Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

What is this flowering succulent plant?

ostrich
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to succulents, so please bear with me! A couple of years ago, I was given a couple of cuttings of a succulent plant by a friend. I had no idea what it was, and so I just stuck it into a pot with soil. Nothing much happened for a while until last year, when it finally started to grow. Yesterday, it even started to bloom! It has these huge flower buds which would burst open to form this gigantic, pink flower so I could not help but to whip out my camera to take some photos:

{{gwi:556214}}

It appears to be slightly fragrant even! There are several other buds on this plant too. The succulent leaves are quite soft and require some staking. As you may notice, the buds are formed along the serrated edge of the succulent leaves. What on earth is it please? How should I be caring for it? You advice is much appreciated!

Comments (12)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Could be an Epiphyllum--there are quite a few species and hundreds (or thousands) of hybrids. Mine started blooming this week.

• laura1
    14 years ago

You might (hehe) be doing something right already since it has grown and BLOOMED!
    Very nice!

• prayerrock
    14 years ago

I would agree that since it is blooming so well you seem to be doing a fine job caring for it! I would guess it to be an epie of some sort...or maybe a rhipsalis.

• gardenbear1
    14 years ago

it looks like a epie to me and your doing a great job with it, its still to early for mine to bloom but with the weather warming up I might get some to start budding soon I hope

Bear

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help! I very much appreciate it!

I had no idea what an "epiphyllum" was before, but I guess now I have learned!!! :-)

BTW, it sounds to me that epiphyllums don't typically bloom very well? Am I getting the correct message here???

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

They flower usually around mother's day. Let them go dormant during the winter months, and be sure starting about March to let them have some sun, fertilizer right after they flower because that is when they will grow. Sun will help them produce flowers. Don't change location when coming into bud, and yes this is an Epi, and all of the above information is very accurate. Epiphyllums flower very well, and the older they get the better they flower, they like to be crowded, and like a rich soil with decayed leaves, they are tropical jungle plants.
    They make wonderful hanging basket subjects, flowers come in several sizes, colors. Norma

• Mentha
    14 years ago

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that Epies are Cactus, and not really succulent as they require more water than their ground dwelling cousins. Other than that, it looks like you've got some good advise.
    Epies will bloom when they have been established in their pots for a while, some say they need to be pot bound, but others will dissagree. I grow mine for the long stems they produce, as I'll only see flowers maybe two weeks out of the year. As for a gigantic bloom, that appears to be small for an Epie, some hybrids can have blooms as large as a dinner plate.

• rosie100
    14 years ago

It may be an aporocactus. They bloom this time of year and look like a mini-epi.

• Mentha
    14 years ago

It's not an aporocactus, if it's not an Epiphyllum, then it could be Nopalxochia phyllanthoides, but it is really hard to tell with only a side shot of the flower. My guess, because of the yellow bud in the picture is it's Epiphyllum "Padre".

• Sheryl Grant
    7 years ago

it is indeed an epiphyllum. Also known as an orchid cactus. It requires filtered light, not hot direct sunlight otherwise they will burn. It can stand some drying out but needs water when flowering. They prefer rose food too. I have a few of them. A light pink, yellow and red. They truly are beautiful flowers. Cuttings are easy to take too. They are quite expensive to buy, so you have the p[otential to grow quite a lot from one plant and give away. New growth usually takes a couple of years to flower, as they only flower on the older leaves. I usually cut mine back and keep it more compact and it flowers profusely

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Did you notice Ostrich asked about the plant 7 1/2 years ago?