Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vermiculite....good or bad?

Posted by Hopesndreams 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 23:37

Is vermiculite good or bad to use in a succulent mix? I want to make sure I make the right mix for my plants. Just confused on what I should be using after reading so many posts. I have a huge bad of vermiculite and am hoping it would be good at add to my potting soil.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vermiculite....good or bad?

Umm isnt that what they use for plant mix at the stores? If so i wouldnt use it ... since cacti like to dry out between watering it dries up and forms a block that doesnt absorb and more water and it just washes by it ... and then your cactus never recieves water again ...

o
or maybe

Or maybe im Thinking of peat ... but heres a link to a similar post ...

Here is a link that might be useful: other post

o

I have used perlite and vermiculite for many years. I prefer large grain perlite, as vermiculite can have various effects on soil pH. I do not use more than say 20% if I use it. It does help with aeration insulation, but degrades quicker than perlite I believe. Here is a link that would require some reading, but there is lots of info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perlite & vermiculite

o

Woah beach where do you even start on that o_o

o

Very informative link, Rian. I've been told that vermiculite is a fine addition to soil when used as Rian suggested. I don't use it only because it's much more expensive than other materials available.
Many of us mix our own soil and everyone does it a little differently. You can try to follow the 'gritty mix' guidelines but I haven't been able to acquire all the ingredients.
What I do is to sift all the fines out of each of my components with a large wire strainer. I start with either bagged cactus soil or regular potting soil. I add volcanic pumice and Napa oil absorbent, together making up about 50%. After sifting our all the fines, this mix is a little too gritty, a little rough in my opinion. I like to add fines back into the mix in the form of coco peat which does not become hydrophobic. I don't add much, but enough to add some buffer between all the sharp grit. I don't really measure anything, just shoot for a certain texture.

o

I think at Uline the Vermiculite is not too expensive. Because such a 4 cu. ft. bag makes a lot of soil mix.

Jordi

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermiculite

o

Thanks Jordi! I have their catalog!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here