Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

Does this happen to you?

notolover
9 years ago

Do well meaning friends/relatives give you plants that you don't really want?

I have limited space, and I'm down to very few plants that aren't Echinopsis hybrids. Friday, someone picked up a "Fairy Castle" for me. It had a bunch of straw flowers on it and my co-worker was very happy to give this to me. And she made a point of discussing the lovely color of the flowers :-)

It was very sweet of her to think of me, but now I have a plant that I have to find a space for and take extra special care of because it is a gift. I guess it's payback for the cactus I gave her a few months ago that she probably didn't want. :-)

Comments (13)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes...it happens. Got a big Kalanchoe blossfeldiana recently from a co-worker. Always the common plants.

Josh

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

No, it hasn't happened to me yet.. but I love the pay back theory.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

I've ended up with quite a few, and even more outdoor things like tree seedlings, bulbs, perennials, etc. Everyone assumes because I have a big yard, that I want their trees....so now I have quite a woods in one area.

My solution: every time a conversation comes up about plants, my yard, trees, or anything of the sort, I promptly say "yeah, I'm cutting back....I have too many plants and no more room". I put the kibosh on any ideas someone might have.

Joe

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Yes! A friend called to say she was on her way over with a big aloe she found by the road. Said it was about a foot in diameter. Well she showed up with an Agave angustifolia that was at least 4 foot in diameter - and all chewed up from a weed whacker.

I have no room for a plant that big. Plus it was crammed into her hatchback roots first. No way for us to pull it back out without ripping up the interior of the car. Funny side story - she found a few baby black snakes in the car over the next week.

• notolover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Crenda, that story is hilarious!!!

I especially like the part about the baby snakes! Talk about a good deed going wrong :-) Her poor car, but on the other hand, she probably won't be picking stuff up on the side of the road for you any time soon.

Joe--that may not work for me because those close to me know what an addictive personality I have for cacti (they miss the part that I mostly collect E hybrids), but I'll give it a try.

I guess we should be glad that people try to make us happy.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Darn notolover i guess i won't be giving you any cacti for a gift lol just kidding, i get gifts of the saddest looking cacti in the whole store by my bf, he knows i tend to pick the saddest ones to help get back to normal and thrive.... but some of the one's he brings me i have to make sure i can do something to help or if i should just put it to rest, luckily they have ALL recovered.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Yes, been sucked into the "heres a plant because you grow stuff syndrome".
    Actually my space is large, but energy is very limited. So, if any green bodies make it home its got to be particularly chosen by moi. In fact, I get upset if during repots my plants wind up breaking into divisions,NOOOOoOoOooooo!
    I hear ya. I even think Ive reached a saturation point with echis. :(

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

As a generality, unless you know someone has a need or has expressed desire in an object, plant or otherwise, objects make horrible gifts. After a few decades, one's house fills with them, each sentimental and occupying valuable space. It would feel like a snub at the relationship to get rid of any. No, you don't love that person any less if you don't have room for the doohickey they gave you, but it's only human to have that guilt when eliminating items that were gifts. It's a tough burden to bear. Something consumable (or wearable) is so much easier on the recipient, and probably more appreciated!!

To answer the specific question, the co-worker gift plant seems easier since it's not a family member and you can take it home where they don't know what becomes of it, and then maybe re-gift it to someone your co-worker doesn't know, unless your relationship with them is close enough that they would visit your house. If you have pets or kids, you can always blame a missing plant on an accident caused by them.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

hahahahahahahhaahhhahahaahaaa! oh sure blame the cats or the kids, good one lol! I myself have about 2 fairy castle cacti, I like them...and i'm here in MA so I doubt they will ever come down here looking for that cacti they gave you as a gift. just a thought! lol

lets see a picture of this little guy we've been talking about

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I've gotten lots of free stuff.. including three huge Agave Americanas from my bosses' yard I had to dig up(I was cheaper than the neighborhood gardener- free of charge if I kept them, and I did :D).

• hijole
    9 years ago

Hillarious!! I read most of them and they are funny because I think we can all relate to this.

Jojo, I like the pay back theroy Haha!

I have to admit tho I've recieved some nice stuff from people trying to get rid of stuff and I think, Boy talk about being in the right place at the right time THANKS! Yes I want that. And then I pick it up emmediately before they change their mind. :)

Greg

• notolover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aztcqn: Good to know you are the saturation point with E. hybrids. I was going to will mine to you :-)

KittieKat: I'll post a picture, but the "flowers" mysteriously dropped off when I took it out of the plastic bag.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Maybe it's time folks start practicing saying "thanks but no thanks".

Several yrs. ago, I did start saying thanks but no thanks, am all out of room (& that's an excuse that'll definitely fly here in NYC).

This from the woman who has taken on fostering Sans & Euph miliis from my local Indoor Gardening Society when they remain unwanted after meetings, sigh.