Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassactus

help with ID and/or proper care instructions, please!

sassactus
9 years ago

Someone gave this to my mother, and she doesn't know how to take care of it, so it seems to be slowly dying. Does anyone know what this is and/or what to do?

Comments (8)

• sassactus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's a slightly more close up photo! any advice would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Really Like this plant, but dont kno what it is, but the best thing to remember about cacti and succulents in General is that YOU only water when the soil is dry and you gatta poke YOUR finger into the soil a little bit, if its wastwater it...if it's damp leave it be. With these plant's when in doubt, DON'T! Is the best method on watering. You also have very heavy soil in the pot, these plants do best in either a "gritty mix" or a cacti and succulent soil,and %50 perlite added for extra drainage. The easiest way is to repot the plant with %50 cacti and succulent soil then mix %50 perlite ...mix it up and wait about a week to water the plant so the roots can heal. Try to get as much of the old dirt off the roots as best YOU can before repotting. Make sure the new pot you're putting IT IN has. Drain holes , and and slowly accumulate the plant to as much bright light as YOU can provide.I'm sure others will chime in if i left something OUT or if they know what the plant is! Goodluck

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Oop's sorry double posted, ignore this

This post was edited by KittieKAT on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 11:02

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Euphorbia flanaganii, AKA 'Medusa's Head.'

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

What an interesting plant! I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

It looks like some bottom branches are dying, which is natural, but the plant is putting out new limbs and looks good. When you repot, trim off the dead branches.

Remember that Euphorbia have a caustic latex sap, so be careful.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

It is E. flanaganii and will want lots of direct sun light all day long to keep the arms large and the head tight. Otherwise, it will get spindle thin arms. In the winter, if you have winters as we do in Michigan, you'll want to decrease watering as this has a large tap root and will rot easily if given too much water.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

The lower leaves yellowing says to me it's getting too much water. Check your soil to see if it is retaining water more than it should. More sun & let it dry out between waterings.

• sassactus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't mean to bump an old/answered thread back to the top, but thank you everyone for your help! I don't think my mom waters it much anymore and it's getting more sunlight, and it's become fully green again. Thanks!