Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gasteria Leaf Propagation

Posted by hanzrobo 11 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 0:22

Hello, friends! Señor Cactus recently and generously sent me these two beautiful leaves, deftly removed from his glorious new G. excelsa. I'm sure we'll get to see it soon.

Anyhow, he asked me to show how I go about rooting Gasteria leaves and I'm honored by the request. I'll do my best... here goes.

Step 1: Jeff sends you two humungous leaves. Rock n' Roll!
 photo IMG_7676_zpsc4080f90.jpg

Step 2: Dump Rooting Hormone into a bowl and dip the base of your leaf, coating the cut end. If it's really dry you can spray it first so the powder will stick. You DO NOT have to wait for the cut to callus. In fact, if the cut is very dried and shriveled, make a fresh cut and dip it straight in the powder.
 photo IMG_7686_zps400a94ce.jpg
 photo IMG_7687_zps959e28c9.jpg

looks something like this
 photo IMG_7689_zps3d936140.jpg

Step 3: Find appropriate sized container and set up your leaf/leaves so the cut end is buried about 1 inch or less.
 photo IMG_7702_zps4b6fb456.jpg

Step 4: Put it in a shady spot and wait. Wake up tomorrow and wait some more. Keep doing that for a few weeks and then check for roots... or don't. Give it a splash now and then in between long bouts of waiting. Eventually, something will happen. The rocks are just to hold it down for now. When roots develop, I'll remove the rocks.
 photo IMG_7705_zps968fcd4e.jpg

Step 5: Look at this picture of my G. excelsa with my size 13 shoe for scale. Yes, I wear Dr. Scholl's velcro shoes!.. and yes, they are very comfortable, thanks:)
 photo IMG_7683_zps13fd5bcf.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gasteria Leaf Propagation

Sweet! I'd never thought about rooting gasterias. Now I'm going to have to give it a go with some of my ordinary gasterias and hope someday I get a chance at something more rare. TFS
Laura

o

Very nice. Thanks for the photo tutorial. You will have to keep us posted on the progress of that incredible plant. Gasteria lover here. Don't think there are too many of us around. :-)

I am currently trying this but have had no luck with rooting. It has been a month and just checked it last week for roots...nothing. Oh well. Perhaps the leaf was too far gone?

This post was edited by Reggieee on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:25

o

Reggieee, the leaves have to be in good shape and include the collar, which has a few cells from the stem.

o

Ryan,

As we discussed in that conference call, I had not seen this method before. Thank you for the primer on a method I would not have tried (and, who knows, maybe my method is not the most propitious in getting rooting / pupping performed). I think your way has more chance of doing like we like it than mine. I also like that you've got the 'Scorps Rule!' headbanger hand sign while encompassing the triangular leaves.

Here's what I would have done - slice away all old / calloused tissue, spray with alcohol if in doubt about hygiene of cut, dip in Rootone or some such promoting agent, and set aside for a day, then pot as you did. However, if I have any leaves left, I'll try your method.

Let me state that without German Star's direct handling of the logistics of going to Donovan's Nursery (where the plant below was one of two only to choose from), I would not have this plant - a more generous raconteur you would encounter difficulty finding. Plus, he forces Agave pups like 'Rainer's Sensation' upon you, in a gentlemanly and non-painful manner. He didn't buy a plant, while I spent like the drunken sailor I had been, yet GS was there to support me and somehow stuff all the purchases into his car without puncturing too many rich Cordovan leather panels.

I had to do the chopadopoulos so that the new plant might fit into a checked / unchecked luggage (hard shell) - I figured I could still get it wrapped properly and stowed comfortably for the journey home, but in the meantime it should recover for a bit from the shock of the surgery. It is a whiter shade of pale, but it should be OK, even with the 115F temps expected here shortly.

photo DSC06409_zps01f2074d.jpg

photo DSC06445_zps933cbf86.jpg

photo DSC06455_zps7281ccea.jpg

I hope they grow well for you and others.

At the first nursery they had a cat to pet, along with lots of big plants. She reminded me of our Sam Cat, only more amiable.

photo DSC06384_zps6717d98c.jpg

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:14

o

GREAT photo tutorial, Ryan! Thanks a bunch! Good to see how you hold the leaves in place with rocks. Thanks, also, for the tip on the Velcro shoes. =)

Just discovered a new guy growing from a leaf while performing triage on my poor, neglected plants. Seems they have their OWN survival method in my SOS program! Hee hee!

Gasteria pup from leaf photo DSC_1782Gasteriafrmleaf_zpsc641f488.jpg

Nice to see you back, Jeff! Good, additional method of making babies. Nice to see how you got your BIG baby ready for transport. :)
Always love reading about your adventures. EEK on the 115F temps expected!

o

Thanks, you guys! I'm glad to do it.

