Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joecaudex

Ceropegia sandersonii

JoeCaudex
10 years ago

Hello everyone

Haven't posted here for a very long time, but thought you'd like to see some pics of one of my favourite ever plants, that I amazing found in a local garden centre yesterday! I've tried to grow these from cuttings but they've never flowered.

{{gwi:559679}}

{{gwi:559680}}

{{gwi:559681}}

I'm in love!

Comments (48)

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi...that is a fanastic flower, I have never seen anything like that...thanks for posting.....linda

• laura1
    10 years ago

amazing. very cool...ditto I've never seen anything like it either. TFS.

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

I love Dr. Suess type plants! Good to see you around again, Joe! Beautiful blooms! Thanks for the pix!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Joe,

In the field of interesting flowers of the Ascleps, Ceropegias never fail to amaze me with their ballerina-like form, looking dainty (but you know there's plant steel underneath) and their sprite-like appearance. Or something like that - TFS!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Wow! Those flowers! So elegant and inviting. Ballerina-like is a very good description. How do they smell?

• JoeCaudex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No scent from the flowers but they're so beautiful they don't need it. Like everyone has said. These unique blooms are rarely seen. If only my other Ceropegia species would flower. In my opinion they are better than the best Stapelia blooms, and they are tough to beat!

• paul_
    10 years ago

Such cool flowers! Been wanting to try one of these but never see them around.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Congratulations and WOW! It makes me want to verge into a whole other family of obsessions, I mean plants..

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Very Cool flowers...I've never seen those before either...Thanks for posting!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Awesome!
    I've had mine a few years, but it hasn't bloomed.
    I think I give it too much sun, not enough nutrition.

Josh

• reggie
    10 years ago

Love it. Love it. Love it. I have been looking to purchase that plant somewhere without luck. So glad you shared those pictures with us. Thanks Joe. Where are you growing this? Are you located in the west?

• JoeCaudex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Reggiee I'm in the UK. The south west of the UK. It's quite happy in my East facing bedroom window.

• rblegend
    10 years ago

Wow...so interesting colors/blooms!
    Rae Ann

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

Here is mine. Just starting to bloom. I'll post a new pic when the flowers are large enough.

• Paul MI
    7 years ago

One of my favorites. Got a cutting of one in trade a few years ago. Been a slow grower for me and no blooms. Even more unfortunate, I later learned that the one I have is not actually sandersonii. Don't blame the person I got it from ... She had been misinformed as to what it was. *sigh*. Well some day, perhaps I'll have one.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Lydia

Hope to see close-ups when fully opened, such different looking blooms. You have beautiful plants (saw many on other threads...)

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

Thank you! I will sure post a pic. I love taking pics of my plants!!

• triffidmoss
    7 years ago

Here is mine! On the top right. No flowers though :(

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

Is it growing like crazy for you, triffidmoss? Mine is attaching to the greenhouse and I'm tempted to let it. The flowers aren't fully open yet but I still took pics.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Lydia

You need to post photos of your succulents on C&S forum (I am sure you did in past)...have noticed that you have quite a few, some are always visible in your photos of many different hoyas and other tropicals.

7 years ago

One day I hope mine blooms! I think it's due a re-potting. Now that I have a greenhouse, I've kept the plant there all Winter, and it has done much better.

Josh

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

I do. They were my first plant passion :) I used to post in the cactus and succulent forum many many moons ago. I don't ask too many questions but I love sharing pics of my plants and love to see everyone's plants. How they grow them, where they grow them......happy that you enjoy my pics, rina :)

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

Yes, that could be it Josh. Its busy growing it's root system.

7 years ago

Well, I decided to re-pot....and I found a lot of thick white congested roots, which I splayed out and covered with fresh mix. I used a much larger hanging pot this time, and watered it in. Now it's hanging in the greenhouse.

This plant has been in this pot for years. In fact, it was rooted in this pot. I've chopped it back on many occasions, after it had grown six or seven feet.

Now it may have a chance of thriving and blooming.

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

Looks very healthy. I'm sure it'll bloom for you soon. Do you have other Ceropegia? I have another. I think it's Ceropegia stapeliiformis. Its easy to rot so I have be very careful. Looks like it's getting ready to bloom also.

new growth

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

So alien like! I love it! Is it a difficult one to grow?

7 years ago

Lydia, I only have this one, which I received as cuttings from a Gardenweb member many years ago - November of 2009!!!

