Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misselle_gw

Name that plant!

Misselle
9 years ago

Haya All! I've created a new game called Name That Plant. The point is I look at my plants, then look online for 2-3 hours per plant trying to guess what its called. It's great fun when you get one, otherwise it's seems a bit long and boring (a bit like monopoly lol!) So far I've got about 15 names, which isn't bad, but I guess with descriptions like "spikey succulent with hairy bits" I guess it's not a surprise! LOL!

Comments (15)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Isn't there such a forum here on GW? I thought I saw it in the list.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Yes, Marguerite there is, I visit it from time to time. That's its exact name too.

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol! Well I think I'll have to check it out. Cheers :-)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

I have some for you to name! haha... I've never really bothered finding out the names of mine b/c I figured it wouldn't change anything

Unfortunately I have to add them as different posts b/c I can't figure out how to add multiple pics on one post! I tried using photo bucket.

This post was edited by Deva33 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 17:40

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

Can anyone name this one? I love it but it is so darn fragile!

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deva, the second one Sedum morganianum. Well I think so anyway lol. Most of the pictures online have slightly pointed ends like yours but mine has more bubble ends. Same colouration though and mine is very fragile too, any little bump and bits fall off. They shoot really easily though, I just place it back into the pot and off they go. If someone with more experience could confirm that I've got it right, it would be great! :-)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Right. Sedum morganianum. The first one looks rather like a Stapelia lepida, but I'm not a Stapelia person.

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoovb, is there any difference between the slightly rounded one and the slightly pointed one?

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

I believe the first one is some kind of Stapeliad, relative of Hoyas & Ceropegias. If/when it blooms for you, that should help nail down more specifics.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Deva, your 1st plant may be Orbea variegata, but you really need blooms to pin down its ID.

Of the 2 above, the rounded leaf is Sedum burrito & the pointy leaved plant is Sedum morganianum.

• Misselle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks rose! :-)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

Thanks! I can't believe y'all know this stuff!

It has bloomed. The blooms are this magenta type color, with a dark center. I'll see if I can find a pic...

• rosemariero6
    9 years ago

Thanks for the additional info, Deva. With that description, I believe your plant is Huernia schneideriana. A bloom pic would help confirm.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

thanks rosemarieo6... unfortunately I have not been able to find the pic. However - I just repotted it into a bigger pot and the next day I noticed some buds forming on it. Hopefully I can upload those pics soon. and I hope the repotting doesn't disturb it enough to stop the blooms. I have noticed that when I repot it looks a bit sad for a week or two before bouncing back. Sensitive little thing!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Deva
    in the meantime, you can google images of the H. schneideriana - name rosemarie gave you - and see if the blooms look like one that already bloomed for you, so you don't have to wait for ID until it blooms again...JMO.
    Rina