Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

Aeonium Explosion!

hanzrobo
9 years ago

So, Aeoniums bloom and sometimes I forget to chop them. Well, this time there was a strong wind and a subsequent rainstorm. Not long after, these guys started popping up everywhere.
{{gwi:555184}}

{{gwi:555185}}

{{gwi:555186}}

{{gwi:555187}}

{{gwi:555188}}

{{gwi:555190}}

{{gwi:555192}}

{{gwi:555193}}

and here's a complimentary crest for mc cholla.
{{gwi:555194}}

Comments (15)

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Great collection.
    Love the variety.
    Karen

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Omg how cute! Ive been looking for an aeonium for a while and every time i find one there too far gone to save :-( -such beautiful collection and those little aeoniums scattered thru out the plants are too adorable and reall make me smile! Aren't plant's amazing sometimes

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

That's nuclear proliferation of the good kind, R, and I remember you pointing out a few of those, but like the crazy cat lady, you're courting a rep. I guess from the way they spread the only explanation is wind-blown seed, right? Dust in the wind.

I am having a hard time with my crest. Yours is sooooo nice. Did we repot that one? That plant should be propagated gangbusters-like.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 0:23

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Great surprises! Sure beats the heck out of finding weeds!

-Ming

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, y'all! I've been wanting to share this for weeks, hard to find time.

Yes, these are definitely the prettiest weeds I have.

J, yes, dust in the wind. I feel like each one is pretty lucky, like the sperm who finds the egg. Out of 1000's of seeds, these ones found a place they could grow. It'll be fun to grow them together and observe the tiny differences. Yes, we repotted that one. It's very happy, can't wait til it starts to grow again. You had such a tiny piece, not surprising that it'd be tricky, especially this time of year.

So, we're going to Knott's Berry Farm today! I won't be able to respond again til much later or tomorrow. Happy Sunday everybody!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Aw... look at all the babies!
    Yes, prettiest weeds I've ever seen! Love them !

Have fun at Knott's Berry!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

That is so cool!

Josh

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Anywhere, anytime, aeonium. Like an alien invasion, they seem to just appear for you. Have you opened the crisper in your fridge and found them there yet? ;-)

Great shots.

tj

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

You guys know better but are those a new kind sprouted from the mother plant. They look so different. Very nice.
    Stush

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Wow! I wish the high winds would do the same for me. Instead it does it to the "mother of thousands".

• notolover
    9 years ago

Sometimes everything in the universe lines up--and allows you to get all these lovely babies everywhere!

Thanks for sharing your pics :-)

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Love them, Ryan!

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

THIS is the kind of explosion I LIKE! I have never found any come up from seed. Great babies!

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Aaaw, that IS cool! SO cute peeking out from all corners and pots. Succulents are pretty amazing. Like a cat with 10 lives, leaves, stems and of course seeds!

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everybody:) I almost forgot to check back on this thread, been rushing around cleaning up a little disaster:/

The new puppy, about 7 months old now, I don't know what got into him but he decided to do some digging and pot tipping while we were gone for the day. I'm still cleaning up the mess, just wanted to pop in here and say thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Jojo, thanks, we did have fun! It's perfect for kids and they even had some rides that were too scary for me.

Josh, thanks, it's one of my favorite phenomena that's beginning to happen around here more often. First it was Echeveria and Dudleya volunteers, then a few Cotyledons popped up, now this. I've noticed that Anacampseros freely sprout if the seeds are left to the wind, so much so that they'll fill up their own pots with seedlings, making seed propagation of the plant almost pointless.

tj, hee-hee! Anywhere, anytime, Aeonium... for men.
    I'd wear it.
    Nope, none in the crisper, lol!

Stush, good point. I've noticed little differences in all of them, not just that some are purple and some are bicolor. I'm wondering if they're from the same mama or 2 different mamas. It might become clear as they grow out.

chicagardens, I get those too! Those are the real weeds. I have this other, similar Kalanchoe that does the same thing but this one has leaves that are almost black and I don't mind if it volunteers elsewhere. Jeff knows the name of it.

Noto, that is exactly how I felt:)

Thank you, Laura, your Aloes are very happy here. Twilight Zone is still working on that aerial pup:))

Ro! Thanks! I think I'll bookmark this thread and come back at the end of winter with some progress on these. I plan on removing them after summer. I hope you and all the family and the animals are doing well!

aztcqn, that's one of the things that fascinated me from the beginning.