Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Growing Lithops indoor, absolute nono?

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

Hi all,

I have been thinking to add the amazing lithops and Argyoderma/Pleiospilos to my collection of succulents. But from what I read here it says that they need full sun and outdoor environment to live. Although some websites say that it could be a good indoor plant as long as it gets enough light and obviously very little water. SO I'm just wondering, am I bound for failure if I try to grow some lithops on my apartment window sill? Also, is it a good idea to plant lithops, argyoderma and pleiospilos together in one pot?

Much thanks!

Comments (9)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Wouldn't suggest growing them all in a one pot enviroment Argyo here likes warmer temps with some watering nearly all year long as lithops can handle short times in cooler to near frost temps with no watering.

Window sill negatives: I don't think a window sill would provide enough time of " full sun" for them Example 6 AM sunrise from east to west a 36 inch wide window provides only five to six hours and leave them in a more shaded area.. If window is closed the sun UV index raises and could cause some harm to tops of any of them, may want to leave the window(s) open for air circulation.

Window sill positives would provide a great area for sun hardeneing with both screen and window manipulating.
    Nice area to hold them during or in the event of rain storms and during cool seasons holding.

Added lighting with pots on holding racks would also be helpful for better growing inside plus circulating air if growing under lighting would need to be concidered.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info! Yeah my window only gets sun from around 5pm-sunset which is around 9 during summer. But it has good indirect light throughout the day because I live on the 12th floor and there's no nearby buildings. I might give Lithops a try, I got a growing light with 4 fluorescent bulbs, and in the worst case if they start to show signs of wilting I will just bring it to my cousin's house, they have a greenhouse there.

So would you say Lithops in one pot, everything else can stay in another? Argyoderma, Pleiospilos and what about Lapidaria?

• mingtea
    9 years ago

So technical correction: the UV index will never increase when sunlight passes through glass, it will always decrease by some percentage (depending on the type of glass) due to the material interaction with certain wavelengths. This is why you have to invest in uv lights when you have certain pet reptiles instead of just putting them by a window, or why getting a sunburn through a window is rare.
    Infrared light/heat will increase due to greenhouse effect (long wavelengths don't escape through glass readily) but if you have good air circulation, as nn said, you should be okay in general on a windowsill.

-Ming

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ming! I've ordered a few things, look forward to their arrival. Wish me luck!
    As for soil, would my normal succulent mix (50%perlite) work for these guys too, or does it have to be even more well-draining?

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Would (if me) keep them all in single pots as seperates worse case situation in a sence, if there is a problem with one may also indcate a problem for more than one to all.

Focus on circualting air as best you can in window sill and under lights as well. Sun UV and constant heat generated from the lamps shouldn't be a problem.

Soil question: I use sharp pourus materials and a small amount of oraginc matter for all of the any that I have on your list. In short I imagine the soil you want to use could work. Some watering concerns but would think you can learn the hows and whens for your situation.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see. But most said that Lithops have very different watering regime compared to Argyoderma/Pleiospilos, that's why I thought I would group them in two separate pots. i.e. Lithops in one and Argryo/Pleio in another

The only reason I go with the 50/50 perlite+cactus/succulent soil is because I cannot find any other things like pumice, gravel/grit, turface, lava rock that others have mentioned here...

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 13:40

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I've seen people saying sand is not good for succulent in general, but for Lithops it's a good idea to mix in some sand?

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

They can be grown indoors
    If the conditions are right

I've had one growing in my kitchen window for about 3 years now

But don't think 4 hours of evening sun will cut it

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Chunky sifted courser sand (from big box store refferancing contruction sand) is okay to use but could also be the same as fine river rock by size.

Agree some do suggest to use a heavily ammended C&S maybe as a convenance it could work but isn't the better choice for long life and health of succulents of your type.