Reggie, you can make a new cut and try again. I'm pretty sure that part of the meristem runs through the entire leaf. I think you could even cut a leaf into sections and get pups from each one. We'll have to try that with something basic.

Jeff, thanks for the great description of your adventures with GS. Sounds like you guys had a blast. People around here were starting to worry about you..."Where's Sr. Cactus?!" He's in the desert, doing the chopadopoulos. Hahahaha! I think your extra steps of cutting and sterilization are not a bad idea. I would sterilize if I had to make a fresh cut but these still had fresh meat which I think is fine. These leaves are full of power, bet they have serious roots within a month. I don't bother waiting for a callus because the soil is dry and will stay that way for weeks. I've been using this method for a while now - cut, dip, set and walk away, for almost everything. Just make sure your soil is dry.
Thanks for the before and after shots of mama; what a pretty lady!

Ro, thanks - with velcro shoes, I am complete.
I've had that same thing happen in a couple Gasteria pots! The old leaf gets pushed/squeezed out by new growth and still has enough juice to pup. Very interesting, TFS!

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:59

Great job, guys (both in the presentation, Ryan, and for Jeff with his spending of cash for a good cause).

I have leaves that I hope take in a month and produce wildly.

Really nice haul, Jeff, and what I like is that Kalanchoe(?) with ripples galore. That is one awesome plant.

o

Shoulda stopped at Home Depot.

o

Thanks all for the show.

o

What's the update Ryan on your gasteria leaves?

o

Have you been talking to Colleen? Funny, I saw Colleen's post last week where she showed her rooted leaves. That made me want to go check mine, and yes!!!, they're both very firmly rooted. I really want to see the roots but I'd hate to disturb them at the moment. This may convince you.

o

Great job, Ryan, but why are there duck eggs on the end of your leaf?

Yes, Colleen's leaf is looking good. I wonder how Reggie's are?

I should get a picture of Mama Plant - she's potted in a tightly confined pot and, if I can count correctly, has four pups since potting it up and growing it outside in mostly shade until September. The joys of underpotting are well worth considering in one's repotting plans.

o

What is the psychology with many of us to want to unearth something we are trying to root? We all know one of two things will happen: Either, it will root and maybe, if we are fortunate, a new plant in the future OR it will rot, wither and die and then we go back to the drawing board. So why do we want to take a peek and risk catastrophe?

Too much on a Sunday afternoon?????

o

Howard,

For a very good reason - generally I try to root in something shallow, too shallow to grow but not so to root. If it's rooted quickly (as it should do so in such conditions), I can repot it into a proper pot-to-grow-in.

Here it is. I was correct, there are four pups. The second picture shows the most advanced two - interesting they're growing next to each other, in each other's face, as it were.

photo 021113019_zpsfaddd4ef.jpg

photo 021113020_zps6fe638c8.jpg

o

Very nice displays!
I've always been fond of the texture of these plants.

Josh

o

Awesome, Jeff. Being scrunched for space must have its perks.

o

Wow, that's looking good, Jeff! It's very interesting how cramped conditions are good for offsetting. Less room = more plants? If you say so.

Duck eggs... ha! Yes, they seem to have lost their purpose.

Howard, I agree. No need to disturb a good thing, it just depends on how far along it is. If the roots were tiny, I would have pulled it out.

This post was edited by hanzrobo on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 15:19

o

Colleen,

It does have its perks, but I'd still like a greenhouse of 1000 sf.

Ryno,

If it seems counter-intuitive, it usually is. I also like the fact that the leaves could likely be put to use in some sort of semi-hardware application.

photo 021113035_zpsf2e96025.jpg

o

Checking in here for a report. I was concerned mine were not rooting as mine looked haggard after being outside since July with not much in the way of evidence of it rooting. Dang. So thought I'd see how Ryan's was doing. Of course, his rooted marvelously!!! (goose eggs and all! ha) I had no goose eggs and no rooting hormone. I just stuck them in pumice and prayed.

Looking beaten up
Gaseteria excelsa leaf propagation

After seeing Ryan test his, I thought I'd too give it a go!

Gaseteria excelsa leaf propagation

Gasteria excelsa leaf propagation

Woooohoooooo!!!!

Stoked!!

Jeff - The mama plant looks awesome. She is beautiful.

o

Happy New Year, everybody!

It was a windy, hot winter day here today - good day for watering. I was doing my thing when I noticed some extra green in a certain pot. So, it looks like it's been a little over 6 months since I potted these leaves.

o

Croucheri Tiger, Hidden Offset. Thanks Jeff!~

o

WOOHOO! Good growing, Ryan! Happy New Year to you, too!

o

Thanks, Ro!... and thank you for the wonderful card:) My girls loved it! (so did I, of course). They very much want to meet your animals.

