Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloe_fan

Need Information: Aloe Ramosissima

aloe_fan
13 years ago

Hello, I am new to the forum. Been growing succulents for a few years now. I recently purchased a seedling Aloe Ramosissima. The plant is only 4" tall. I water the plant sporadically and keep it on the dry side. It is currently in free draining soil that is very light. It currently resides on the south side of the house on our patio. The plant gets early morning sun to about 2 p.m. My question is this; can I overwinter this plant in a storage room with a south facing window? From the last few years of doing research the information I could find suggests this is a winter growing species. Will the Ramosissima grow this summer and allow me to overwinter the plant into dormancy this winter? My wife and I live in Southern Missouri zone 6b. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony

Comments (5)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

No, that's a sure way to kill it. It wants minimal to no water in the summer - that's why it's called a winter grower; the majority of its growth period is in the winter. You should grow it in your window in the winter, giving it as much sun and temps of at least 65F. The soil choice sounds good, but you can't change its dormancy/growth period to that degree, IMO and IME.

• caudex1
    13 years ago

It will grow during the summer as long as it's not too hot, over 90f it will start dormancy. They can take summer water as long as the soil drains completely, if not you'll rot it out. Doesn't like wet feet. Like Jeff said you can't change it's seasonal growth pattern.

• xerophyte NYC
    13 years ago

Hmmm - I beg to differ. I keep mine overwinter in my cold garage where temps hover in the 38-55F range consistently. It, along with Aloe pillansii and other supposed "winter growers" take this treatment just fine.

They have been outdoors since March and are doing quite well. I leave them out all summer long. Like caudex1 said, a heat wave could be problematic especially when the nights also stay hot and muggy. In that case, I move them under cover as needed so they don't get excess rain.

Like I have stated before on this forum, the term "winter grower" is very misleading. One should think of SW African Aloes and other plants as opportunistic and having a tendency to shut down growth during hot periods to various degrees.

As long as it is warm and sunny they will grow and will respond well to watering, provided the mix is appropriate (no time to discuss that here).

If is too hot, hold back on the water. Reduced plant metabolism during heat is a coping mechanism, so the plant does not utilize water. A wet soil mix could spell doom.

Cold weather also leads to a dormant state. When I winter my plants in the cold, I barely give them water for months, they don't get light, and they don't skip a beat.

In my experience, Aloe plicatilis is by far the least tolerant of hot weather + moisture.

YMMV as always

x

• aloe_fan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, thus my problem. Right now the plant is outside enjoying the sun and open air. So should I plan on leaving the plant outside until September, then bring it in and start watering it as the cooler weather hits? I grow Agave here in Southern Missouri which are easier to work with given they grow in the summer and are dormant in the winter. So you see my problem. The Ramosissima is a prized plant in my collection, so I only want to treat the plant with the best care possible. So, water if any in the summer, then bring the plant inside and start regular watering when the plant is actively growing? Does this sound right, or should I do what xerophyte_nyc suggests?

• prugs
    9 months ago

We have had this maiden's quiver tree for about a month. It's growing very Quickly in Arizona. The pot looks large but when we removed it from the original plastic pot from the nursery , we found it be root bound.

The sun is very intense in Phoenix, It has adapted to 8 hours of sunlight.

Watering it thoroughlee every 5 days. We used fertillome cactus soil and extra pearlight for drainage. I'm a miracle grow fan 1/2 strength, don't water the leaves.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz