Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Troth Gardens

This is the second time posting these. The site swallowed the last attempt and 30 minutes of my morning.

I have been changing up and planting new dish gardens . I have also combined Mesemb TYPE plants with others. We will see how it goes. My other experiment worked for 2 years so I am trying others. I did give my Alionpsis a crowded rocklined space.

{{gwi:539341}}

{{gwi:561087}}

{{gwi:561089}}

{{gwi:561091}}

I kinda screwed up with my choice of fertilizer. I didn't think about the staining.

{{gwi:539344}}

Beachplant, or anyone,. What is going on with the center of my Alionopsis malherbei ? Merestem damage, flowering, next years growth, desease?

{{gwi:561093}}

This one is from last year but it shows the fenestaria, pleiospilos neli, faucaria and stapelia with opuntia and Euforbia

{{gwi:561095}}

Here is an old Cauldron Garden that I am always changing up and a cactus dish that I altered. The Cactus that was growing there got to large and needed it's own pot. Today I will be inserting two Agave victoriae-reginae into the cracks of the rock pile. I hope I don't kill them in the process.

{{gwi:561097}}

{{gwi:561100}}

Comments (17)

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Mara, I will confess, I have never seen that on a Aloinopsis. Maybe bacterial infection or aphids/mite that caused abnormal growth? They are very susceptible to aphids/mite.

Love the troths by the way. I guess it is like gardening - have to keep hand one them.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking it might be mights. Yikes. How do you treat for mites. would that be as in ALOE mites type critter. I was starting to think it looked like aloe mite. I have been mite free in my collection. I might toss the plant and spray all of my other plants.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I love all of those,my favorite is the burgandy/grey looking echevaria,or whatever it is in the 3rd picture from the bottom.TFS
    kathi

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

Nice! I love the added interest with the different rocks

• bama_gardener
    11 years ago

Beautiful dish gardens!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The burgundy one is the oldest. one. I have been changing that one up for 5 years.The others need to grow into their own.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

They're gorgeous. And it makes me wish I could get a new, nice camera. The shots do them justice! What do you shoot with, if I may ask?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thankyou, all. I forgot a couple of dishes. Y'all might get an update. I shoot with a Nikon D-80. It has been discontinued, but they have other comparable models. I find their color balance is not alway right on and I need to adjust for it. There are programs to do that but I am good at color correcting in my photo library. I think they have corrected this in the later models. It has a nice sized sensor field. AND high pixel count (no longer THAT high) but I think that pixel count is only a third of it sensor field size is much more important. Many cameras have 12 megapixels and a sensor field one 32 the size so the pictures are just not as rich. And the glass (lens) quality is really important also. I always buy upgraded lenses and not the kit lens. I use my camera professionally but I do not call myself a photographer.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Mara, in my case I would toss it, but then I sow seeds so I have at least 5 others. I just wish I knew what caused that, certainly not natural.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is already tossed. It was a $2.99 plant. They are not expensive and I have about 30 aloes that I have been growing for years and worth a lot more in time, and love. I would not want to put them at risk. The more I look at it , the more it looks like aloe mite. I am going to treat all my aloes for mite even if I seen nothing.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Love the bowl gardens, Mara - such colour and form on display, and the chunks of rocks are most delightful.

Trough garden? When I saw your post, I was thinking that 'troth garden' would be a good place to get married, to pledge one's troth to one's beloved.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I learned to speak english at 7 years of age and I am afraid that I have never stopped brutalizing the language. I hold my tittle Mara the Queen of Malaprop with pride and a up lifted tilt of my nose.. I am contemplating purposely misspelling that as MARAprop

11 years ago

Mara,

I trust you know I wasn't picking on you. Love the Maraprop. Brutalize away, sez me. And the upturned nose just adds to your majesty.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

I did not even look twice at it as we use the word "trog" in afrikaans for a elongated drinking bowl or planter! But I am unfortunately "English Challenged", much worse than you, Mara. My wife tend to say, they should have fired your teacher, and that goes for the teacher of idioms as well - I make up my own! LOL! So do not feel alone!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Very, very, very nice:-)

11 years ago

Her post's title reminds me of our ideal of getting married in a garden, so it's a blissful Maraprop.

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

Ewwwww! Just gorgeous! I love how you used the rocks and the colors they added. I also must admit how much I admire your photography! Good job!

Penny