Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaredhello

Some Succulent help please

Jaredhello
9 years ago

Hello guys!

I'm actually an employee at Lowes, and as such I get a pretty good selection of cacti and succulents to browse from. If I find a plant that's in dire straits (and not yet marked down) I can ask, and usually get it for less than a dollar.

As such, I've gotten a few succulents and made two dish gardens, using Miracle Gro succulent and cacti soil and some of the succulents I've gotten.

However nearly all of them seem to be having issues with something or another, and I've taken some pictures. If anyone could help me diagnose the problems these guys are having (diseases, pests, etc) I'd love to hear it and what I can do to fix them!

Here are the pictures

http://imgur.com/HQcPSuM.jpg
^ the two pots

http://imgur.com/ljq0s74.jpg

^ I believe this is a Painted Lady succulent (If I'm wrong please correct me!) It seems to have some brown shiny spots on the leaves. Is this because of too much sun?

http://imgur.com/TDea9oC.jpg

^ It also has some spots on the stem, too. Another thing to note is that when I had it outside for a day the stem itself turned a dark purple hue. Is that normal, or is this just getting too much sun/water?

http://imgur.com/v3LosFG
^ A Kalanchoe, I think, and it's suffering from black spots all over the leaves. The black spots also seem to lack any water in them. Too much sun again?

http://imgur.com/SvFOHAj.jpg
^ these are called calico kittens, right? These were probably in the worse state compared to the other succulents; the pot was waterlogged and nearly all of the stems were dead. In fact there are only 3 surviving ones left now, the others all succumbed to rot. Are those white spots on the leaves normal? Or is it something I ought to be worried about?

http://imgur.com/2Gogv8k.jpg
^ You can ignore the pinkish fella to the left of the photo, he seems to be doing fine. The one that has the strange wrinkly textured leaf is what I'm worried about; it was a set of 3 of those succulents (I don't know what they're called) and they seem to be dropping a lot of their leaves. They seem to suck the water out of the leaf first then it drops off shortly after. But the wrinkles are different, and worry me a bit. Too much sun?

http://imgur.com/X9g71cs.jpg
^ Baby toes. It was pretty badly overwatered originally, and I think it's definitely doing better, but I do wonder if the biggest toe is going to be alright. It's turned slightly pink and the underside seems to be scarred a little.

http://imgur.com/3RtPiKc.jpg
^Oh, and one of the toes also seems to be having issues near the base of one of the plants. Is it going to be alright, or should i pluck that toe off and hope it comes back? It looks like rot but the toe itself still seems to be alive.

A little backstory on the succulents though; I think I may have put a little too much water in them and didnt give them enough airflow initially. However I noticed the soil wasn't drying out very fast, and put a fan near it to help dry the soil out further. Some small flies also seem to be enjoying the pots (are they hurting the succulents at all?)

I also placed them outside in full sun for a day or two, and I think that may be why nearly all of them are suffering in some way or another. I didn't know they had to be brought up to full sun.

I really hope you guys can help me out with these!

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You need to use the HTML line to show your pictures!!None of your pictures are showing up the way you posted them.
    kathi

• sicklittlemoocow
    9 years ago

The "Painted Lady" is Echeveria nodulosa. I don't think the brown spots are sun related. You might want to add more perlite or some decomposed granite to your soil. I know it's cactus & succulent mix, but it needs to drain faster.

Also, since you are at Lowes all the time - you can easily root a lot of the broken bits that fall off the cactus & succulents. You gotta sweep it up, might as well save some.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Hello and welcome!

Two things every newbie needs to learn:

1. C&S mixes right out of the bag are junk. You will need to mix in at least 50% perlite/gravel/granite....anything to help make the mix more porous.

2. NEVER water a cactus or succulent after planting. Always wait 5-7 days.

Your pots look to be either plastic or ceramic. Do they have drainage holes? Terra cotta pots are preferred, but a drainage hole is more important than what the pot is made of.

Did you introduce the plants to the sun gradually or just plop them out in the sunlight? The change in color is most likely a reaction to suddenly receiving stronger light than it was used to. This is completely normal, like us getting a tan. If you don't like this coloration, simply move the plant to where it receives a little less sun and it should revert back to it's green color.

