Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angt29

Flopping Jade

First of all, I posted here a couple months age regarding getting this jade to branch out by pinching. I took your advice (though it took two attempts, as after the first attempt I only managed to make holes in a set of leaves that continued growing) and now have two nice, separate branches growing off the main stem. So, thank you for your time and advice.

I have a new problem. The jade has been around for about a year now. It looked healthy and upright all winter. We live on a wooded lot and get tons of direct sun on one side of our house all winter. But in the late spring when the trees leaf out, we lose a lot of that light. It seemed that as soon as this happened the jade flopped. I watered it thinking it might need it, but that was two days ago and it's flopping again (I generally water about once every two weeks). I did a little research online and think it might be because it's not getting enough sun? I have started moving it around the house to whatever window is getting the most intense sun. I know that plants can react badly to being moved around, but I think this one just needs light? I have it propped on a popsicle stick, and it's managed to flop itself over to the direction of the sun.

It seems healthy in all other aspects. The leaves are firm , supple and glossy.

I am almost positive it needs to be re-potted (thoughts?). I re-potted it last fall from a tiny seed start container, but I think it's ready again. I read someone mention that it wasn't the 'right time' to re-pot a jade early in the season, but I'm not sure if now is fine?

Anyhow, I will attach a couple more pictures (seems you can only do one at a time?).

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts as to what is going on with this plant and if there's anything I can do to help it out. Thanks a lot!

This post was edited by angt29 on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 10:08

Comments (11)

• angt29 (Minnesota, zone 4b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is propped. Looks a *little* better like this. :) I'm sorry for the wacky orientation of this picture. It seems to take everything in the same orientation, regardless of the file.

This post was edited by angt29 on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 10:12

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

My advice would be to chop it immediately above the second set of leaves. It will grow two stems from that point.

Take the top part, remove the bottom set of leaves, and insert it into some dry soil, separate from the main plant. Water it lightly after a week, then once a week after that (IF the soil is dry, otherwise wait a few more days ... the key is to keep the soil mostly dry). It will look dehydrated before it looks better, but once it grows roots, it will perk right up, and you'll have two plants! You can put them together back in the original pot if you like, to keep each other company.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

First, I can't tell if the clear plastic container has drainage. Next, your mix looks a bit heavy and could use some perlite. Having said this, your plant could be "drooping" because of root rot secondary to your mix and plastic pot, or it is just top heavy. If the leaves are very firm, it's time to do more than pinch leaves!!! It should be whacked just below the second group of larger leaves. Save the top and callous and plant both together in a larger pot with drainage. In the future should want to "pinch" back your plant, remove the terminal end completely as shown in the picture.

Original Author
    9 years ago

As far as the pot, yes there are drainage holes in the bottom and a layer of rock at the bottom. When I water it, water always comes out the bottom so I know that it is draining. I used a succulent potting mix, but I could definitely add perlite when I re-pot it this time around. What do you mix the perlite with? A succlent potting soil, or regular potting soil?

I will take your advice as far as cutting it down. When I finally pinched the leaves I felt that it was getting far too tall on one stem, but pinching was obviously a step I should have taken a long time ago! Hopefully this works well. :)

Thank you!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Just mix perlite with your current mix.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I just got some roots growing on my jade props! Hope everything turns out ALL right!goodluck

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

indoors... in winter. .the sun comes thru the windows ... though of low intensity.. perfect for many house plants ...

by this time of year.. the sun might be so high in the sky ... that it is not getting enough light ... and is bending towards the window ... i think its called etoliation ???? or some such .. sp???

there is no reason this should not be outside.. in FULL SHADE ... you might be surprised how it will respond .. over the summer ...

ken

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Heliotropism is a form of tropism, the diurnal motion or seasonal motion of plant parts tracking the sunlight.

Etiolation occurs when a plant doesn't get enough sunlight. The stem become elongated with the internodal space increasing. The stems can weaken, leaves become smaller and may yellow.

If you decide to take this outside, PLEASE do it slowly or you will have one crispy critter!!!!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Two more quick questions before I do anything:

1) I would like to add the cutting to the existing plant pot (as Danielle suggested). If I cut the plant down will it be too much stress to do that and re-pot it at the same time?

2) When I add the cutting, how much space should there be between the two plants?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

If you want both pieces in the same pot, allow the cut piece to callous for several days and just make a hole in the same pot and insert the end, pushing the mix against it. Repot after the new piece begins to show signs of growth.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bikerdoc...thanks so much for walking me through all of this. I really appreciate it!

I figured it was 'reaching' for the light. I have thought about bringing it outside. Around our house there isn't much chance of anything getting scorched because we are almost all shade. Maybe I will try it this summer. Thanks for the suggestion.