Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

ID for this Echeveria please!

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

Newbie here!
I got this from a local nursery and on the tag it says Echeveria (Desert Peacock), but I couldn't find the actual name or specie for that nickname. Is this a Echeveria Peacockii?

Also, is this succulent plant going to flower??

Comments (6)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Its kinda stretched out cause it needs more light, but i Beleive it is about to flower. Also the mix YOU have in the pot is hard as a rock, please consider repotting it into a new mix of 50% cacti+succulent mix with added 50% perlite for BETTER drainage it will benefit YOUR plants BETTER , goodluck hunnie, I'm sure someone else Will chime in with the id of the plant

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Yes I'm planning to repot very soon. This pot is wayy too tiny for this seemingly mature plant anyway. Okay I have the succulent mix already, just have to get the perlite. People also suggest sand, is it necessary?

Yeah I live in an apartment so I don't get that much sun, I try to get them as much air and sun as they can, hopefully it will do okay!

Here are some of my other beginner succulent collections:

• spapa
    9 years ago

It's pretty tricky to identify with it being so etiolated (stretched from lack of sun). It tends to make the leaves lose their shape, and the plant will lose its color, making it tricky to say which species/hybrid it is. It certainly is an Echeveria, possibly peacockii or runyonii. I'd love to see another pic in a few weeks when it's put on some normal growth. And yes, it is going to flower!

Just a couple of notes: when you put it in the sun, don't do so all at once or it will burn. It needs bright sun, but you have to adjust it slowly over several days. If you do that and still see it burning, just give it a little less sun for a few more days and then try again - plants that have been really deprived of light can be very sensitive.

Also, you said the pot is "way too small." It is on the small side, but succulents like to be snug in their pots, so don't go too big. I generally leave 2" on either side of the rosette part of the plant, giving it some room to grow.

In terms of sand, you can use some - personally I haven't found it to do much for me, but I do know others who use it. You must make sure that it is gardening sand as sand made for playgrounds or sandboxes often has a chemical coating that isn't good for plants. Also, make sure the sand is coarse - fine sand will cause problems.

Good luck!

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

It doesn't look like Echeveria peacockii to me. If, after you have more growth (leaves upward) of the rosette, another pic would be great. Also, when it blooms, a shot of those would be helpful.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, I will take a pic when it develops a bit more. It doesn't seem to be a peacockii to me either.

I'm planning to repot this one with some of my other succulent collections coming soon in a dish garden kind of setting, hopefully it will work!
    Thanks for all the help!

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A sad, sad, follow up on this plant......
    Because of how unbalanced this potted plant is, while moving my succulents around I knocked it over, and it went straight to the ground, breaking few leaves and also the stem that was about to flower :"(

It was very saddening as it is my first succulent to have a chance of flowering. Anyway, I finally changed it to a slightly bigger, heavier pot following your repotting steps, and just hope it will be okay from these damages. Does the part that has the flowering stem broken off grow back? Probably not...