Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you "undo" a grafted cactus?

Posted by Ams_38562 6B (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 20:16

I'm very new to cactus and succulents and Ive been doing some research about grafting...
Anywho.. I just bought one of these Ruby ball cacti and I know they are grafted.. So is it possible to "undo this process and have two plants?
Just wondering... I tried googling it but all I get is how to graft. :\

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you "undo" a grafted cactus?

I don't know the technical terms, so excuse me ahead of time (there's technical names for the top cactus and the bottom cactus).

The reason for them being grafted together is because the red cactus (a Gymnocalycium) cannot produce its own chlorophyll (no green present in the plant to produce the food). So, the bottom cactus produces food for it.

That being said, these don't generally live very long (maybe a couple years). Some do remove the top cactus and allow the bottom cactus to produce offshoots (look like arms coming off the sides). Sometimes, this happens naturally while they're still grafted together. If you were to remove the top cactus though, it will die because it cannot produce food by itself.

Planto

o

there is a technical term for everything these days.. I'm better with plain english :P

I didn't know the red ones didnt produce their own food.. that being said I'll leave them alone.. I did pluck a few "babies" off the red one.. will those die now too? what if I give them plant food?

o

I'm pretty sure the babies will die (sorry). Plant food contains Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorous with some trace minerals. Chlorophyll is only something a plant can produce.

Planto

o

owell.. live and learn right?? Thanks for all your help though! I'm slowly learn the cactus tricks :P

o

Lol, it's okay. I won't tell you the mistakes I've made and learned from. ;)

Planto

o

Maybe you can try grafting the pups on a new cactus or the same plant?!?! Thoe I'm not to sure if you can actually do that or NOT, just a suggestion so they doubt just get thrown away

o

Wow Planto, things I never knew about this little one. Would explain why mine didn't live that long. Thx for the great info!

o

Chica,

Sure thing. :)

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here