Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Echinopsis mamillosa Update

Posted by FerocactusLatispinus Central WI (kdlau@live.com) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 22:41

I've been misting it, but it hasn't been improving at all, and the flower bud is still growing. So, I think that means the plant's not dormant. From that conclusion, I checked the roots today, and I thought they were healthy the first time I posted. However, the whole system has been dried out from the beginning. I cut all the dead roots back to the base of the plant leaving two root bases. I've got it lying in the soil with the base's current state as seen in the second link. I'll continue the care of it as has been instructed.

Actually, should I make a larger, cleaner cut and let it callous over? Also, do you think I should remove the bud (flowering uses a lot of energy...)?

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii499/FerocactusLatispinus/SDC10392.jpg

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii499/FerocactusLatispinus/SDC10391.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Echinopsis mamillosa Update

Hi Fero,

That's no flower bud, that's a pup. I would leave it as-is until it begins developing roots, then pot it up. I would also stop misting it.

Nancy

o
RE: Sick Echinopsis mamillosa Update

Sorry Nancy. I should have clarified that I'm just referring to the main plant as far as misting and making a larger root base surface cut goes, since it has no roots. I've been advised I should mist the plant until I see new growth. I just thought it might be a flower bud, because I've noticed it grew from above the areole and is growing up and outwards. www.cactus-art.biz has a "Cactuspedia" where it shows a flower stalk on the species. I'm thinking the base of the stalk looks similar. If it is a pup, that also sucks some energy from the main plant, and I've got to get the main plant established first.

*I had an old post a while back last month, and the links don't work anymore (wasn't thinking when deleting images on photobucket!)*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here