I can't believe I missed Reggie's post! Her leaves also look very good - that was 2 months ago. I wonder how they're doing now.

o

Maybe your girls will one day come down & meet the horses. The dogs would maul them & the cat would ignore, though!

Regina & I will be visiting Jordi weekend after next. If she doesn't see this first, I'll tell her, & she can report back.

o

Oopsie. I'm now fairly certain that is not G. excelsa.

o

Went out to check how things are coming along with my leaves.

The report - Nothing!

I see no little plantlets happening. My leaves are planted deeper than Ryan's. Now I see the advantage of the shallow planting accompanied by the goose eggs to hold it down. :-)

I'm sure something is happening under the pumice but there is nothing to show for it. I shall continue to wait.

@GermanStar Not G. excelsa? Pray tell, what is this fellow?

o

It appears to be a different rather large Gasteria. I'll admit, the G. excelsa ID always bothered me a little, but not enough to question it -- before today. Check the link and draw your own conclusions.

Here is a link that might be useful: G. croucheri

o

"I'm sure something is happening under the pumice but there is nothing to show for it. I shall continue to wait."

Me too, me too.

Thrilling pictures, and interesting about the ID. That doesn't sadden me in the least, of course. The plant is remarkable.

o

Well, that works for me. I do trust Geoff. I was calling my croucheri an excelsa and calling my acinacifolia a croucheri. Now, only to locate a true excelsa!

o

Yes it's a wonderful plant, and always best to know it by its proper ID. Three cheers for Geoff! :-)

o

May 2014 Update:

Outside watering, getting ready for a scorching hot week and low and behold, looky what caught my eye.

SHE LIVES!!!

She lives!!!

Can you see those 2 pups?
She lives!!!

Pretty excited. I was shocked. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr shots

o

Reggie,

I'm stoked for you - you've been a patient mother. I watered Mother the other day and she's got pups tight against the pot. She should be going out this weekend.

o

Great detailed steps! I am clipping this one for future reference. Thx so much for sharing.

o

Cactusmcharris - Boy, you're not kidding. Patience, patience, patience. Do you have a recent picture of the mama?

Gives me a greater appreciation for plants in habitat and the time it takes to see the beauty that I do.

o

Hey, hey, hello ...it's time for an update!
14 months

o

Crazymaking. Those look awesome. Mine are younger, but I know I need to photograph...

o

Looking very good... They do take time and patients!

o

Ryan, that is awesome! Whole village of them.
You have magic touch with all of your plants.

Rina

o

If anyone has lots of patients, it's you, bikerdoc.

Colleen, gets ta' snappin'!

Rina, thanks. I got my training at Hogwart's.

o

RIna, Ryan practices just everyday wizardry.

I owe y'all some pics. I'm still figuring out this new camera.

o

Very very nice Mr. Robo.

Here are the efforts of time at my house.

Untitled

And the other one that I had to search all over the garden for. Found it at the bottom of a shelf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr photostream

o

Ryan, this is a leaf from a Gasteria glomerata that you sent me in may of 2013. It happened to fall off, so I put in my community rooting pot and this is what I have a year and a half later... not much but neat anyway. Thanks for the plant.

Howard

o

Dr. Vaughner, your patients look very healthy! Looking forward to mesemb day.

Jeff, do you see what you have done? ...Sr. Proliferatio?

Howard, that's very nice. It does take a long time but like any practice, it does require patients. How did you do on the last list from Mr. H?

o

I must say, Ryan, Mr H. is an unbelievable gentleman! Since you've asked and this is unrelated to this thread, I received the following:
Haworthia emelyae, Haworthia hammeri Die Kop, Haworthia maraisii var. meiringii Bonnievale, Haworthia truteriorum, Haworthia variegata petrophila, Haworthia atrofusca x 'Kegani' x bayeri, Haworthia (crassa x comptoniana) x splendens and the best of all, Haworthia maughanii Kobayashi's Clone.

I'm sure you received some wonderful plants, too. Personally, the excitement looking forward to his spring offerings is euphoric!

And I may have him sold on printing mailable labels from the post office.... and then again probably not.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 10:12

o

More like Senor Profiterole here, hoss.

So, I've heard the phreaks come out at night, a dark, semi-stormy, rainy night.

photo DSC00064_zps01eca837.jpg

It definitely needs repotting, but when I had stripped it for y'all and my luggage requirements I was worried about rot and so potted it up fairly tightly, without its usual lots-of-room-to-grow strategy followed. What followed, aside from some laziness, was hardy pupping, if you can call these robust reproductions that, and I think you can. But less than 2 weeks left before they go inside, so I had better be finding a new pot to put it in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here