Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimmim13

How to trim a Top Heavy Jade

MimMim13
11 years ago

Jades0001.JPG

My Top Heavy Jade recently fell over. I re-potted it into a larger pot (the original pot is seen next to it in Photo1) using a cactus soil mix with high drainage. The plant had the largest leaves I have ever seen on a jade. The largest of the leaves grew directly off the main stems but most broke off.

As you can see in Photo 2 and 3 - I am currently propping it up until it reestablishes. I was told to use a string with elasticity to hold it up, but therefore I am not able to make the heavy stem straight. There are only 2 main stems. Photo 2 shows stem1 leaning far over. Photo 3 shows stem2 splits into 2 weighty pieces. Photo2 also shows the scars where the large stem leaves broke off. Each main stem has other branches that extend about 5-7 inches.

I know that this plant needs trimming but I have never done it before. Looking for specific instructions.

I have read to cut to the lateral stem - what does this mean? How much do I cut off? My desire is to have thick healthy stems that can hold up without props and to regrow the HUGE leaves that were growing directly off the stems before they broke in the topple over.

Comments (24)

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photo 2

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photo 3

• elichka
    11 years ago

I would also recommend you to read about gritty soil, yours has too much peat which promotes rot. I also think you don't need such a huge pot( does it have a drainage hole?). I understand that you picked that pot to balance the plant. But after pruning you don't need such a huge pot. Generally jades have very shallow root system, so big pot+peat leads to rot. Unglazed clay pots are better choice to dry up quickly. It is better to choose pot according to root mass.

Inna

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

The 'Josh Explains 'This is how I do it'link is super helpful. Just what I needed : photos. Do you recommend that I trim to such an extreme? Its end of June. I live in northern BC - so summer is short and not super warm - but long days.

I got the big pot b/c my local plant-store-guy told me to. The original pot was 7" wide x 7" tall. The root ball filled he entire pot. The new pot is 12" wide x 11" tall. What size do you recommend?

I understand now - without the right soil I am asking for trouble (I bought premade cactus soil). Of the ingredients I see people using on this forum: Turface, Pumice, Pine Bark, Perlite ...Perlite is the only thing I've seen in local stores. Does anyone have a source for ordering in these soil ingredients?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Someone north of me? Congrats! I'm in Kamloops - where are you?

Crassula ovata (jade plant) does most of its growing in spring and fall. Contrary to what many folks think, summer isn't its favourite season, as it doesn't like hot weather to grow it, but will obviously tolerate it quite well.

The Turface website does cover both Canada and the US using the store locator, but if the choices are few, sieve your premade stuff to get the timber out of it, cut the remaining soil by 50% with perlite, add top dressing (optional, but it stabilizes your mix from moving around on top when being watered).

I'd give it no more than 2" ball of growing room around the pot, but you can use a bigger pot, you just have to be more judicious in your watering and when it's done.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Did you wash off old soil completely ? That is the first thing to do. Let it dry,remove all brown,rotten hollow roots w/sterile knife and sprinkle cinnamon . Let it dry,it won't harm to be unpotted. I order turface on eBay, reptibark in petco. You did not mention where you live, maybe someone will help you to locate the ingredients.

Inna

• elichka
    11 years ago

My apologies, I haven't notice that you live in canada. Jeff gives you a great advice

11 years ago

Inna,

If they're hollow/rotten, no such measures are needed. It's only when they're living and need to be cut or are damaged (and not removed prior to planting) that the fungicidal treatment you recommend is needed.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Jeff,

You are absolutely right, I still do it just in case;)

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in Smithers, BC. Thanks for all the input. I'm new at this but LOVE my jade.

So here's what I gather:
    1. I should have washed off the old soil before transplanting and let the roots dry with cinnimon? Is this true even though there is no rot that I know of?
    2. I need to get a smaller pot. Maybe 9"-10" wide?
    3. I need to fix my soil. Thanks Ines for the ebay tip! Do I mix 1 part turface, pine bark, lave rock and perlite?
    4. Once I have my new pot and soil in place - I should go ahead and trim even though it is summer?

MM

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A last question...shipping is expensive to Canada on Ebay.Can I trim it now but repot/change the soil at the end of July without harming the plant? Or should I wait to trim until soil is in place? I am traveling to the States in July and can bring it back with me.

11 years ago

Sure, cut it up like a dance floor and don't water it much. It will be OK, but expect it to prosper in the fall when the soil is more to its liking.

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - I ll post photos after the cutting is done. I need a day to get my wits about me and my courage up.

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I understand what to do, but I can't quite do the cuts on my big jade. So I am starting with a practice Jade that is also top heavy.

Here it is before the cuts.

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After cuts. Need to cut more? Need to cut closer to the main stem?

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A close up of one of my cuts...

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

If it were mine, would cut a LOT more off, closer to the main stem, certainly. I would trim about another 50% off the top, at least.

Christopher

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK. Thanks. I will cut more. Do i cut it right to the main stem or leave one node out?

An aside question: what do the nodes growing closer or further apart indicate?

MM

• jade_man
    11 years ago

i always cut just above the node that i want to be the end of that branch. the little extra will dry up and fall off.

the distance between the nodes is and indication of the light level. close nodes is an indications of sufficient light. more than say a half inch between nodes means your plant needs more light. some of us can not provide enough natural light all year long, so we prune yearly or so.

hope that makes sense
    Doug

• MimMim13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Doug. That does make sense to me.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Jeff,
    that was awful nice of you to link that ol' Jade trimmin' Thread :-)
    Here's an update on that small-leaf Jade....and yes, I wish I had pruned harder!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

....and here are the cuttings that I rooted after pruning the plant.
    These Jades are grown hard - lots of sun, not much water, and very little fertilizer.

11 years ago

Josh,

It wasn't just nice, it was essential, my good man. You are rapidly becoming the educative recipient of all my jade questions, Teach, and I doff my toque (oops, it's summer, that's straw hat) to you.