Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misselle_gw

new goodies!

Misselle
9 years ago

So I went to the locally dump today to get rid of a heap of green waste, and you'll never guess what I scored! Totally stoked! But! I grabbed it cause be was hanging from the plant by a thread and he's got someone serious ouchie bits. And his spikes will give me serious ouchie bits! So, I think I'm going to have to do a bit of cut and paste.

Comments (14)

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Poor guy! I think this will have to go

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These don't look so good either.

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking it might be better if I cut it at the join and have two.

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This (at one stage) was attached to the plant. See what I mean about just hanging on! And you can't really tell by the photos but he's about three feet tall. So any advice would be fantastic! Cause I really want to save this guy, but I think I'm a little out of my league.....

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also got these guys! Super cute! Not sure if they are aloe or agave though. I'm leaning towards aloe. Please correct me if I'm wrong :-)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Thinking aloe as well would be the umm easier to bounce back, not to cudly but would need some pampering for a year or two, certainly would ASAP seperate any pups when/if seen.
    The cactus if kept in a cooler dimmer breezy area exposed on it's side on a dry surface should help it to callus over a little quicker could ( use a plywood surface if you have if not them cardboard) Maybe some sharp inward cuts at the harser coloring on bottom side for a cleaner look and healthier roots

Moistened paint brush for cleaning the webbs Tuff break on the middle discolored areas I've no ideas including how long it would take but would also want these areas to heal if cutting in deep sounds like you have a good plan.

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I'm kinda winging it lol. This is by far the biggest plant I've got, and It's the first time I've tried saving a plant. So I'm a little over-whelemed, but we shall see :-)

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I'm kinda winging it lol. This is by far the biggest plant I've got, and It's the first time I've tried saving a plant. So I'm a little over-whelemed, but we shall see :-)

• hijole
    9 years ago

Hi misselle, I would cut the plant that looks like it was in a car wreck in pieces, about a ft long and start new ones (propagate)

Nice find, Greg

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Awwww hunnie i would HAVE done the same thing! Most of my plant's are saved from the garbage can and THERE ALL doing great! I got faith in YOU misselle, THAT big guy will be looking good in kno TIME, OR. Like Greg suggested Will make a great bunch of propped plant's for yah!

LOL, JUST thinking back To the other thread..on second thought maybe i should come steal YOUR car from YOU before you end up having barely room to walk around like ME and others in HERE! Hahaha ;-)

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha Kittie, I know! You should have seem me lol! I was'nt really meant to take it, so I was all stealth like climbing through gardens and stuff so I could grab it without being seen! I'm pretty sure the guy at the tip shop seen me coming out of the garden with them, but I just acted cool and he just gave me a sly smile, so all good lol!

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

My first Jade ever was from the dump cart at a plant shop. They let me have it free because it was "dead". That was in 1999, and I still have it. I also have a 4' ficus alii that was free, fresh from the dump cart at the same plant shop. It was "dead" too, and is now happily living in our kitchen.

Joe

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone know if I'll damage the big guy more if I give him a hit of systemic insecticide? Not only is he covered in snails, spiders etc, lord knows what smaller critters are lurking on him! I want to give him the best chance, I also don't want the critters hitting any of my other plants. He did come from a dump lol

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE: Things are looking up! To started with, I'm pretty sure It's called cereus peruvianus. A name is always good :-). Secondly, I started having a poke around it this morning and OMG the bugs! So I did give it a good hit of systemic. No point trying to save it if It's being eaten from the inside out! Next thing was a clean. And good news, I think It's in considerably better condition then first thought. The scaring is all old, and I picked at a few bits today and took the tops off to reveal solid green dry flesh! It's healed so well already :-) There is a very small piece that is infected with rot, so tomorrow that's coming out, then I will attempt to deal with the base. I think (at this stage) I'll try to keep him all one piece. So will see how it goes tomorrow. Will post (new and shiny) photos in the morning :-)