o
What do you think of this soil mix?

Posted by QSis 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 9:06

I have:

- a bag of Miracle Gro Cactus and Succulent soil

-5 lb. bag of fine desert sand

- a bag of Perlite

Would a mix of 1:1:1 of those be okay for my Lithops and cacti? Maybe some small gravel on top?

Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think of this soil mix?

Fine Desert sand is NOT something to be used for C&S plants. It will cause drainage problems & clog up the plants' roots & be nothing but trouble. I can't speak strongly enough AGAINST it. We try to discourage using sand at all (tho' some folks will use COARSE sand or builders sand, never fine sand) .

If the MG C&S mix is what you've got, perhaps just use 50/50% w/ perlite, omit the sand entirely. (I grow C&S indoors only, mostly succ, few cacti except Holiday Cacti .)

o

Hi Lee,

I would agree with PG that fine sand is the wrong thing. I searched & found a recent thread where I elaborated about my soil mix. Feel free to ask questions if it's confusing, the recipe is spread throughout the description.
This is what I'm doing now that works for my conditions, was taught to me by a real master. You'll find, if you search, people's soil mixes are as individual as themselves. Your conditions and practices should dictate your soil blend. In one hot, dry New Mexico greenhouse that I'm familiar with, the soil is about 60% sandy desert dirt. That would never work for me here on the coast.

Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's just like... my opinion, man.

o

Pls. note on the attached link, -- the last comment's cautions not to start Lithops seeds, now, wrong time of year, wait 'til Sept.

o

Thank you hanz and pg!

Yes, Hanz, I did see your earlier post. But 1) I am a frugal Bostonian and was hoping I could do with what I had already bought, and 2) I really wanted to repot the 2 little Lithops I had before I go on vacation next week, but have zero time to hunt and get pumice and "washed sand".

sigh

The other stuff I can get.

Thank you both for steering me away from desert sand!

Lee

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 21:06

if you are in Boston, I bet you can find a whole bunch of different grades of granite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here