Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia flowers male or female

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 8:02

How do you tell the difference between male and female flowers? I pulled up Bikerdoc's old post but the pics are no longer available. These are blooms on a meloformis, white ball and fruticosa. Can the meloformis and white ball be used to pollinate each other? TIA
E. meloformis
E. White Ball
E. fruticosa
I know this isn't a succulent but there's several fruit on my Corallocarpus bainesii. I have no idea if they'll hold. This is the first year that fruit has developed. It blooms early on but the caudex is very slow to enlarge.
Corallocarpus bainesii

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euphorbia flowers male or female

Sorry Karyn. The first pic is a male flower. If you use a magnifying glass, you'll see there is a yellow "powdery" material on the ends of the anthers. The male flower will begin with, usually, yellow ball-like structures which will mature and become fuzzy or powdery; sometimes they don't mature and just fall off as small yellow balls. OK, let's not allow our minds to get off topic, here, this is a "G-rated" site!!!! The second pic is a female and is typical of Euphorbia female flowers in that it has 3 stigma to its pistil. The third pic is a very immature female flower.

o

Maybe a correction on the 3rd pic. The pic is not clear and it could be a monecious flower. With some monecious Euphorbia, the female flower emerges first followed shortly by the male flower, as with this picture of Euphorbia leuconeura

o

Thanks Howard. I remembered your previous post but when I went back the pics weren't there. I tried lifting some pollen from the meloformis with a paint brush but didn't really see any loose pollen so I guess they are still immature. I'll see what happens with them and the fruticosa flowers over the next several days.

o

Bikerdoc, I only see one picture where you said there were 2. Is what you call the third picture a second picture?

o

Mara, Karyn posted three pictures of Euphorbia flowers. My reference is to her pictures.

o

Karyn, are you trying to cross the Euphorbia White Ball Project with the Euphorbia meloformis? The female flowers on the E. meloformis are not ready to accept pollen. You should be able to cross the other Euphorbia when the pollen gets fuzzy. If you have a problem using the paint brush, try a very fine pointed pair of tweezers and pluck off some pollen anthers and apply them directly to the stigma. If you are successful, you'll know in about 10 days to two weeks because you'll see a swollen green seed capsule. Don't forget to cover it, or you won't have any seed after the explosion!!!!!!

o

I was going to try using the meloformis pollen on the white ball but the pollen isn't ready yet. They are still "little balls". Hopefully I'll see some fluffy pollen before the flowers on the white ball drop.

o

Karyn, keep me posted. I have a meloformis that should have some female flowers synchronized with my male White Ball Project and both of us maybe will get some positive results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here