Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulent ID please

Posted by vjwarner 8b (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 23:12

Hello! Just got these cuties at Seattle's Volunteer Park Conservatory plant sale and have a few ?. Firstly what are they so I know how to care? Secondly, I've read many differing options/facts regarding growing succs in an open terrarium. Some say in the long run it doesn't pay off while others well, differ. Any books or websites someone can recommend for a reliable source? Finally, will they grow well together, or do they require the same sort of care?

Thanks to all who respond!! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulent ID please

Oh man I just saw the little one at the nurseries a couple days ago--echeveria amethorum I think? Or it was graptoveria. That's all I can add lol

o

Ha! I'll look it up and see. They are wicked cute and my hubby had to have them. He really wants me to put them into an open terrarium. We'll see.

Gracias!

o

I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on terrariums too--I think they're super cute and I love the aesthetic.

From what I can tell, it can work mostly okay as long as you are extra extra careful to never water too much. I have to wonder whether glass with a drainage hole would work? That seems difficult to make, though. Plant choice too, I guess. I don't have enough experience in that regard yet! It would take some experimentation.

I was very very tempted to buy one myself! They have an adorable shape to them.

o

Succulent terrariums = not good. Their need for air circulation, never mind being cooked by the glass, obviates that type of setting from being successful..

o

One of those plants, the green one, is the most excellent Crassula ovata 'Hobbit.' Enjoy!

Josh

o

My plan for the plants is to put them into a bowl while keeping them in the air. I'm not putting them into the bowl. And I've read that adding a layer of drainage rock helps. But, I worry the water will sit in the rocks and give too much humidity. Now I'm rambling. I'll try my idea and see how it goes!

Mil gracias for all your responses!!

o

The other one that looks like it's got red mouth is a baby jade i Beleive or acrassula hobbit

o

Yes, xGraptoveria 'Amethorum', Crassula ovata 'Hobbit' & other could be xPachyveria.

o

My plan for the plants is to put them into a bowl while keeping them in the air. I'm not putting them into the bowl. And I've read that adding a layer of drainage rock helps. But, I worry the water will sit in the rocks and give too much humidity. Now I'm rambling. I'll try my idea and see how it goes!

Mil gracias for all your responses!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here