Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troth Gardens

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 9:18

This is the second time posting these. The site swallowed the last attempt and 30 minutes of my morning.

I have been changing up and planting new dish gardens . I have also combined Mesemb TYPE plants with others. We will see how it goes. My other experiment worked for 2 years so I am trying others. I did give my Alionpsis a crowded rocklined space.

New troth garden

Echeveria mazarine bloom

Troth Garden:Alionopsis shooneesii, cremnosedum

Troth Garden; Alionopsis malherbei, semps, senecio himalaya, cremnosedum

I kinda screwed up with my choice of fertilizer. I didn't think about the staining.

Troth garden

Beachplant, or anyone,. What is going on with the center of my Alionopsis malherbei ? Merestem damage, flowering, next years growth, desease?

Alionopsis malherbei

This one is from last year but it shows the fenestaria, pleiospilos neli, faucaria and stapelia with opuntia and Euforbia

Pleiospilos nelii and Echeveria

Here is an old Cauldron Garden that I am always changing up and a cactus dish that I altered. The Cactus that was growing there got to large and needed it's own pot. Today I will be inserting two Agave victoriae-reginae into the cracks of the rock pile. I hope I don't kill them in the process.

DSC_0186

Dark Night and Grizzly Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troth Gardens

Mara, I will confess, I have never seen that on a Aloinopsis. Maybe bacterial infection or aphids/mite that caused abnormal growth? They are very susceptible to aphids/mite.

Love the troths by the way. I guess it is like gardening - have to keep hand one them.

o

I was thinking it might be mights. Yikes. How do you treat for mites. would that be as in ALOE mites type critter. I was starting to think it looked like aloe mite. I have been mite free in my collection. I might toss the plant and spray all of my other plants.

o

I love all of those,my favorite is the burgandy/grey looking echevaria,or whatever it is in the 3rd picture from the bottom.TFS
kathi

o

Nice! I love the added interest with the different rocks

o

Beautiful dish gardens!

o

The burgundy one is the oldest. one. I have been changing that one up for 5 years.The others need to grow into their own.

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 23:12

They're gorgeous. And it makes me wish I could get a new, nice camera. The shots do them justice! What do you shoot with, if I may ask?

o

Thankyou, all. I forgot a couple of dishes. Y'all might get an update. I shoot with a Nikon D-80. It has been discontinued, but they have other comparable models. I find their color balance is not alway right on and I need to adjust for it. There are programs to do that but I am good at color correcting in my photo library. I think they have corrected this in the later models. It has a nice sized sensor field. AND high pixel count (no longer THAT high) but I think that pixel count is only a third of it sensor field size is much more important. Many cameras have 12 megapixels and a sensor field one 32 the size so the pictures are just not as rich. And the glass (lens) quality is really important also. I always buy upgraded lenses and not the kit lens. I use my camera professionally but I do not call myself a photographer.

o

Mara, in my case I would toss it, but then I sow seeds so I have at least 5 others. I just wish I knew what caused that, certainly not natural.

o

It is already tossed. It was a $2.99 plant. They are not expensive and I have about 30 aloes that I have been growing for years and worth a lot more in time, and love. I would not want to put them at risk. The more I look at it , the more it looks like aloe mite. I am going to treat all my aloes for mite even if I seen nothing.

o

Love the bowl gardens, Mara - such colour and form on display, and the chunks of rocks are most delightful.

Trough garden? When I saw your post, I was thinking that 'troth garden' would be a good place to get married, to pledge one's troth to one's beloved.

o

I learned to speak english at 7 years of age and I am afraid that I have never stopped brutalizing the language. I hold my tittle Mara the Queen of Malaprop with pride and a up lifted tilt of my nose.. I am contemplating purposely misspelling that as MARAprop

o

Mara,

I trust you know I wasn't picking on you. Love the Maraprop. Brutalize away, sez me. And the upturned nose just adds to your majesty.

o

I did not even look twice at it as we use the word "trog" in afrikaans for a elongated drinking bowl or planter! But I am unfortunately "English Challenged", much worse than you, Mara. My wife tend to say, they should have fired your teacher, and that goes for the teacher of idioms as well - I make up my own! LOL! So do not feel alone!

o

Very, very, very nice:-)

o

Her post's title reminds me of our ideal of getting married in a garden, so it's a blissful Maraprop.

o

Ewwwww! Just gorgeous! I love how you used the rocks and the colors they added. I also must admit how much I admire your photography! Good job!

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here