Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweathers_gw

Should I remove pup???

tweathers
9 years ago

Should I remove the pup? When I water it gets pretty wet I don't want to cause it to start rotting

Comments (21)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

No, the pup's too small, I'd let it double in size before removing it. Perhaps try watering from the other side of the pot to avoid wetting the pup.

Your soil could really use a lot more perlite, it's not fast draining enough & that's likely to cause your plant to rot over time.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I agree with pirate girl. Also it would help to add a top dressing of gravel between the pup and soil to help keep it dry.

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The soil is cactus soil it drains very well but the gravel idea is great I have been thinking about that

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The soil only stays damp about a day I put my plants in direct sunlight after slowly having to move them outside and now I'm having to water very often soil is bone dry in 2 days

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Pls. remember, these are succulent plants -- they hold water in their fat, fleshy tissues. One doesn't have to water them so frequently, tho I only grow indoors.

Sorry, but that mix doesn't look fast draining. I wouldn't use gravel as you mentioned, rather perlite as I suggested earlier.

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We'll I watered right before I took the pic not even 5 min before! And I read to let the soil stay dry for about 2 days then water I was only watering 1 time a week and a half but now that there in full sun they require more and as soon as I start pouring water in the pot it starts coming out the bottom almost exactly the same time! And the gravel idea is to only put a inch or half inch on top of the soil to keep bottom leave and pups off the damp soil but idk if pups could come through the little pebbles or not I'm thinking like playground rock the little brown tan and white pebbles should I not??

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Pls. remember, these are succulent plants -- they hold water in their fat, fleshy tissues. One doesn't have to water them so frequently, tho I only grow indoors.

Sorry, but that mix doesn't look fast draining. I wouldn't use gravel as you mentioned, rather perlite as I suggested earlier.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry, we posted close together, your watering sounds fine, so pls. disrgard my last comment's first line.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I use pea pebbles, there smaller then a dime you can find them in a bag t home depot or places like that prob in the outside area by the sand. My plants are outside abs get full Sun all the time, my soil dries Within a day or so but i still let the plants wait a few day's before watering again or i atleast use a spray bottle and spray the soil or plant if they look like they really need more water. Whatever you find working for your plants do IT, don't let other's say you're wrong. After ALL you should know your plants best. But do take some people's answers and thoughts into consideration, cause YOU NEVER kno!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The C&S comercial mixes are way too water retentive. People around here dillut it with 50% perlite or pumice or some grit.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

The top dressing of gravel doesn't have to be very thick. 1/2" is more than enough! You just want to cover the soil enough that the plants aren't touching any damp soil. I use gravel about 1/4" in size, pea gravel would work fine. ti's really not that heavy and the new pups will push through.

And I agree that your standard cactus and succulent mix just out of the bag is not good enough as is. It really needs something added for drainage.

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok well I'll take this into consideration for sure but the soil I am using is perfect like I said it dries out very fast so maybe I just have better luck with it lol

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Water coming out the pot right away does not mean it's a well draining soil. It could be dried peat which will repel the water.

How do you test to know how long it stays wet? Just by the surface or root zone?

The ones here advising against the soil as is, are long time growers that know what they are talking about. They are one's I've learned from over the years. Keep that in mind.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I always just use whatever soil I have on hand and mix it with a lot of the pea pebbles someone mentioned before. Can even toss in some perlite if you want, for color. Mix and plant... dress on top with rock of choice. And done. Will hold some moisture but not enough to cause issues.

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand they have done this for awhile BUT my soil is cactus soil not peat moss is no one even reading what I'm saying here geez it's like everyone on this site just wants to argue and prove ppl wrong even if there's nothing to prove its dumb I asked about removing a pup and now the topic is my soil!!!?? I just watered them before the pic that's why it looks wet the soil is fine!!! I've had them in it for a long time and they seem to love it they have grown soooo much in it and the soil never stays wet very long it's succulent/cactus soil!!!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I read pretty well and my bag of cactus soil says it is formulated from sphagnum peat moss. Just saying.

But here's an idea - Next time just say "thanks for the advice!" and then do what you want to do, silently. Folks are just trying to help.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Most comercial cactus and succulent soils main ingredient is peat moss. That is why we harp on it. We have had our cactus and succulents not do well in C & S mixes. That is a lot of our experience. I am sorry that you feel that this us unwarranted. We are used to looking for possible problems before they happen. Soil is a huge issue in longevity of these plants. Do as you will and think what you want , but it is in the best interest of sharing information that we behave in this manner . some of us are more gruff than others. Hey we like thorny plants. Maybe we have grown a few ourselves. Take the info that you like and ignore us if you want. I will not take it personally if you ignore good advise .

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I'm glad you were able to find a perfect mix just because it says it's for Cactus and Succulents! All the ones I've seen contain peat. No one else has been able too.. your lucky!
    My apologies for not understanding, just because we can't find one. Good luck!

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

As the first one to answer your question, I wrote

" No, the pup's too small, I'd let it double in size before removing it. Perhaps try watering from the other side of the pot to avoid wetting the pup. "

Which answered your question abt the pup & also suggested you water from the other side, which answers your concern abt wetting the pup.

Then JoJo came along & agreed w/ me abt not removing the pup yet.

Notwithstanding the subsequent discussions abt mixes & soils & why we harp on it so,

EXACTLY WHAT PART OF YOUR QUESTION DIDN'T GET ANSWERED?

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Ah.. true Pirate girl.. it did get answered... but we made the mistake of trying to be helpful and prevent further downfalls. ;-)

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

You're going to be hard pressed to find any soil not containing peat. Peat isn't really an issue unless you use a lot of it or it is low quality. But cacti do not like acidic roots so a fine balance is needed if you do that.