Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twiltye

New additions--Another mystery echeveria

twiltye
9 years ago

I had a little extra time today, and the nursery on the way home from school was the perfect place to kill some forty minutes. Silly me, tempting myself like that.

But hey! Look how cool these guys are
{{gwi:554172}}

The first guy has an amazing texture

{{gwi:554173}}

Crassula Picturata, the tag says. But those spots! The leaves are actually quite dark and matte, I'm really excited to put it in an arrangement. Maybe put it in the pot I already have--I took out one of the echeveria because it wasn't growing so well and the roots weren't developing at all.

{{gwi:554174}}
Another echeveria. I seem to really go for the paler leaves. Ach. But I picked this one up because look in the first picture! So many leaves already getting rooted and sprouting leaves. And there was an extra rosette too. The tag didn't have the exact variety listed, unfortunately, and something tells me it will stay a mystery. Help?

This post was edited by twiltye on Mon, May 19, 14 at 20:44

Comments (19)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Lol I'm a clipping stealer myself, you sneaky sneaky person!

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No! They were in that pot, I swear! That's how I found them, and I definitely paid.

Not that there aren't one or two other leaves I have from other times... ehehe

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Haha, we always end up paying for something and still comming home with extras. :-D

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And I just noticed in the picture but above the smaller rosette you can see yet another rooted leaf! That makes six. I tried tugging on it but that one didn't want to come out--it'll have to wait until I get everything settled in. Ah well. With luck it's almost like I bought eight plants instead of one!

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoa! Look at the tiny roots here. I thought it was a baby but I guess it was a leaf that had had plenty of time to sprout. There's hardly a stem.

Also a spray bottle set to squirt a small stream is really nice to have. Little hand held, very gentle hose.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another picture

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

WOW look at you! And that lil sucker!!! Or should i say NOT so lil sucker!?!?! What a score i ended up coming home one trip with a few already blossoming cuttings myself, can't wait to see what they are gonna be, I'm thinking there Moon glows but i can't tell yet. Looks like yours are gonna be as big as your mama plant

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The mother has this one thick root, but she also seems to be sending out new pink roots from the stem? Should I be concerned? There's this odd black spot on the root and I'm not sure what's going on there.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:554176}}
    Got everything settled into a pot! My collection always seems so tiny lol

Closer pictures

{{gwi:554177}}
    {{gwi:554179}}

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does nobody see my posts or what

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

You did just post last night.. it takes some folks' longer to reply (due to their work schedule).

I'm not an Echeveria grower, so no idea on those. I do like the Crassula you found, definitely something I'd pick up if I ever saw one.

Planto

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

Very nice! Are all of yours outside? I am new and wondering how often to water indoor (air conditioning) Echeverias. Any advice? They are in Gritty Mix. Your pots look great!

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Planto Maybe, if the thread hadn't been up all day and other threads were moving along just fine. Or maybe I'm too used to talking to people online at odd times of the day every day.

And to treehugger, I wouldn't ask me for advice, since I only started two months ago. I keep them outside mostly, on some wooden steps on the eastern side of the house. Wish there were a better spot, but we haven't landscaped much at all and there's no furniture outside or anything. for now it's convenient. Not much filtered shade here to shelter plants during the hot hours.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Nice starting collection. Especially like that pattern on the crass picturata. Echevaria leaves seem to root at the drop of a hat. This is sucha cool characteristic of succulents that the one can become many. I don't think I'd worry about the black spot, unless it's mushy and water comes out. It's most likely a scar. The little fresh pink roots will be the ones to take over.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I figured the root was fine since it was really firm and had the majority of the finer roots coming off the end of it. And if anything happens, I have some seven rooting leaves to work from. A lot of the crassula leaves fell off while I was working with them too, so we'll see if I have any luck with those.

It's really hard! Keeping a manageable collection until we finish landscaping or until I move out. As much as I love the plants, I'd rather avoid having a dozen pots to carry around whenever I need to move them!

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

the great colors they develop in the spring

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

colors

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

colors

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

dudleya