Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

Something invaded my lil guy.... Can it be saved?

chuy415
9 years ago

These little black spots were noticed today upon inspecting and turning the pot for sun rotation!! I did remove what I could with a wet napkin and a little Dishwashing soap. Any other suggestions?
Thank you
Chuy

Comments (10)

• angellilly
    9 years ago

These look like aphids,you can get rid of them with some alcohol and dishwashing soap diluted in water(thats the cleanest way but not permanent,for that you must buy an insecticide and follow the instructions).

• plantlover80
    9 years ago

I can't see what exactly that is. Are they bugs? It kind of looks like mealy bug. if you look really close do the look like the attached picture?

• angellilly
    9 years ago

ughhh,plantlover you are right!stupid mealybugs.................and i mistook them for aphids????

• plantlover80
    9 years ago

We don't know for sure though. Need a better picture or confirmation. If it is mealy bugs, I've had them lots of times. What I do is get 91% rubbing alcohol and a spray bottle. Either hook the spray nozzle to the alcohol bottle or fill it up, spray the hell out of it. After that I rinse the plant off with water from a sprayer. I would also repot if you haven't done so lately. Better aeration and draining soil I believe will help in the future. Too much moisture in soil I think is the problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not the greatest nor all knowing on plants and maintenance.

Hope I helped and wait a little bit before taking my advice. someone might have better advice.

Chad

• plantlover80
    9 years ago

If you want to have fun, you can q tip them with the alcohol to watch them change to a pink color and die but it usually doesn't take care of the problem.they lay 50-100 eggs in their mildewy nesting ground. Nasty little buggers.

Chad

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I do THAT with NEW plant's, i attack the nests AND never SEE um AGAIN! !! Yay!

Hope everything works out hun

• chuy415
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! I don't believe they're mealy bugs because they sent light in color and I've had them before on my adeniums. ;(
    But I will use the alcohol and water to try and rid them for the most part.
    Will get a better pic in a bit

Chuy

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

This is the weirdest thing, and I didn't believe her at ALL (at first), but a coworker told me to use Windex. I was getting so fed up with treating with alcohol and q-tips, only to have the mealybugs return just as I was thinking I had won the war. Finally, out of desperation, I started spraying the affected plants with Windex twice a week.

IT WORKS. You have to make sure you treat twice a week for about a month, or they may show up again, but all of my jades are mealybug free for over a year now.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Or you could really get them with a systemic like some imidacloprid.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's in a large pot with 4 or 5 other succulents and the others look ok. Will try the windex for now and see how it goes! ;). Thank you so much for the suggestion

Chuy

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design