IMO, I would pot up the baby toes alone, but there are others on here who know more about their care than I do. That goes for what is going on with the leaves, etc, so I won't address that.

Your collection is off to a good start. Good luck!

Nancy

• twiltye
    9 years ago

Here, lemme get that for you:
    {{gwi:558848}}
    ^ the two pots

{{gwi:558849}}

^ I believe this is a Painted Lady succulent (If I'm wrong please correct me!) It seems to have some brown shiny spots on the leaves. Is this because of too much sun?

{{gwi:558850}}

^ It also has some spots on the stem, too. Another thing to note is that when I had it outside for a day the stem itself turned a dark purple hue. Is that normal, or is this just getting too much sun/water?

{{gwi:558851}}
    ^ A Kalanchoe, I think, and it's suffering from black spots all over the leaves. The black spots also seem to lack any water in them. Too much sun again?

{{gwi:558853}}
    ^ these are called calico kittens, right? These were probably in the worse state compared to the other succulents; the pot was waterlogged and nearly all of the stems were dead. In fact there are only 3 surviving ones left now, the others all succumbed to rot. Are those white spots on the leaves normal? Or is it something I ought to be worried about?

{{gwi:558854}}
    ^ You can ignore the pinkish fella to the left of the photo, he seems to be doing fine. The one that has the strange wrinkly textured leaf is what I'm worried about; it was a set of 3 of those succulents (I don't know what they're called) and they seem to be dropping a lot of their leaves. They seem to suck the water out of the leaf first then it drops off shortly after. But the wrinkles are different, and worry me a bit. Too much sun?

{{gwi:558855}}
    ^ Baby toes. It was pretty badly overwatered originally, and I think it's definitely doing better, but I do wonder if the biggest toe is going to be alright. It's turned slightly pink and the underside seems to be scarred a little.

{{gwi:558856}}
    ^Oh, and one of the toes also seems to be having issues near the base of one of the plants. Is it going to be alright, or should i pluck that toe off and hope it comes back? It looks like rot but the toe itself still seems to be alive.

This post was edited by twiltye on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 14:17

• sicklittlemoocow
    9 years ago

The suspected Kalanchoe might be a type of Echeveria as well. Echeveria harmsii - "Plush plant"

• Jaredhello
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hrm. Would it be a bad idea to take the succulents out and try to improve the soil quality at all? The pots are plastic hanging basket ones, and originally didn't have drainage holes. I added them myself though with some patience and a screwdriver. 8)

I'd think that replanting them again so soon would hurt them?

Or am I completely wrong with that?

And I have been trying to save what few succulent pieces I can. The pinkish succulent in the 6th picture was one that I actually saved; it had fallen out of its pot and was going to die.

also thank you twiltye for helpin' me out with the pictures.

I've also not watered them for a while now and the soil seems to be getting a lot drier. The flies I mentioned have also all but disappeared, which I'm guessing is a good thing (since they seem to like plant rot)

This post was edited by Jaredhello on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 0:49

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

You can replant them...they're much tougher than they look! Again, my only concern is with the baby's toes (I find it to be a touchy/fragile plant; others may not).

As long as there is a drainage hole, you're good. :)

What you probably had were fungus gnats. They like wet planting medium. The peat in the C&S mix was most likely holding a lot of water, making your pots a very welcoming place for the gnats. Once your soil is more porous, you should not have a big problem (if any at all) with them.

Nancy

• Jaredhello
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SO! I bought a bag of perlite to help aerate the soil a bit.

Added a lot, I think I nearly doubled the amount of soil I had now.

I also drilled 3 more drainage holes in the bottoms of the pots to help even further.

ANDDD added gravel/rocks to the bottom and top to make them look nicer!

I'm also going to get another succulent to fill the empty spot in one of the pots. I'm really hoping they'll do a lot better now. 8)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry, you may have gone a bit too far. Current thinking suggests that rocks on the bottom don't actually help drainage & may make it worse.

So perhaps next time, I'd skip that & if these were mine I'd unpot them yet again & get the rocks out of the bottom so they can drain properly.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry, you may have gone a bit too far. Current thinking suggests that rocks on the bottom don't actually help drainage & may make it worse.

So perhaps next time, I'd skip that & if these were mine I'd unpot them yet again & get the rocks out of the bottom so they can drain properly.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County