Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twiltye

Echeveria Update

twiltye
9 years ago

{{gwi:553988}}

It's been a month since I potted these guys together and they're still alive!! Hooray!

{{gwi:553990}}
The copper roses have a much redder color after good sun, they were mostly green in the nursery and now they're a lovely maroon, while the new growth is bright green (makes it satisfying to watch it come in) Very exciting.

{{gwi:553991}}
However they seemed more prone to pests than the other echeveria, it looks a bit like something's been nibbling and I chased an earwig away this morning. They also don't have very deep roots, so I put some rocks around their base to support them a bit.

{{gwi:553992}}
The mystery echeveria hasn't changed at all, I think. The leaves at the bottom seem to spread out a bit? The middle at least is nice and compact.

{{gwi:553993}}
Graptoveria Moonglow--these two just look beautiful! I want to put them in a really colorful pot at some point, really make them stand out.

{{gwi:553994}}
Echeveria pulidonis. He seems to be doing okay. I potted him before I bought the perlite for the other pot, which I'll remedy next time for sure. He only ever seems to lose leaves on one side, and now he looks a little lopsided.

{{gwi:553995}}
All in all, a little worse for wear than when I bought them, I suppose.

I've been watering once a week, more or less.

Comments (18)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Once they settle in, over the Spring and Summer they'll fill out those pot in a really nice way. NIce choice of succulents!

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do hope so! Of course I'm a little impatient haha. I just can't wait to see them showing more signs of growth.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has dawned on me that if I want more plants I'm going to need more planters. Today I bought some bright buckets that I'm planning to punch some drainage holes in and use for the white succulents, which I think will look really adorable, and I'm looking into painting some pots! So excited.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:553996}}So, today I caved and bought an aeonium to give my collection a little more variety. Aeonium arboreum "Zwartkop" as well as some extra pots for painting. I spent the whole day going from nursery to nursery, starting at my school's plant sale.

I was pretty disappointed by our greenhouse :/ There wasn't much selection and the plants that were there were not in very good condition. I spotted two largeish snails chilling in a nursery pot. Guess I won't be taking our horticulture class.

And I ran into my much more experienced gardener of a neighbor, just as I was leaving another nursery. I get weirdly shy--like oh gosh she knows I'm starting to like plants how embarrassing. There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Nothing. However, if she tells my mom I keep spending money on these little succulents, that's a bit of a different story haha.

{{gwi:553998}}
    And here's the buckets I mentioned--won't they look lovely filled with succulents? They still need drainage holes, because I haven't gone through the garage to find a spare nail or anything yet, and I don't have quite enough to fill them, but just something for the future. And they were on sale. I kind of wish I'd gotten the orange/yellow/red ones instead though.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Twiltye'

To put holes in your plastic buckets,use a wood burner tool.makes perfect holes,with no ragged edges and won't crack the pot in the process.If you don't have one of those take a 2 prong meat fork,or an ice pick,heat them up on the burner of the gas stove and use it to poke holes.Not as clean cut/burnt as the wood burner does,but still does the job.

I've been using a wood burner tool for years,actually mine has seen more plastic than wood.

As with all things hot,use caution.When using the WB tool I have a ceramic old mug I use to hold mine.

Took another look at those containers,and on second look they look like they are metal,are they?? If so use the old fashioned church key type can opener or some call them bottle openers,you know the kind with the pointed end that we use to open evaporated milk cans.They are very pretty containers,like the bright colors.Also like all the plants.
    Kathi

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kathi--they are metal so no worries, it should be pretty simple whatever I end up doing. Plus I probably won't need them for a while, so it's not a huge issue at all.

Thanks anyway. I'll keep your advice in mind if I ever do wind up with plastic containers!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

don't forget to spray another layer of clear coat inside and outside of the buckets when you do decide to use them just incase its not really painted that great already (it happens!) so they wont rust from watering or raining ( if you decide to house them outside) I gotta get some new planters as well I dug up a few old pots but there still way to big for my itty bitty babies that are outgrowing there 1.5-2in pots they started growing in! if only I could find exactly what im looking for grrrrrrrr. GOODLUCK!

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Kat They look pretty solid to me, but probably a good idea anyway. Especially if I put drainage holes in, of course.

Are you looking for something more decorative or what? I've been roaming around looking at pots but it's very hard to actually commit and buy--I'm really tempted to get into pottery just for the sake of making my own perfect planters. And unique to boot! That'd be wonderful, I think.
    It'll be fun to paint the four inch pots and just keep a handful of extras around for repotting at all times. But I'm an art person anyway, so I have a lot of the materials for that already.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I had a larger collection to share! I'm so jealous of everyone else's. As it is I'll just keep sharing more pictures of the same plants haha.

{{gwi:553999}}

This echeveria seems to be having the most issues. I'm not sure what's nibbling it or how to find out--and I didn't spot it while taking the picture, but is that green spot an aphid? Some time after taking pictures I did mist the plants to wash the leaves a little bit, and I just checked and it isn't there so it must have been knocked off. You can see another shriveled leaf under the two in the front. Anyone know anything I can do about this?

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm problem?
    {{gwi:554000}}
    There's this white stuff in the middle of the rosettes. Not sure if it's debris or mealybugs or what have you. Looks kinda like cobwebs, but the camera can see better than I can with a magnifying glass or anything.
    {{gwi:554001}}

Should I worry? I already pulled a few leaves off to try and propogate either way.

And if it isn't anything to worry about, I still wish I could get in there and clean all that dust out!

• Hummingbird597
    9 years ago

Love the metal buckets - I also have some metal containers (cookie tins) that I hope to use for succulents.

@KittieKAT - what kind of clear coat product do you use? One of the rust-protective kinds or just plain polyurethane or what?

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Love the metal buckets. I have 2 (pink and blue) I bought at a yard sale for .25, they are super old and rusty...I like them that way.

Sorry to hear about your plants, I am certain some of the experts here can guide you.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did spritz them with some water to try and get some of the dirt and such off and I think they're fine, really--Just want to make sure. I'll give it another week or so to see if anything shows up.

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Here are the metal buckets I got at a yard sale for .25. I don't love the color, but they'll do.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh, those are quite nice, really. And for a quarter? That's way better than what I spent on my shiny new ones. At that price you really might as well have them. :)

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Agreed twiltye- but I love your bright vibrant colors better! (: when I repot them I'm sure they will look lovely (:

• breton2
    9 years ago

That white debris on your plant looks like shed aphid exoskeletons, to me. Have you noticed aphids on that plant??

Happy growing,
    Breton

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Breton, I haven't seen any aphids at all, and it looks more like a thin white film than anything. There's no structure at all.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County