Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyellowduckey

Help on succulent growing really tall

lilyellowduckey
9 years ago

I recently repotted my succulents in cactus mix after removing and rooting a side shoot, but now both the main plant that started out short and roundish and the side shoot have gotten really long - about 8-10 inches for the main plant and 4-6 inches for the offshoot. They were repotted 2 weeks ago. Is it okay or am I killing my plants? Should I prune them down? I tried to Google goggle but could not I.d. them. These were acquired as wedding favors and have been living on my kitchen windowsill since April. The offshoot was sucking the life out if the main plant which was why it was removed and rooted. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Theyget like that when they need sunlight, they are stretching to find the sun. You should TRY slowly accumulating them to full sunlight OR put them outside for the sun to really get to IT.
    Also your mix is very heavy it would do much better if you added 50% perlite to your cacti/succulent mix so it has BETTER drainage and won't retain water and eventually kill or harm the plant. Goodluck

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

It looks to me like those are Sempervivums. They are about to bloom! Unfortunately, they die after blooming, but you will get about a month out of them before that happens.

Nancy

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

They look like Echeveria to me and the one is flowering. But they also look like the could use a lot more sunlight.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Those plants both definitely have flower buds (whatever they are)! Congratulations!

They do look as if they're leaning towards the light, but that's not always an indication that it's too dark for them - just that the light is coming from one side. It's a perennial problem with plants grown indoors.
    When a plant produces flower buds, that's usually an indication that it *is* getting enough light.

- Sparkey

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

Oh, those two are Sempervivum going into flower alright. And farther back I see a couple blue-tinted Echeveria, which are looking a bit light-deprived.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Looks like the top of the plant not a flower stalk to me my semps usually grow flower stalks from the middle of the plant....maybe I'm wrong, but i didn't think it's flowering

• lilyellowduckey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody for the replies, they do look like flower buds. I've moved them to a western exposure window to give them more light and will add some perlite when I get a chance. This succulent started out the same size as the Echeveria and I got worried since they've been getting extremely tall. I'm a total newbie with plants and am frankly amazed they've lasted this long.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Yes, 2 Sempervivum that have had less than optimal light (etiolated). Usually, the inflorescence would have more compact leaves, so you wouldn't see the stem. If you don't have little chicks hiding around the hen, these 2 will die after flowering. Good to acclimate them by moving to a sunnier window. =) Enjoy the show!

• marquest
    9 years ago

I agree the plant physic is right those 2 are Sempervivum. They are a outdoor plant. If kept indoors they flower and do not make babies. They need the cool outdoors to survive.

Semps have the same effect of putting a tropical plant in the snow. Tropicals will die in snow. The Semp plant needs the cold or it will flower premature and die if it does not get the cool treatment.

It cannot make babies because it did not get the conditions to make babies so it makes a flower and will make new plants from the seeds. If you let it flower and die back you might get plants from the seeds but they will have to be put outside in garden to get the proper light, and weather treatment to grow.

• Desirai
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure you have a male hen and chick (rooster) and he is producing flowers.