Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marguerite_gw

Gentle Cacti

I have a cactus which looks spiny but isn't, I think someone on this forum identified it some time ago as a rebutia, and I will endeavour to post its photo shortly...then in another post KittieKAT mentioned her cactus which is probably Golden Ball cactus, (has anyone got the Latin name, by any chance, please?) - anyway, I'm probably a bit of a wuss, but loving cacti and succulents, I was wondering, could I get a few names of 'gentle' cacti like the aforementioned, which I could look out for? It doesn't seem to be a detail mentioned in books.

Comments (33)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Can you get us a picture of you "gentle Cactus" so we could try ti ID it? Rebutia is a large family.

The golden ball cactus is Echinocactus grusonia. One can google Golden ball cactus and come up with that information.

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Golden ball could refer to notocactus/parodia leninghausii,
    -Ming

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Notocactus leninghausii- golden ball cactus is what mine is i Beleive

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Really, I didn't know that. Not really descriptive of the plant. It is not really a "ball" when grown. Mine is a tall and thinnish 12' column. Photographs really do help.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Yea mine isn't a ball either i don't kno why it's called THAT? ??

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Pelecyphora - the gentlest of cacti, but not easy to grow. Ariocarpus, too, never mind Lophophora, not to speak of Lophocereus schottii monstrosa.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

This is mine a golden ball, that isn't really a..err..ball?

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Mines sooo soft and UN painful i can hold him like this and squeeze! I also pet him

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KittieKAT and Ming, the plant you refer to is the one that doesn't jab, while the Echinocactus grusonia does - I looked them up and thanks all for the help. The latter is apparently ball-shaped, while, as its owners mention, the former does not continue that way.

Now for the picture of my 'gentle' cactus:

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic of the same plant.

Any other names of cacti for wusses would be most welcome, I'm going a-hunting that Notocactus/Parodia leninghausii !

9 years ago

That's possibly Rebutia albipilosa. A pretty plant.

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Feather mammillaria (m. Plumosa) could be considered "gentle." I like several of the sulcorebutias for that reason.

-Ming

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

KittieKAT You sure make the most of your nice porch garden! There are upsides to it: you don't have to deal with the weather changes, you have no gophers or other varmints eating your plants, and you don't acquire so many plants that you don't have the time to admire and care for each of them. :)
    It's obvious how much enjoyment you get out of them. Min

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Oh i sit out there for hours!! ...when the weather's nice haha it does get kinda cold inn the sun porch and a little shaky when the Tia chi class is going on in the dojo below ME! But i luv that about this place that i have enough room to move things around and "chase the sun" as i like to say. I can't avoid all pests some bugs that don't get eaten by my carnivorous plants end up freaking me out which causes me to scream like a little girl at a Justin beiber concert and not go out there until i grow a pair..LOL
    Bird are the number one i always find holes in my screen windows (not ALL my Windows have glass) And feathers stuck in the holes....nothing like duck tape to ruin a view....onto a busy street! Haha

As much as id like my own house and a yard, this will do just fine

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cactusmcharris and Ming, you've given me lots to look up. thanks for the possible i.d., Cactus., and the other 'gentles', Ming.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Mammillaria Bocasana cv. 'Fred' Crestate.
    {{gwi:560932}}

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Or maybe you prefer this version.
    {{gwi:560933}}

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Cereus peruvianus monstrose 'Mini'

{{gwi:560935}}

Rebutia muscula

{{gwi:524173}}

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Oops, my post showed up twice.

Jeff,
    I believe that is a Rebutia, but it is not Rebutia albipilosa, which more closely resembles R. muscula, as it also has red orange flowers.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 0:21

• Microthrix
    9 years ago

Heres a couple of my gentle cacti. I often find myself petting them after a long day filled with stress...
    Pelecyphora aselliformis and strobilliformis
    {{gwi:560936}}
    Mammillaria plumosa
    {{gwi:560938}}
    Copiapoa tenuissima monstrose
    {{gwi:560939}}
    And my Astrophytum myriostigma "Quad"
    {{gwi:560940}}

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Micro,
    Glad to see you posting pictures of your plants again. :)

Planto

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sundewd, Planto, Micromix, thanks so much, I'm busy writing all those down .Cactusm Jeff, I googled Rebutia albipilosa and came up somehow with R.albiflora, and I really think that's it, so thanks for leading me there.
    Who knew there were so many cuddly cacti !

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Hey all, I just wanted to make a note of something here... I notice a lot of you consider Notocactus Leninghausii to be harmless... Well, please do not think that for a minute. One of the worst cactus thorns I ever got stuck with my life was from a Golden Ball I have. I caught it just the wrong way and it embedded 4 very small and painful hairs deep into my hand. It took several weeks of digging, soaking and agony to finally get healed from it. The hairs disappear in your skin and its just,a total nightmare to locate or remove. I too thought they were harmless.... Until this happened to me. so, please, keep in mind that while these are fuzzy and cute and seem innocuous, when angered they will unleash a hurt you wouldnt believe. So, just... Caution all.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the warning, Sundewd. What were they angry about?

Also, I can't see many spines on other Astrophytums, how about Astrophytum asterias, for instance, does anyone know?

9 years ago

We do, Marguerite, and yes, that's a prime one, particularly with all the cultivars there are.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cactusmcharris, many rhanks again. I think I can find seeds of those and give them a go. According to a book I'm reading, some cactus growers only grow astrophytums ! How come I passed them by before without noticing !

9 years ago

Bad information - deleted.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 14:18

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Awww thats so sad, I'm glad my golden ball isn't angry!!! Maybe it's cause i pet him all the time and talk to my plant's like a CRAZY person *shrugs*

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure I'm sure most of us do that, KittieKAT. No way are you crazy. Regards to Mr. Golden Ball, what's his first name?

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Lol actually I don't know if for sure he was angry. Was doing some rearranging and I accidentally smacked into his. Maybe it was cause he was upset about the move and then being slapped?

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Lol actually I don't know if for sure he was angry. Was doing some rearranging and I accidentally smacked into his. Maybe it was cause he was upset about the move and then being slapped?

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mmmm, it's a thorny question, I suppose.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I need a Mammillaria Bocasana cv. 'Fred' Crestate. Fred is my dads name. lol

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022