Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Crassula (Jade Plant) ID?

greendale
9 years ago

Hi,

I have some Jade Plants that I do not know their variety. Appreciate any helps.

1. Are these two Crassula Ovata 'Hummel Sunset' ? Or they are just the regular Jade plant that "hard grown" to get this kind of color?

{{gwi:555365}}

2. What are these two cuttings? How can I maintain the yellow color? I have the same yellow cutting last year but it lost its yellow color as seen in the bottom picture now.

{{gwi:555366}}

{{gwi:555367}}

3. What is this Jade plant called.
{{gwi:555368}}

Again, Thanks a lot.

Comments (17)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I have jades but haven't sorted all my names yet, although your last one looks like Crassula arborescens 'Bluebird' to me; I know I would probably try and root the variegated section on the green jade separately, bit I don't know the name. However, they are all lovely, I just wanted to say.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

The first one definitely looks like the right cutting is a Sunset Jade...the other could be, too.

The second cuttings....one looks like 'Crosby's Compact' and the other some odd variegated type, which I haven't seen named.

Third cutting also looks like a Compact.

Fourth is definitely a Crassula arborescens, but I can't remember what the thin non-wavy leaf is called.

Josh

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Marguerite Thank you.

Hi, Josh:

It is great news that I finally own a hummel sunset.LOL.

The left cutting on the second picture is Crassula Ovata 'Crosby Compact'? I thought Crosby Compact is the same as Hummel Sunset? Also, when I check the pictures Crosby Compact, it is more colorful then my cuttings. (But of course the grow condition makes a lot difference).

The Crassula Ovata in the third picture I got from Home Depot this past winter, when I got it, it is yellowing like the right cutting on the second picture, but the yellowing leaves all turned to the green-redish color like shown on the picture now. My friend got another from Home Depot this spring and shared with me one of its branch. I just want to see if the same thing happens to this cutting. Maybe it just a not-so-stable variety?

There is a wavy leaf version for a Crassula arborescens? (you just had me put something on my wish list now. LOL). what is the wavy leaf version called?

Again, thanks.
    -Greendale

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I.kno there's a silver wavy jade tree called, Crassula arborescens 'Undulatifolia' And there is a wavy jade plant i Beleive is called Crassula ovata undulata aka "jitters" ...i think that's all of them...there might be one more But I'm stuck on the name

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

The wavy Crassula aborescens is the one Marguerite mentioned, known as Crassula arborescens ssp. undulatifolia 'Blue Bird'. This is a photo of mine.

I saw them at Lowe's this afternoon, as well as a solitary genuine Hummel's Sunset...If only I had the cash and the room...

Christopher

9 years ago

Hello!

'Crosby's Compact' is a small-leaf compact variety....which also develops striking color, from rich purples, maroons, and reds to bright yellows, gold, and orange. However, it is definitely not the same as 'Hummel's Sunset,' which has a larger leaf and a different pattern of coloration. Growing conditions dramatically affect the colors of both.

The wavy leaf C. arborescens ssp. undulatifolia goes by a few names if I remember rightly: 'Blue Waves,' 'Blue Bird,' 'Whirly Bird.' and maybe others, too. You'll know it when you see it, though....the undulating leaves are a dead giveaway.

Josh

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kittiekat, stop right there. I am gonna broke if you tell me more names that I MUST have. LOL.

Christopher, that's a little gem you hot there. Is that a pot or you reuse something else. I never saw wavy leaf jade or hummel's sunset in our lowe's, but I will be checking it again this week. Thanks for the picture now I know what I am looking for.

Josh, again, thank you.

-greendale

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I saw a few of them they other day while snooping around, lol, they were almost begging for me to take one of them home but my porch is starting to look like a small jungle and I gatta start to repot some together or im gonna have a huge forrest by the time its winter and by that time there will be sooooo many little plants with individual pots im not gonna have room to live!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Christopher, I'm mad about that pot, it suits the plant, they are just right for each other. Is the plain, oval-leaved 'Bluebird' look-alike called Silver Dollar jade, by any chance.
    Oh, what is it about jades that is so addictive ? Whatever causes it, I have it.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

The new shipment of succulents at my Lowe's must have come in a bit over a week ago. The best plants go fast, and the others are left to die a slow painful death under the loving care of Lowe's employees.

The pot my plant is in is a proper pot, with a proper hole in the bottom, though the spherical shape will make repotting at a later date quite the chore.

Christopher

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Marguerite, thanks for liking the pot.

The 'regular' C. arborescens is indeed also known as Silver Dollar Jade. It is not as common as it once was, as C. ovata seems to be more popular today.

Christopher

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Christopher,

I told you my fear of the recurve isn't completely irrational, which, I think, you scoffed at at the time. I'm here to remind you of that, because I care.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Jeff, my good man...

Did I really deride your fear of the sphere? I can't recall that I did, but if so, I assure you, I see where you are coming from, and my Bluebird may soon have to fly to a new abode.

Christopher

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Christopher,

I've long maintained you're an annular genius and will do the right thing when needed, always.

9 years ago

The C. arborescens known as Silver Dollar Jade is actually a different form than the thin-leafed cultivars. Silver Dollar is very thick by comparison.

Josh

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the SIlver Dollar Jade (C. Arboresens) you talked about, right? (With sunburned Crassula ovata Hobbit behind it)

{{gwi:555370}}

Also, while I browse my old picture, I think I actually have the wavy leaf (Blue Bird) version of C. Arborescens? I have attached a picture from last summer, you can see the younger C. Arborenscens with wavy leaf. (Top of the three) And the younger C.Arborenscens (Silver Dollar Tree - right bottom one) in the picture too. Wish any of you can share a matured C. Arborescens 'Blue Bird' to see if it keeps the wavy leaves when it grows up. :)

{{gwi:555372}}

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Yes, that is the old fashioned Silver Dollar Jade in the first photo. As I said, not as commonly available as it used to be years ago, at least in my neck of the woods.

Christopher

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery