Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ealdwood

Alcohol vs spidermites, dried brown patches around joints

ealdwood (10a)
9 years ago

Hi!
Does anyone know what those brown patches around the joints of my cotelydon/crassulae (I'm not sure which..)succulent plant are? Is that a bad sign?

The story:

I bought these two succulents from a nursery recently, brought it home, repotted them together with mixture of cacti/succulent soil/normal potting soil. Placed a few rocks in the soil to hopefully help the soil stay dry because pot doesn't have holes on the bottom.

Found out one of the succulents (both?) had spider mites. (AAHHH!) Used isopropyl alcohol and a small paint brush and painted the succulent, stuck masking tape around the edge of the pot. In total caught around 13-14 mites. (I don't know why I count them.)

Did the alcohol thing twice. I didn't water the pot for a week (following advice I searched online that said to leave repotted succulents alone..?) Unfortunately the flowers that were trying to bloom dried out. (So sad)

So if you look at the picture, there are these dried brown patches around the joints of the succulent that had spider mites. Does this mean it's dying? What am I doing wrong? I gave both of them a bit of filtered water three days ago.

Comments (8)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Just to comment on your repotting: good you did it, but I think that you would be much better off with a mix of cacti/succulent soil + a perlite (50/50).
    Normal potting soil is too heavy. Mix you have now will probably stay wet too long. To check if watering is necessary, use a pencil/wooden dowel/skewer or even your finger, stick in the soil & check if it feels moist or dry. If too wet, soil will stick to it & skewer will also feel cold if you touch it to your wrist or cheek.
    Adding few rocks will not help, best is to make sure you have drainage hole. Either get another pot with it, or you can drill (if you have proper drill & drill bit) a drainage hole. It's not difficult if you have means to do it.
    If you can get hold of grit (small stones size of about aquarium grit), that would be good addition to your potting medium. You can search on this forum for ideas, for example this thread:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg111319389323.html
    and there is more info available.
    But drainage hole is important...hope I am not telling you what you already read!
    Rina

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rina! I like the tip about the skewer because the topsoil usually dried out fast anyways. I'll try that out. I actually did try to get one of my pots drilled yesterday (in hopes of transferring these guys there) but I think the drill bit wasn't the right type for ceramics because it only made a slight dent after a bit of drilling. So I gave up, didn't want to damage the drill (friend's).
    I think I'll try to get some Perlite or small gravel grit stuff then, I didn't want to originally because they're sold in pretty big quantities and I just need some for this 5"x6" pot..
    You don't think those brown patches are from too moist a soil?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Not sure about dark spots, hopefully someone with more experience will read this & answer.
    If you need just a small amount of grit, maybe you can try to go to garage sales - someone maybe getting rid of old fish tank etc...or try freecycle if there is one in your community (I got almost 50lb of fish tank gravel from someone!!! - and it's free; or maybe even a little bag of perlite) - better to get natural, without extra color in it...or see if there is anyone in your area from this forum that may have enough to share (chicken grit is all I use).
    How about the mites - hope they are not back? Sounds like you were very diligent about the alcohol "wipe"!
    Do you have any other plants?
    They don't have to be only succulents/cacti to benefit from a better soil mix.

And, btw - do you have any outdoor area? Most of these plants will do very well in sun, as long as you introduce them to full sun gradually.

If you could, post a picture showing whole plant (is other one the same?) to get ID on it.
    Rina

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of how they looked after I just repotted them..
    I do have another plant, it's a dracaena marginata that almost died before I recently was finally able to correctly diagnose it had fusarium leaf spot disease (white mold looking stuff in the soil) and leaves were continuously getting these indented scorch marks with yellow rings. I bought a fungicide and repotted that guy with the fungicide spray and half normal potting soil and half cacti mix because I read it didn't like to have wet feet.
    Anyways I do have freecycle here, I'll keep an eye out for those aquarium supply or pea stone posts. Or just go buy some Perlite :p
    I just noticed the other healthier succulent's (echeveria) flower blooms are also dying. I'm clearly not doing something right...gave them a bit more water today, my guess is that since they're facing a south window (I don't have an outside area, apartment :/ ) and the sun's been out lately and they got so dry they just cut off energy to the flowers to conserve the leaves. Or I'm completely wrong and they already have root rot a week after I brought them home. Grr...

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's how it looks now... Notice dried up flower blooms for both succulents. noooo...

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I wouldn't even allow them to exert energy in flowering when battling an infestation that could kill them. Cut any developing flower stalks. Sorry, but its for the best.

Mainly wanted to comment on aloes in containers without holes. One of my nicest and meatiest aloe vera is in a small square clay glazed pot without drainage... However I keep it in a rather dense mix that won't hold much water. Hard rain simply bounces off. I keep it shaded and use that one exclusively for medical needs since its short, fat leaves are more potent than my others. Just an interesting fact.

This post was edited by Sundewd on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 16:22

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sundewd, I tried removing most of the flowers but the flower stalks were a little tough so I left them alone. After about a week more of alcohol treatments I kinda gave up and went and bought a miticide from lowes. I also repotted the whole thing and cleaned the pot and sprayed the miticide in the soil and all over the roots and leaves. Probably an overkill? I added pea gravel to the cactus/succulent soil in about 50/50 ratio. Added some rough rocks under the echeveria leaves and the other (unknown or blue sticks?) succulent. I don't think I've watered them for about a week...
    I haven't seen any more mites but I think people recommend 3-4 treatments? I don't want to burn the leaves though. I also had to pluck 3 dead leaves from under the echeveria today. Anyone thinks it's from spider mites or shock from the repotting and miticide?

• ealdwood (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And forgot to mention we went and got a proper drill bit from lowes as well (only $5-6) I think and drilled four holes in the bottom of the pot. So that's good.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville