Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

Starting to free 'em...

TT, zone 5b MA
11 years ago

Hi all -

The migration from sunroom/living room window to greenhouse to outdoors continues.

Here are some of my 'freed' plants...so far...

Othonnas

{{gwi:553958}}

Saguaro

{{gwi:553960}}

Assorted

{{gwi:553961}}

A. desmettiana

{{gwi:553962}}

A. marlothii (repotted, too...)

{{gwi:553963}}

Portulacaria

{{gwi:553964}}

{{gwi:553965}}

E. milii

{{gwi:553966}}

Thanks.

Tom

Comments (29)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

The saguaro and the totem were my favorites! Very beautiful plants!

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Tom, good to see everything out, enjoying some sun! Your plants look terrific.
    How's your Jade stump doing?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Tom, great plants on display!
    Your Portulacarias are some of the finest out there.
    Are those your design? Bonsai West? Other?

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Tom,

I admit I'm a little envious (of the fact you have yours out already) and the plants - as Josh said, the P. a. is awesome, but where is Stumpy? I was too checking out the repotted A. m., too (which, when I saw it, caused me to think 'Tom's repotted his marlothii'). The Agave victoria-reginae is hot, hot, hot.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all...more coming out soon...

Ryan - stumpy, not so good. See thread "large jade cutting". Seems to be a bad trend for all...;-(.

Josh - large P.a. is from BWest...but looked nothing like it now does when I got it there. Did much work to it. The other is from New England Bonsai - I have had that one for many, many years...I may be able to dig up some old pics of it...

Jeff - I forget who gave me the advice (perhaps you?) to get my A.m into a larger pot...well, I heeded it.

Thanks!

T

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Wonderful looking plants love the portulacaria and the marlothii thorns has some nice red colour. Glad they look good after the winter - and ready to grow..

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

Gorgeous plants! I'm in awe of your Portulacarias. My little Portulacarias have a loooong way to go lol

11 years ago

You've done tremendous work on those specimens, Tom!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Those are absolutely beautiful Tom!

Great job and enjoy the 70's as they find their way back to us by Thursday:-)

Love the black shelves too. I have them.

Mike

• xerophyte NYC
    11 years ago

hmm, my Othonna has been leafless for many weeks now - oh well.

A little concerned about the A. marlothii, looks like the pot does not have a full taper and has a bulge below the rim - could make it mighty difficult to pull the plant out of the pot when it's ready for an upgrade.

x

• chrisware
    11 years ago

A couple of those smaller agave look a little familiar...
    Great pics!

Love the Port.,bonsai... How old are they?

Chris

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

X - you should have seen how hard it was to get it out of a pot with excellent taper! I will be willing to sacrifice this pot if necessary...it is a cheapy...

Chris - yes you do recognize those agave pups...maybe that opuntia fragilis too (which has already added a new segment, i might add. If I can find the time (maybe this weekend) I have a few little things to send your way. Have not forgotten ;-)...

T

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Beautiful, and they must be so happy to get outside.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

Tom,
    Great looking plants! My plants have started to make the move also. I love summer time! In the third pic, the plant on the far left. What is it? Do you have any close ups of it?

Rob

• caudex1
    11 years ago

Othonnas look great!! here on the west coast mine are all fast asleep, started going dormant about the middle of April

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rob - if I have it right, the plant on the far left (third pic) is a small fouquieria columnaris. Is that the one you mean?

Keith - Thanks! My euphorbioides are flowering a little again...my arbuscula is kinda hanging out...and my herrei has a few new leaf buds. They must like New England spring!

T

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

Tom,
    That's the one. Do you have any better pictures of it?

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Wow i'm glad i came here today.I have that e.milii,but i always thought it was just your standard COT except it has always looked just like your picture and mu other COT is shorter and fuller,so i thought i was doing something wrong,that made it grow so tall.In fact think i asked on here a week or so ago if i should cut it back,but there was no reply to that question,and i got busy doing other things and forgot about it til now.

Guess i better leave well enough alone!!!
    Kathi

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Is there difference between Crown of thorns and Euphorbia milii? I thought it's the same plant...Rina

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I don't know,i hope those with more knowledge than you and i pop on and let us know.
    Kathi

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi -

Pretty sure they are the same plant, too. Just many varieties. I have a small, shrubby one with small flowers and this tall lanky one with much larger flowers. Both red

I, too, have thought about shortening the really tall stem on mine, but I never get around to it. I have pruned my smaller one with good results.

Just something about all that sap coming out of an inch thick stem on my tall one that gives me a little pause, I guess...

Tom

• growforit
    11 years ago

Lovely plants!! Ditto Micro on that Totem, fantastic. I really admire all you folks that take [care of] your plants inside to avoid weather conditions.

You've done a great job, literally, with this Portulacaria - it really does look like a mini tree. Very cool!

Made me look up Bonzai Portulacaria and found some great pics and a little info on 'how to'... but Tom, if you know of any good websites on the subject... if it's not too incredibly time consuming, I might give it a try...

{{gwi:553964}}

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Tom,

Your plants are beautiful! What a nice collection!

I think your Crown of Thorns looks a bit too big to be a Milii. I think the botanical name for a giant Thai hybrid Crown of Thorns like yours is Euphorbia x lomi. It is a hybrid between the two Madagascar species Euphorbia lophogona and Euphorbia milii. The "Lomi" name comes from the first two letters of each parent species. See link below for more information and let me know what you think.

I hope you have a great season with your plants!

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia x lomi

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 22:07

11 years ago

This deserved a bump! :-)
    Tom, are you doing the plant shuffle, or is it too cold yet?

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

It's still too unstable for me here, Josh - next month.

11 years ago

Yeah, don't want to jump the gun...
    Sending Spring vibes, Jeff!

Josh

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all -

Thanks for the alternate ID (and the compliments!) Carol...I will take a look.

And, no, the shuffle has not started. In fact, many of my cold hardy bonsai are spending time in the garage - the past few days have been ridiculously cold! Today, a few may venture back out, but night temps have been in the mid to upper twenties.

Only my Yucca rostrata has stayed out during the cold snap. I do have some aloes and agaves in my small greenhouse...costs a mint to heat at night, though!

C'mon spring, already! Josh, send the heat my way too, please?

Thanks.

Tom

11 years ago

Well, it's raining here, but I imagine you'd appreciate this drippy 50F ;-)
    Sending the warmth your way, too, Tom!

Josh

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Tom, I'm dying for spring here in western Mass. It's been in the 30's. WTH?