Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Aloe ID -- Sweet Aloe?

Crenda 10A SW FL
9 years ago

A neighbor brought me this plant and said it is a "sweet aloe." Supposedly it tastes better than your average Aloe vera and is on the sweet side, instead of sour. I really doubt I will be eating any of my aloe, but several of my neighbors say this one is great. They peel it first.

The closest I can find to a name for this sweet aloe is Aloe barbadensis var Miller. I can find few images of the plant and can't really tell if this is the same. I guess it has fewer aloins and thus tastes sweeter.

Does this sound right to you folks? It's an attractive plant and they tell me it pups readily. The leaves are not plump like an Aloe vera. Rather thin, actually.

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

saponaria aka maculata. the spotted aloes are particularly hard to id without the flowers, but that is the most common one seen.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I thought the same thing about trying to ID the plant.

Have you heard of a plant being called sweet aloe? My searches keep taking be back to Aloe barbadensis, with some mentioning the var. Miller. My neighbor is German and says this is a sweet Aloe vera. I don't think they look like the same plant at all, but then many people call all aloes by the name Aloe vera.

Here's the plant next to my A. vera. Both are about a foot in diameter. Oh well. I'll plant it, enjoy it and wait for flowers. But I won't eat it!

This post was edited by Crenda on Wed, May 28, 14 at 12:17

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

barbadensis = Aloe vera. Aloe vera has obscure origins and may be some kind of hybrid rather than a species found in nature, though the origin is thought to be likely central east Africa.

Have not heard of sweet Aloe. "Bitter Aloe" is A. ferox. Perhaps people refer to "sweet" as to mean "the aloe that is not the bitter aloe which is Aloe ferox". The botanical names are always going to be more reliable than common names, which can vary and can refer to completely different plants depending on location.

Aloe are used as emetics or laxatives, so eating them is not advised.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

To add to Hoovb's comment,

Eating them is not advised,

particularly by someone unfamiliar with the plants or why one eats them (suggesting eating this, if such suggestion was made is a bit wreckless & irresponsible if you ask me).

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - I agree with you both. My neighbor was telling me to put this in smoothies and it was great all by itself. Nope - not me! And he couldn't tell me what kind of aloe this is - just sweet. I'm allergic to enough plants that I am the Benadryl Gel queen. Can you imagine even trying something like this - unknown? Yikes!

I had forgotten that Aloe vera is barbadensis, but of course got a reminder when searching this elusive "sweet" thing.

Thanks to both of you!

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Weighing in...I have never heard of a "sweet" Aloe.

Aloe barbadensis (vera) has been used for medicinal purposes as well as a raft of other uses (lotions, etc.), Aloe vera var. chinensis is a spotted form, but not like your plant. Also, when you say you found Aloe vera var. Miller, I believe you're mistaking the way it is written as thinking it is a variety name, when the name Miller is for the person finding/naming it. Did it say "var." after the Aloe vera name?

Aloe maculata (saponaria) is considered Soap Aloe & as such, I wouldn't advise trying to eat it. This one should have brown teeth, which doesn't look like the color on yours (that I can see).
    You really need to have booms for determination of ID on spotted Aloes.

Aloe grandidentata looks similar to yours (but not quite right) & is a prolific pupper. Still, blooms would help tremendously.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

My Aloe grandidentata from the past. Skinny ones grown in shade, wider leaf had more sun. Click for larger view.

{{gwi:555115}} {{gwi:555116}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - one website called it Aloe barbadensis var Miller. But after I did more searching this morning, I, too, decided that they were referencing the MIller who named it. Strange, if not deceiving, that is said var. after the name.

Here's a closer look. It does have brownish teeth.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County