Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dotbat215

Okay sand for succulent soil.

Dotbat215
9 years ago

I have some succulents that I purchased that need to move to a bigger pot. They are in the original pots from the store and I have been reading up on making soil. I have crushed rocks from Michael's crafts....can I use this in my soil mix?

Comments (14)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Usually you'd want perlite or granite or Some sort or pebble sized rocks, some people crush volcanic rock, the best sand to use would be contractors sand not fine sand or play sand. I'm sure other people will chime in soon

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

A number of people have varying opinions about adding sand to a potting mix. I'm of the school that you shouldn't, as it can cause compaction. Despite what it stated online, it does not aid in drainage and can compact the soil.

Planto

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The rock grannules look a little fine. How precious is the price per LBS. Usually the small bags from michael's is pricey. I make so much soil, that I need to buy stuff in 40lb bags. Chicken grit ( fine crushed granite) is small bags and price for me. , pumice, Dry Stall, scoria, tutface, perlite, expanded shale,

• Dotbat215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm after a bit of research, i'm thinking I'll save the sand for something else. I am trying to keep things simple, since I'm a newbie with only a few plants so I was thinking 50/50 potting soil and NAPA 8822. I also have a lot of garden soil but I can't tell if it's appropriate or not.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Potting soil for succulents (am assuming succulents) is not a great idea.

Keeping it simple (fine w/me), I'd suggest C&S mix w/ 50% perlite.

• Dotbat215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That sounds like a straightforward mix. It seems like everyone has a different idea of what to keep succulents in. I have heard that commercial cactus/succulents mixes can be very peaty and that peat can be detrimental long-term. What are your thoughts on that?

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

That's exactly why we suggest adding the 50% perlite, it can work just as well w/ those C&S mixes & their peat content.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The problem with peat is that once it ages a bit and dries out (like one needs to do for succulents) is that it becomes hydro-phobic or water beads up and will not soak INTO the soil. It just goes down the cracks on the side and the roots never get water. One can use LOTs of perlite to create airspace and fissures in the PM and that will get water. I have seen a grower here in town use 70% perlite in what looked like solid peat. These were for the plants he was selling. Peat is cheap. I wonder what he uses in his collection. I will ask him when I next see him. His collection is amazing..

I get rid of all the dirt on the roots of my new plants and replace with my gritty mix of the day. I

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I remove all soil from mine too and place in a gritty mix. The peat is a nightmare, even for house plants.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Just to be contrarian with some errant info. Rio Grande cactus grows their small cactus in solid red lava sand. Nothing else. True, they are situated in Soccoro New Mexico and that is right by the long stretch of Valley of Fires , New Mexico so lava is readily available so I imagine Lava sand is available too. The grain is usually larger than most sand and the lava has some absorbent qualities also.

• Dotbat215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the information everyone!

I am wondering if this soil would would work with perlite in a 50/50 mix?

ORGANIC MECHANICSî
    Container Blend Potting Soil
    Our all-purpose organic potting soil, perfect for repotting plants, fast growing annuals, outdoor containers, and more!
    Excellent drainage properties, yet holds moisture well
    Perennials, Woody Plants and Herbs love it!
    Great for large containers (up to 250 gallons) or any plant that needs well-drained soil
    For best results, add a balanced, organic fertilizer at planting time
    Save money and reuse it! Our compost-based soils do not break down as quickly as peat-based mixes. Simply fluff the mix back up, remove any large root balls, and replant.
    Contains: compost, pine bark, coir, worm castings and rice hulls.

• Dotbat215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also when it comes to putting my plants in their new home, what is the best method? Is it better to plunk the whole thing or should I make cuttings and propagate that way?

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean? You can repot the whole plant...idk what "plunk" means LOL- and u can take cuttings from healthy leaves and dry them out and then lay them on soil... just when repoting thewhole plant, try and get all the old soil outta the root ball and repot