Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweathers_gw

Watering

tweathers
9 years ago

How long should I let my pots go bone rdy I'm putting them in full sun now since last month and I'm having to water a couple times a week now just wondering how long I should let the soil be completely dry before watering or is watering as soon as the soil is rdy the best thing to do? Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aloe carmin,aloe minnie belle,aloe vera, aloe zanzibar, and tiger jaws i also have a climbing aloe aloe ciliaris The plant beside the climbing aloe is aloe vera I'm assuming am I right?

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better pic of aloe vera?

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just some more pics of them after watering yes I'm using cactus/succulent soil

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry I can't suggest a watering regimen for you as I only grow indoors.

I would like to suggest in the last pic Aloe, that pot is too big & the mix needs lots more perlite (even if it IS C&S mix). The combination of those 2 things can lead to root rot, just so you know.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

There is no set schedule. If the plant appears to need water, then water it. You don't list your zone. The zone you live in can play a part as far as the intensity of the sun light you get. If you live in the southwest, your summers are hotter with more intense light than those who live in the northeast, for example. Arizona may need to water it's plants 2 times a day whereas Maine may need to water only every 2 weeks.
    Also, Tiger Jaws is actually Faucaria tigrina, not Aloe. I don't know if their care is any different, but you should know, just in case.

Nancy

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it's not aloe just a cool plant I thought would look good with my aloe but I live in missouri and put the plants in full sun from sun up till nightfall I had to slowly do it but I got them use to the full sun figure they will grow faster with more sun causing more watering I have been having to water every 2 to 3 days before I had them in full sun it was 1 time a week if that

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

I don't understand how you get away with using your soil as you do, but if it works....I've seen soil like that with healthy plants in them only in Arizona. I know it gets hot in MO but it doesn't get that hot (115-120F), does it?

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No way only been hitting high 80s low 90s but usually full sun no clouds and it's really humid extremely humid! Maybe that's what helps me out?

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also stir the top inch or 2 a few times a day to help promote drying im sure that helps too but my soil really doesn't stay damp long at all

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Stirring isn't good for roots, just so you know. A proper soil won't need such.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Rot can come from the bruised roots. I live in Texas and I grow most of my aloes with just more than half day sun. Only a few get the full treatment. Texas sun gets brutal. We have humidity some years where I am. HUmidity is a weird beast. It bring moisture in rain, usually, but it also robs the plants of a much deserved break with cool nights when humidity comes with heat. With coolness, the plants won't get the evaporation it needs. The sun does sound like it is doing the drying. It would be better to get your plants draining. Be wary of sunburn when the heat hits. Here in the brutal summer, with draining soil , I water once a week. Some I back off even further because they go dormant in true summer and stop drinking and rot can set in during the summer then. My Aloe broom iii has given me years of touble trying to figure it out. I put it in shade now in the summer. That one hates summer water and summer sunshineI think (scratching head still). I have the smallest 6 year old aloe.. Some aloes are more tolerant of soggy roots than others. Also, remember , in nature small plants get some shade from larger plants, rocks and other things, even grass coverage. They work into their sun hardiness. This is especially true of cactus. They are not necessarily born tough cookies.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Even here in Tucson, Arizona it's a tough battle and not worth it. Too dry and the mix will repel water. To keep it so it doesn't the roots end up in too much moisture.
    We've been at around 103 the past few days and climbing. :-)

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I only stir the top half inch of soil there aren't any roots there