Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettiela

Please help my glottiphyllum longum survive

nettiel
9 years ago

hi, I am a beginner. I've had this little guy for almost a year -- for most of that time not really knowing what he was -- and over the last several months it's been steadily dawning on me that I'm not doing what he would like me to do.

I've kept him in his original pot from the garden center, and he lives in a moderately light-filled area and gets a bit of water about once a week, sometimes less. Almost immediately after I got him, the leaves on the outer edges started drying up and falling off, but the leaves in the center have been growing quite well, so for the longest time that's what I thought he was (more or less) supposed to do. I started thinking I should probably transplant him as the overall plant is taking up more space than it did originally, and that's when I started to try to figure out just what he is. I wondered if I should 'split up' the separate sections somehow.

In just the past few weeks things are now not looking so good at all. Only one of the 'sections' is thriving and the other two now seem limp and on their way out.

I just now found this wonderful resource on mesembs: https://files.nyu.edu/ms689/public/AGM.html and was amused to read "The denizens of Animal Farm never saw a dead donkey, and few of us have seen a dead glottiphyllum." I am concerned that I will be the person who will be able to post one! But now reading it in my spare time and I think it will help me to change my ways (and hopefully acquire more mesembs).

This unique fellow is one of my favorite plants and I'm worried about him in the short term. Does anyone have suggestions on what steps I should take immediately?

Thank you in advance!

This post was edited by nettiel on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 10:00

Comments (2)