Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcadena

When To Re-Pot?

lcadena
9 years ago

I have about 130 cacti/succulent in pots. Because I rent, they are all potted and in the front due to all my dogs in the back. Most of mine are 6 inch or more clay pots. I have a couple of large glazed ceramic ones. My questions are: When do I re-pot? Do the plants stay on the smaller size because of the pot size? And, should I just re-pot to change out or add to the soil once a year?

The ones shown are in full sun. I have others on the porch that get lots of light but no direct sun. I see some growing taller depending on the type of plant, but most of the others have not grown much in the last year. They all appear to be healthy. This is the first time most of them have bloomed. Do I keep to the status quo? Btw, that's my tortoise, Him/Her, in the picture toward the end of the walkway, trying to escape as always. He just figured out he's strong enough to move my barricade of pots aside. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• Becky
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Your collection looks really nice, I like how you have them together like that, it's so neat and orderly! :)

This is my advice from some things I've learned here, but I would take it with a grain of salt and wait to see what someone more experienced them me says.

As for repotting, if you used a standard C&S dirt with no additional perlite, it'd probably be a good idea and repot to add around 40-60% perlite to the mix. This is because of the peat in the C&S mix that will start to rot after a season and clog up the drainage in your pots. So, since I used a C&S mix this year, next spring I'd have to repot all my babies with some more perlite.

From my understanding you don't need to repot unless the plant is getting a lot bigger and is unstable in the pot(see: top heavy cacti) or if the mother plant has so many pups they're literally spilling out of the pot(she'd probably want some room!).
    BUT I have seen very lovely pictures of super crowded succulent and cacti pots, so they may be fine with being crowded.

Also, is that a stack of pots in the back left end? A little farther out then your tortoise? I can't quite make it out very well...

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

I can't imagine having that many plants to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I like my plants, mostly jades, but up here in Wisconsin we don't have the luxury of a long outdoor season, and having a ton of plants would mean a whole lot of moving inside and out, and unless you had a greenhouse, no space inside to keep them when it is cold. With that said, I'm quite jealous of that fine collection there.

I agree with the above post about the soil, which is why I use a gritty mix variation, containing turface, grit, and lava rock. It never breaks down, and makes repotting a breeze. Not to mention that plants, especially C&S, love this porous mix.

Joe

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    9 years ago

I'm just amazed that people don't walk by & steal your pots/plants. When I lived in Miami Beach, people would steal all sorts of plants, including a banana that was in a super-heavy giant ceramic pot right next to my back door that was accessible only via a private walkway.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Icadena, I counted 143 pots Lol.. nice collection and welcome back kiddo, I wondered where you went and now I know, you were collecting cacti & succulents.

What's the bag of Moss for?

Greg

• lcadena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Notebook: Thanks. When I first started, I would just use a bag of cactus mix from the nursery. Now, I mix in about half perlite and a little sand. The column of pots you see at the end, I call my Tower of Power, love the oldies! Anyway, I stuck a piece of 4 foot rebar in the ground and then pushed the 1st pot (largest one) right down to the ground. Each pot already has soil in it. The next smaller pot, I stuck through the hole then, maneuvered it to the right so the edge was on top of the bottom pot. I then did the same with the remaining pots alternating sides. The 2nd & 3rd bottom pots are the same size and the others get smaller as they go up. The hardest part was deciding on which plants to use (I stuck with a green and purple theme) and then trying to keep them from falling out. I just kept pushing them toward the back of each pot and tried to pack the soil in tight. I also put some sea glass in each pot. My second biggest challenge was keeping the squirrels out (they are rampant in my neighborhood and the bane of my existence). I did my tower because I was running out of space and saw something similar on you tube where they did it with herbs. Lots of people stop and admire it and ask me how I bent the rebar. I keep trying to explain it's not bent but I don't think they believe me. I've attached a close up picture.

Joe: thanks. Im in sunny CA so my pots stay put all year long. Sometimes in the winter we may get one or two freezing nights but I just take my chances and they all still do fine.

Ariel: Thanks. So far none have been stolen and I often wonder why or why not. I live in an older established neighborhood and see the same people walking. I always tell everyone who stops to admire, that they are welcome to any pieces but only one young neighbor has taken me up on my offer. One funny thing that happened was a group of young people were walking by and they didn't notice me on my porch. They were pointing to my old man cactus and I called out: " I know it looks like a pe_ _ s huh?" Lol!

Greg: Thanks, and wow, a numbers person. Obviously, I can't count to save my soul. In a raised planter next to my tiny porch, I have about 32 more pots and 11hanging plants. Just like all of you, I can never get or have enough.
    The bag of moss is supposed to be for filling my chicken wire Xmas trees that I want to put at the end of my borders, in time for next Dec. However, my oldest son hasn't gotten around to making the forms for me yet. Of course, I want to fill them with a million pieces of succulents, kind of like a living wreath. Not sure if I will be successful or not. I've been really busy as I'm planning on retiring at the end of next month and I've been inundated with end of the school year stuff. My goal is to now raise my credit score, buy my own house and have a place for a million and one c/s plants. I would love to buy an old Spanish style with a big front tiled area I can decorate with plants. I'm also opening up my own consulting business and hope to see a higher income so I can achieve my goals.

Much love to everyone!

• mingtea
    9 years ago

You have a lot of faith in your neighbors! I've had plants filched before. Grrrr.
    Nicely organized. As for your question, there isn't a general answer, especially since it seems you have a variety.

-Ming

• hijole
    9 years ago

Icadena, That tower is amazing... I've never seenanything that before, nice trix & I'm sure the squirres have a nice time running up and down it, Congratulations on retiring and hope you have a great summer away from school.

Greg