Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
great day at the international CSSA convention.

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 2:26

I went down to the public sale at the Cactus and Succulent society convention. As I approached the hotel, there was a woman resting by the wall with her drop dead gorgeous Boophane distichas. and some fat caudex plants. I complimented her on her plants. I told her about a forum that had info on boophanes and many growers of it for her to research their needs. She told me that the lectures were great. I mentioned that I didn't have money to attend the lectures right now. She took her day pass off her neck and put it on mine sense she was leaving. I saw 4 lectures and bought a bunch of plants. I am happy and broke. Might be broker tomorrow. I have a dentist appointment and I always buy plants when my mouth is numb from needles. LOL. My Bank is right across the street from the hotel. Dangerous territory.I went a little Echinocereus crazy.

Anyway, here's my haul . I think I need to take back the E, scheerii. It is only hardy to 25. I am building my outdoor cactus garden.

Echinocereus papillosus, E. coccineus "Pink", E. eanneacanthus

Echinocereus papillosus, E. coccineus

Echinocereus russanthus, E. bonkerae, E scheeri v. gentry, E. grandiflora hybrid

Echinocereus russanthus, E. bonkerae, E. grandiflora  hybrid?

Astrophytum capricorne, Agave utahensis elborespina, A. striata v. karasbergensis
Astrophytum capricorne, Agave utahenses var eborespina, Aloe striate var, karasbergensis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: great day at the international CSSA convention.

Yes!!! I'm so happy for you, getting in like that! You must have some serious mojo, making stuff like that happen. Great story!

Nice haul too. That E. scheeri is my type of cactus - naked.

Did you happen to catch Mr. Hammer?

o

I am one of those that talk to strangers when they are toting three absolutely knock dead gorgeous plants. Flys to honey and I am not a shrinking violet when I have plants in my sights.. No, I did not see mr Hammer. He was on earlier.

I went down there today and got a small haul , AGAIN.

Coryphantha missouriensis, Coryphantha vivapara, Coryphantha sneedii var leei

o

Did you get that pot too? TDF!

o

No, I made that pot in high school back in '69.A raku fired peice. Like it? Pottery was an old career of mine. My mother had this one. That is the only reason that I have anything I made from that EARLY period of my life..

o

Excuisite. Yes, I like.

Also, doesn't surprise me one bit. You are a treasure.

Maybe your pottery days aren't over?...

o

thank you. It has been decades. I still have a kiln, in pieces behind a cedar tree, a slab roller at a friend's . But I loaned my wheel to someone who I think sold it for elicits , Good artist but fell hard off the wagon. I could kick myself. He says he left it at a house when he moved out and it was gone when he came back.

o

Nice haul, they are pretty. I especially like the aloe, me being a aloe enthusiast

o

Hey Wanton,

Call me crazy but why not invite that guy to replace your potter's wheel? If he was that lax w/ YOUR wheel, he really does owe you a replacement (if it were mine, I'd at least ask, especially since you still have the kiln, etc). Exquisite turquoise interior glaze by the way, my absolute favorite color!!

(I still have several pieces of pottery I made in high school, by hand, slab construction, .etc. They're quite nice pots actually)

o

I can ask all I like, but the last three times I saw him, he could not finish a sentenece. He is couch surfing when he is lucky. Maybe he will dry out and maybe years from now, a wheel will appear at my house. It was bad judgement on my part. And he is under a bridge along with the water for all I know.

o

What a shame about him & the wheel, oh well.

At least you got the nice, lovely plants, enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here