Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

My little ones~ Started these from seed

jojosplants
9 years ago

I started these from seed about 2 yrs ago. Just one of those mixed variety seed packs from wal mart. The one on the right is a little larger than a marble now and man do they have long thorns! I think that's a 3" pot they are in.

Comments (22)

• notolover
    9 years ago

How cute! Any idea of what they are?

I've never had any luck, my last endeavor was going along nicely (for me) until they were dumped on the floor by what I think was a passive/aggressive act by dh :-)

I plan on trying again and keeping them away from him.

I can grow a lot of other things from seed so why do cactus seeds seem so hard? Maybe because they grow slow and I lose interest.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi noto..
    I have no idea what they are. I need to see if I still have the seed pack and read the varieties that were in it.

From seed does take forever! lol..

Yes, try again! and keep away from hubby. ;-) I just started golden barrel a few days ago, anxious to see how that goes. They are seeds from my own cactus, she bloomed for the first time last summer.

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

Oh!!!!!!! I think I have a seed bag running around. They are my project tomorrow before I go to work.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

good project! :-)

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

Found my packet!!!!!! Here is the list, and I will post the brand.

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

And here is the brand. Hope this helps:)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's great! Thank you!! I'll do a few searches today and see if I can come close.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

removed

This post was edited by jojosplants on Mon, May 19, 14 at 9:19

• socks
    9 years ago

How interesting! That took some patience on your part!

I have no idea what the seeds look like. Do you scatter them and then remove the smaller weaker plants to leave the best, or how does that work with so many different kinds of seeds in one packet?

Those babies really know how to protect themselves!

Is that another succulent you have peeking out on the left there?

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If these were all I had, then yes, it would take a lot of patience . :-) But having other cactus and succulents, they just kind of fit in with most being slow to grow anyway :-)

The seeds are tiny, a lot of them black, not much bigger than a grain of salt. lol.

I just scattered them on a damp gritty mix and kept moist and warm. 2 or 3 did die off.

I started them in the house and when they got to be about the size of a pea I transplanted them to this container,

No, that's not a succulent, that's debris from the shrub my greenhouse is under. Looks like a piece of the palo verde tree's flowers on the cactus on the left too . lol.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

SO cuute! Armored babies. Like just hatched baby alligators with sharp teeth. I see some interesting crosses on eBay, that sell you seeds, but, I always think I'd probably be a dusty garden mummy before any grew to flowering size.

Cute little round shapes.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

They look like baby 'Golden Barrel' cacti except for the colors are off on the bodies and spines. Hmm... seed packets are like a box of chocolates, eh?

Planto

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aztcqn~ Not sure if I will ever see these bloom. lol... And yes, boy do they have some teeth.

Planto.. yes, a box of chocolate's but without the map. LOL! I googled seedlings for all the plants yesterday and they all look alike ! :-/ so time will tell.

I actually started a tray of golden barrel last week, anxious for them to sprout! They are seeds off of my own cactus! She bloomed for the first time last summer.

• parodise
    9 years ago

I'd guess these are some kind of Ferocactus. I believe in your climate they should develop outstanding spination and bloom reasonably early! Great baby cacti! Bit sunburnt probably, but they'll be just fine. Keep up the good work!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Parodise!
    Thanks you!
    Could be, they are on the seed list. I was thinking maybe hedgehog too.
    Yes, in my climate they will grow a little faster than others.
    And I agree on the sun burn. :-/ They are under a huge shrub but I guess too much sun crept in. I had to tear down my plant rack that I had in the house last fall, so it was sink or swim for everyone and they all got put out. lol.. It will make them tougher. ;-)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Be sure to show us those baby 'Golden Barrels' when they make an appearance. :)

I forget.. but I believe they fall under the list of cacti that have to have some age on them to bloom. Maybe I'm mistaken, I don't remember most of what I read, haha.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, May 20, 14 at 13:49

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ummm.... I got mamma in 1986 as a 1" cactus! and she bloomed the first time in 2013! yep.. I waited a few years.!! lol..
    I'll get pics later today.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Hmm, I guess that sounds about right then. I think the book I read said 30-40 years before it will bloom... unless I'm confusing it with another cactus. Anywho, that must have been exciting. Did you take any pictures? I've only seen the blooms in books.

Planto

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will post pics the minute the stork drops them off! lol..

I was wrong on the date of my barrel . I got them in 91. So that makes them 22yrs old! Now I feel old! OMG! lol..
    Info I have found online so far says they bloom after they reach 14". Mine are that at least.
    I'm not sure If I have a pic from last year ? I'll look and see. If not, it will be blooming again soon. It's not fancy, pretty small actually, but special to me after having the plant for so long!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found 2 pics :-)

{{gwi:557202}}

{{gwi:557204}}

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Wait, that gb is 30 to 40 years old? What zone are you in. If I remember correct they grow about an inch a year. Im assuming this is in their ideal zone.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No.. I had the date wrong.I got these in 1991. it's 22/23 years old. :-) I'm in Tucson, AZ zone 9 , and it' has grown about the normal rate. They were in a 1 " terra cotta when I got them at kmart for .88 cents each! ROFL! They were my gift to me when I bought this place.

My Saguaro's , are the ones I got in 1986 :-)