Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soygata

Various cacti

soygata
16 years ago

Hi folks....

I have two cacti (not sure what kind) that started growing all kinds of "limbs" or "buds" for lack of a better word a couple of years ago. The "limbs" are growing along with the plant, but a couple have fallen off. My boyfriend stuck one of the fallen limbs into the potting mixture and it appears to be growing. Can I break off some of the limbs to create new plants? Is this the cacti's way of propogating? If not, how do cacti propogate?

Here's a pic so you can see what I mean about the limbs.

{{gwi:560292}}

You can see the limb that fell off of one plant and was stuck in the pot with the madasgar palm (the tall, spiny plant in the middle... my cats have eaten the palm foilage! Oops!)

Anybody want to take a shot at identifying the other two (left and right) cacti? Here's another pic so you can see the entire plant(s).

{{gwi:560293}}

Thanks for any information that you can provide!

Sarah

Comments (5)

• johnh_or
    16 years ago

Not sure of the varieties but your plants are sure yearning for some sunlight. Do they get any at all?

• sjv78736
    16 years ago

"...but your plants are sure yearning for some sunlight..."

I agree that all these plants are seriously etiolated. Can you move them outside for summer? If so, do it slowly, only a few hrs at a time so they do not sunburn. Jo

• soygata
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why do they appear etiolated to you? (I'm new to this.) How would they appear if they were healthier? (Goodness... I thought the "sprouts" were a sign of health!!)

They get direct eastern light for several hours a day, through a window that is a few feet away ... those pictures were taken at night, in poor lighting conditions.

Unfortunately, I cannot place the plants outside for the summer or they would likely "walk away" ... the down side to city apartment living... at least in Jackson, MS. But I can place them outside whenever I'm home on the weekends.

Can anybody answer my question regarding the "limbs" (or sprouts or buds... whatever) that have grown on the cacti? Can I remove them to create more plants?

Thanks for your advice... I'll try to expose my cacti to more sunlight whenever I can.

• johnh_or
    16 years ago

"Why do they appear etiolated to you? "

Because the new growth is much thinner and paler than the original. The plant is "stretching" to get more light.

"They get direct eastern light for several hours a day, through a window that is a few feet away "

The sunlight need to shine directly on the cacti for optimum growing conditions. Light from a bright eastern window is not strong enough. Do you have any western or southern windows?

"Can I remove them to create more plants?"
    Yes, you can. Cut them off and allow the wound to callous over for at least a week and plant in some fast draining cacti soil. Don't water until you see signs of new growth. You can mist the soil surface to just keep it barely damp. And they will need some SUN after they have rooted or will suffer a slow demise.

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

soygata

those plants are really suffering from lack of sun, their health will slowly decline unless you can correct the lack of photointensity - cactus and succulents are so resilient and tough, they can put up with lots of neglect for a long time, but not forever

x