Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigikhoo_gw

Help! My Aloe plicadilis won't branch anymore

gigikhoo
10 years ago

Does anyone know why my formerly-prolific Aloe plicadilis has stopped branching? When I first got it as a single fan, it quickly grew several new branches. My AP is now about 6 years old and beautifully healthy, but has not given me a new fan in three years. The central trunk just seems to grow longer. Thank you for your help. -Gigi

Comments (7)

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

I think they branch after they bloom...so has your plant flowered in the last 3 years?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Do you grow your Fan Aloe in the ground or in a pot? That may have something to do with it. How many branches do you have now? Do you have a pic you can show us? Not that it will help me determine the reason why. Mine bloomed in March. As X asked, did yours bloom in the past 3 yrs.?

Interesting item I just found: the Latin word 'plicatilis' meaning "foldable" is in reference the fan-shaped rosettes (although the leaves don't really fold).

I don't think mine has put on any new branches, but then, I don't count them. Would have to go compare pix from year to year. Maybe I'll do that. :P

{{gwi:519476}}

• gigikhoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies!

Mine has 5 branches from central truck. These 5 branches have produced 9 fans. It is in a container and blooms for me reliably every year. But no new fans for at least three years now. I moved a couple times within the same city, and it had one nasty winter when it was quite wet for months on end. But even so, it has always looked great. And ideas on how to jumpstart it? -gigi

• aloebot
    10 years ago

The picture brings 2 thoughts to mind. Is this grown in full sun? Looks a little etoliated. I would also check the health of the roots. Too much watering and these will waste away. My plant in the ground looks pretty horrible from late summer through the fall. I don't water during this time unless the leaves are almost totally limp. It pumps right up again when we get winter rains here in Socal. Less water and more light makes these more chunky but they won't look pretty and green for part of the year.

• gigikhoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It only gets sun for half the day. I live in Marin county, north of San Francisco, and we get warm days followed by cold foggy ones. I will take your advice and water less, maybe I have water-damaged roots? It is in the sunniest spot I have, so unfortunately I can't boost the light . Thank you for the reply.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Did you have 9 fans 3 years ago? Every time you have a new fan, your branch forks, making a new branch. So, you should have 9 branches now...some smaller than others. Are you trying to get an additional branch to grow from the main stem? If so, I don't think there's any way you can make it do that.

I would also recommend less water.

• gigikhoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, 9 fans for the last few years. I would be pleased with new fans in any location. :-).