkled plants for illustration purposes. As you can see, the G. paraguayense is also etiolated now, the result of my lighting experiments.

This post was edited by spapa on Fri, May 2, 14 at 19:48

Comments (10)

• spapa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo #2

• spapa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo #3

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

IME, all of my non-winter-growing Crassulaceae suffer a bit in winter, and it's as you say - there's just not enough light. There's no doubt in my mind that a south-facing exposure is best wrt what you have choices of. Do you notice a particular chill there?

• spapa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does tend to be the most temperature-sensitive area of my house, meaning the coldest area in winter and hottest area in summer. But for the past few weeks temps outside have been 40-90 degrees, so it hasn't been super cold. Is it possible for them to get too hot? I think of them as desert plants but maybe with the glass the heat and light becomes too intense.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Keep them in the south window and put a small fan on low to circulate the air...see if that helps.

Nancy

• xerophyte NYC
    9 years ago

It's not the above ground portions that get too hot or too cold - it's the roots! Roots crammed into a pot are unprotected so they can easily get too hot in the sun and too cold if the surrounding air is chilly.

In habitat, roots in the ground are spared from temperature (and moisture) extremes. It could be 115F but the roots are much cooler. And the air temp could be freezing, but the roots remain warmer in the ground. That is why potted plants do not have the same "zone rating" as in-ground plantings.

Plants in pots are not afforded this same protection so you have to be wary and manage your plants accordingly.

I think in your case, it's possible that the roots are badly damaged so you see quick leaf desiccation on the south windowsill. What needs to occur is new and sustained root growth. Succulents are amazingly adaptable and they tolerate poor conditions for a long time, tricking owners into thinking the plants are healthy when in reality they may not be. I'm not saying that is happening to you, but it is an important consideration going forward.

It's also normal this time of year as new growth resumes, older leaves wither away and senesce.

IMO, I have no problems whatsoever with your plants spending their days outdoors. Temps in the 40F-90F range are perfect, just be careful not to give them full sun right away. They will appreciate the rain as well, it looks like you are using a coarse mix so the pots won't get waterlogged.

If you have some reservations about growing outdoors, I would suggest you go to Home Depot and pick up a few cheap succulents to experiment with. It will be a fantastic learning experience.

x

• spapa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi xerophyte,

Despite the temps for the past few weeks, we have had some cold hail, and we have snow forecast for next week. Weather here is very back and forth. Snows didn't stop coming until June last year. It can easily be 85 one day and 25 the next. I have about 200 succulents so it's not as easy as just moving them in and out; I started collecting in June last year, and brought everything in in September. For about 3 months everything stayed looking pretty normal, but then I think being indoors finally caught up with them.

The funny thing is I have much less trouble with the varieties that are supposed to be more finicky; for example, E. laui has been fine in that windowsill. But more common varieties like xGraptoveria 'Debbie', G. paraguayense and P. oviferum seem particularly prone to the wrinkling. It's odd!

Nancy,

Thank you for the fan idea. May need to give that a try!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

40F can get to 30F so quickly here, so I daresn't take the chance until temps are 'generally' in the 50s or higher before I take them outside, but I am getting the shadecloth / frame ready this weekend for plant egress next week or so.

spa,

Nancy's idea is wonderful and one I should follow more often myself.

• cactus_cowboy
    9 years ago

Those plants in the photo look healthy. It's normal to see older leaves shrivel up and drop off in winter time. I've had great results growing similar plants in both east and south facing windows.