Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nuevo Leon Cacti

Posted by Microthrix none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 3:02

I have, since discovering aztekium (thanks to garden web) , become OBSESSED over cacti from Nuevo Leon ... most of the ones i like the most are INCREDIBLY slow growing ... as of not i have just an aztekium hintonii and am bidding on an aztekium ritteri ... does anyone know where to get the following, (or maybe you have some seeds or grown plants)
1 - Astrophytum Caput-Medusae
2- Epithelantha Ilariae
3- Geohintonia Mexicana
4- Pelecyphora Strobiliformis
5- Turbincarpus Pseudopectinatus
...i have searched ebay and what-not but have not been able to find any! Please help
If you have any i'd love to see pics! Also seed growing and care as they grow older
Thanks!
-Zechariah :P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nuevo Leon Cacti

I think all of those are available from Mesa Gardens, in seed / plant. It's best if you use reputable nurseries to look cryptic cacti - your possibility of disappointment will be greatly lessened. You might contact Cactus Jordi to see if he knows where to find seed, and there's always Koehres, if you want to get them from Germany (and any species with any name, too!).

And while you're generally spelling them correctly, it's the plant's genus name which is capitalized and the species name / subspecies name in lower case. A cultivar's name is usually capitalized, like Astrophytum asterias 'Onzuka'.

o

Ok ill check mesa garden ... i got my aztekium hintonii from germany, and the aztekium ritteri is also from germany ... dont think same seller though ...

Which one is a cultivar though?

o

Neither - they're both species. Now, if some particular characteristic was desirable, and it was different than the rest, you could go through the process of registering the name, and then you'd have a cultivar (= cultivated variety, e.g. Aztekium hintonii 'Jeweled Fluff'.

o

Ohh i think you took that the wrong way o_o they were seperate paragraphs (sort of)
I meant which of the numbered ones was a cultivar, because you mentioned it ...
There are aztekium cultivars :D

o

Name me one, please. And the numbered one? I dinna ken ya.

o

Didnt you say one ''aztekium hintonii "jeweled fluff"?
And of the 5 numbered ones in the original message

o

I don't know if this should go in the trade section but - does anyone have any seeds of the said cacti?

o

Yes, I agree with Jeff...try Cactusjordi.

What Jeff meant was IF you had a cultivar, you would capitalize that name, (and use single quote marks), as he showed with example: Astrophytum asterias 'Onzuka'
and made up name: Aztekium hintonii 'Jeweled Fluff'

All of the plants you listed are species names...that is, no cultivars...and would be spelled as follows:

1- Astrophytum caput-medusae
2- Epithelantha ilariae
3- Geohintonia mexicana
4- Pelecyphora strobiliformis
5- Turbincarpus pseudopectinatus

Good luck!

o

Aww ... i thought it was real ... lost hopes and broken dreams...

o

I always wanted a garden irrigated by the tears of teenagers - is this my chance to get in on the ground (yuck!) floor?

o

Ohh ok ... ( ._.)...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here