• Pagan
    7 years ago

It doesn't seem to be temperamental, Lydia, although I haven't really pushed it. I grew it indoors the first year I had it. It bloomed freely and nonstop once it summered outdoors and then went into dormancy long before my other winter-dormant plants. Since it was still relatively warm when it went dormant, I am guessing it was responding more to the shortening of days rather than the decline in temps. This thread actually reminded me to get it out of the basement and slowly wake it up just to make sure it will wake up.

Here's the bloom last summer:

I love your C. sandersonii; I hope I come across one.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

Ceropegia blooms are just so other-worldly. I hadn't seen this bloom before; just stunning! Which one is that Pagan?

I was nicely surprised last Oct. when this bloomed in the kitchen window (west). So strangely beautiful.

Just a couple of blooms but certainty attention-grabbers!

I had C. sandersonii for a number of years, never bloomed for me & I shared it w/ several folks here as I recall. Mine used to get these knobby joints, so strange. You can see it on pix of Josh & Triffid, sort of a thickening at the nodes, aerial roots?

I was given a small bit of Ceropegia stapeliiformis, but lost it, to rot, so interesting to hear Lydia's comment about that vulnerability.

For more on these bizarre plants if you haven't seen it, check out "The Ceropegia Journal", by my friend Sage Reynolds.

Lydia, seems Ceropegias like same conditions as Hoyas, I've seen some of the beauties you've posted, really fabulous plants.

For those who may not have seen them, Lydia's got some stunning pix of gorgeous plants posted at Cactus Gallery, if you haven't been there lately.

7 years ago

Karen, funny you mention that...I repotted a hoya today....and then I potted my Ceropegia into the container that the hoya had been in!

Josh

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

Thank you, Karen :) they are all growing next to each other and thriving. Although, I do skip around with the watering....I have to be careful with the huernias and the more rare variegated ones.

• triffidmoss
    7 years ago

I just have the woodii, sandersonii and ampliata. Only the woodii has been growing and flowering well. They other two have roots growing out the bottom of the pot.. Repotting time me thinks! Should I wait till Spring? We are coming into Autumn now here. But still have some warm weather. Sandersonii might be getting too much sun, it's leaves are purple and burgandy. Oops.

Woodii had a vine that grew down through a shelf and to the ground then along under the shelf in the dark. I finally pulled the vine out and while it's pale green from being in the dark it's got flowers every where! There is 3 flowers at each leaf junction, it's incredible! The rest of the plant has far less flowers. Who knew it likes the dark! I shoved the cut off vine in my mix pot of "string ofs" to see if it will root.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Karen, the photo is of the D. dimorpha flower.

Trifidmoss, I repotted mine in January and it didn't skip a beat. But keep it warm.

• triffidmoss
    7 years ago

Thanks Pagan, I'll think about it if the weather stays warm.

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

They finally opened up all the way.

• Paul MI
    7 years ago

Very nice Lydia!

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

Thank you :D

• Pagan
    7 years ago

It is beautiful, Lydia. Haven't found anyone I'd buy this one from.

• reggie
    7 years ago

Those are huge blooms, Lydia. Fantastic!

• Alain (Pacifica, CA;10a)
    7 years ago

Are Ceropegia easy to start from seeds and where can we found some. Stumbled on a couple of sellers in Europe but would prefer local (US).

Thanks

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Great blooms Lydia. And thank you for showing whole plant too - I thought that flowers are much smaller.

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

I bought my plant on ebay. Seeds, I wouldn't trust. I've purchased and sowed. Some didn't germinate and the ones that did were not what they should have been haha...learned my lesson with that....yes, the blooms are huge. I didn't expect them that big either. I've just had this plant for 3 months. I see lots of new growth and more blooms coming.

• triffidmoss
    7 years ago

How do you grow these from cuttings? I've tried and they always die without rooting.

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

The ones I've purchased have always been rooted. I'm going to try it with this Ceropegia since it's large enough. I'll let you know if it works for me.

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Update pic

lots of new growth. Had to unravel it and pin it back on itself.

• triffidmoss
    6 years ago

Went and found this thread again while looking for ideas why mine looks so unhappy. I missed the boat with repotting mine before Winter but I'm going to put mine up onto a trellis when I do. All the nice plants with flowers are trellised. :D

6 years ago

I was just out in the greenhouse and discovered the beginnings of a bloom! I guess the repotting was just the ticket. I also generously fertilized with Osmocote.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County