Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

great day at the international CSSA convention.

I went down to the public sale at the Cactus and Succulent society convention. As I approached the hotel, there was a woman resting by the wall with her drop dead gorgeous Boophane distichas. and some fat caudex plants. I complimented her on her plants. I told her about a forum that had info on boophanes and many growers of it for her to research their needs. She told me that the lectures were great. I mentioned that I didn't have money to attend the lectures right now. She took her day pass off her neck and put it on mine sense she was leaving. I saw 4 lectures and bought a bunch of plants. I am happy and broke. Might be broker tomorrow. I have a dentist appointment and I always buy plants when my mouth is numb from needles. LOL. My Bank is right across the street from the hotel. Dangerous territory.I went a little Echinocereus crazy.

Anyway, here's my haul . I think I need to take back the E, scheerii. It is only hardy to 25. I am building my outdoor cactus garden.

Echinocereus papillosus, E. coccineus "Pink", E. eanneacanthus

{{gwi:558674}}

Echinocereus russanthus, E. bonkerae, E scheeri v. gentry, E. grandiflora hybrid

{{gwi:558676}}

Astrophytum capricorne, Agave utahensis elborespina, A. striata v. karasbergensis
{{gwi:558678}}

Comments (11)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Yes!!! I'm so happy for you, getting in like that! You must have some serious mojo, making stuff like that happen. Great story!

Nice haul too. That E. scheeri is my type of cactus - naked.

Did you happen to catch Mr. Hammer?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am one of those that talk to strangers when they are toting three absolutely knock dead gorgeous plants. Flys to honey and I am not a shrinking violet when I have plants in my sights.. No, I did not see mr Hammer. He was on earlier.

I went down there today and got a small haul , AGAIN.

{{gwi:558680}}

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Did you get that pot too? TDF!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I made that pot in high school back in '69.A raku fired peice. Like it? Pottery was an old career of mine. My mother had this one. That is the only reason that I have anything I made from that EARLY period of my life..

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Excuisite. Yes, I like.

Also, doesn't surprise me one bit. You are a treasure.

Maybe your pottery days aren't over?...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you. It has been decades. I still have a kiln, in pieces behind a cedar tree, a slab roller at a friend's . But I loaned my wheel to someone who I think sold it for elicits , Good artist but fell hard off the wagon. I could kick myself. He says he left it at a house when he moved out and it was gone when he came back.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Nice haul, they are pretty. I especially like the aloe, me being a aloe enthusiast

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Wanton,

Call me crazy but why not invite that guy to replace your potter's wheel? If he was that lax w/ YOUR wheel, he really does owe you a replacement (if it were mine, I'd at least ask, especially since you still have the kiln, etc). Exquisite turquoise interior glaze by the way, my absolute favorite color!!

(I still have several pieces of pottery I made in high school, by hand, slab construction, .etc. They're quite nice pots actually)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can ask all I like, but the last three times I saw him, he could not finish a sentenece. He is couch surfing when he is lucky. Maybe he will dry out and maybe years from now, a wheel will appear at my house. It was bad judgement on my part. And he is under a bridge along with the water for all I know.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

What a shame about him & the wheel, oh well.

At least you got the nice, lovely plants, enjoy!

• aztcqn
    8 years ago

That is a fantastic pot! I would've loved to see your other creations.
    Succulents attracts us all happily in its tractor beam.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions