Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Need Help with ID :-/ (Euphorbia) Lost tag! UGH!

jojosplants
9 years ago

Ok..
So .. we got this monster about 3 yrs or so ago.. it has been a slow grower,
I know I got it from Arid Lands and have been looking through their site but no luck yet. lol..

I was wondering if I could add my Haworthia truncata to the pot but want to more about the care of the Euphorbia first.

Thanks!
JoJo

Comments (14)

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Appears to be a Monadenium Ritcheii or however it is spelled. Considered to be in the Euphoria family. I give mine full sun but they need less water than the haworthia.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know.? that doesn't seem like a match.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where is everyone? LOL...

I've been looking through the site and no luck yet.. but have made out a wish list for other plants. lol...

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok.. it might be Euphorbia caput-medusae aka E. flanaganii . May have to just drag it down to Arid lands and ask them. lol.. It's acutally one hubby picked out and he liked the odd ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibly this

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Your top stringy growth is the normal tell tale for a medusae type of Euphorbia. It's breaking and growing nicley.

E. flanaganii also a medusae will develop a very nice caudex.
    While there might want to ask about the combo Euphorbia and cati potting.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Nomen~
    Thank you for your help!

I actually hate Euphorbia's :-/ But hubby had to pick something out... and I asked him recently to go find his plant in the greenhouse and he had no clue.. He just wanted to shop. lol.. medusae sounds like something he would pick . lol

The little thimble cactus, blank on the real name at the moment.. Arizona snow cap or something like that.. I had just tossed in there because it's pot got knocked over. lol..

It's a Hawothia I want to add to the pot. I'll try and do a little more google.. Not sure when I can get over to Arid lands..

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

First, it is definitely not Monadenium ritchii. While it might be Euphorbia flanaganii, it hasn't developed the characteristic flat medusoid "cap". Euphorbia caput-medusa is commonly confused with flanaganii but the arms are much thicker and it usually has white flowers while flanaganii has thinner arms and yellow flowers, the operative being "usually". Your plant may develop when older and look more like E. flanaganii.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi bikerdoc,
    Arid lands web site does mention the two are often confused. It hasn't bloomed yet, and should be bigger than it is, but everyone got less care than they should have last year due to major changes in our lives here.

I can take it in and ask them one of these days. lol..

Thanks for your help!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Best I can tell the Euphorbia will need more water in the summer than the other.. so I wont be mixing them.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

This might help.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bikerdoc,
    Thank you! Those are great pictures!

• danbonsai
    9 years ago

Howard, very nice plants, and great photograghy, as per usual.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Always room here for anouther Euphorbia Jo Jo.. Enjoy it though. Euphorbias very diverse with so so many to choose from, they can really grow on you in more ways than just one.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi nomen..
    If I were to ship it off that would be the day he would go looking for it. lol.. I think I will move it out of that pot and use it for something else.
    I like arrangements.