Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suivezmoi

Plant problems (lots of them :( )

suivezmoi
9 years ago

So I seem to be having some issues and I am not sure what to do, or if I am overreacting.

First and most noticeable. My desert rose has lost all of it's leaves. It wasn't out in direct sunlight (all of my plants except the two cacti and the aloe thingie are under the porch and might actually benefit from more sunlight but there aren't many shaded areas) but the leaves started to brown and are now all gone. I've had it for about a month, and it was only the last week or so I noticed an issue. Have I murdered it?

{{gwi:561823}}

My aloe has gone brown in some places, which I think may be sunburn so I have moved it to a shadier area.

{{gwi:561824}}

My plaid cactus has been having lots of blooms, but they hang around for a bit and open partway and then fall off. Usually it has some on it, but now it is totally bare. It did suffer through sitting out in a heavy rainstorm for about 20 min before I realized what was happening and rescued it. So did the other cactus and aloe. (had it for about a month)
{{gwi:561826}}
picture of the fallen off flower {{gwi:561828}}

Ive only had this one for two weeks, and it's flowers all seem to be coming off. I will admit this one does not have good drainage. I put rocks in the bottom, but I have yet to make a drainage hole in it.
{{gwi:561830}}

And last but not least is the one I have had tons of problems with. Can't remember what kind it is. Some of the bottom leaves have been shriveling and falling off, and when I was poking it the other day the top leaves felt like they were giving and not firm. I hadn't watered any of them in over a week and a half. I gave it a little water the other day and it seem firmer, but I don't know what is going on with the shriveling.
{{gwi:561832}}

It's not all bad news, whatever this is I think it has been happy. It seems to be growing right? The image on the right is the first day I got it and the one on the left is today which is almost exactly a month apart. {{gwi:561833}}

This is the moon cactus now. I dont think that bud ever actually bloomed, pretty sure it just fell off. {{gwi:561834}}

These are the new ones I got (before I realized I was having issues) I am going to try and put them all together in a bigger pot I've had my eye on at the nursery. Though I am going to try out a better mixture for them maybe. {{gwi:561835}}

and this is the giant thing of aloe my roommate has. Pretty sure it is just ignored, but it seems to be doing alright. {{gwi:561836}}

Comments (5)

• tweathers
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have the same aloe carmine the one with red teeth mine bloomed yesterday and I leave it in full direct sunlight all day but I worked it out with 20min first day 25 next day and so on till it could handle hours a day so maybe try that cause the brown shriveled leaves are either sun burnt,lack of water, or too much water lol it's a toss up only you know the answer I only water after soil is completely dry for 2 days and I use cactus and succulent soil with 50% perlite

• spapa
    9 years ago

I can definitely see in the photo of the xGraptoveria you have (looks like 'Debbi'), the one you refer to as "last but not least," the soil is totally compacted -- you can tell from how it's pulling away from the side of the container. When this happens, it's kind of like strangling the roots, and any watering you do won't be effective. If you are using the same soil for all of your plants, that could definitely be at the root (no pun intended) of your problems. A basic fix is to get some cactus and succulent soil mix in a big and mix that with 50% or more perlite or pumice. You want the soil to be very loose, so that if you pick up your plant you are not pulling up a hard block of soil; it should fall apart easily. If you want to get more serious, you can check out the recipe for Al's Gritty Mix on this forum. You will also find that individuals have developed their own mixes that work well for them in their climates. Everything that I can see in your photos looks very dense and heavy in peat, which you want to avoid. I would recommend changing out the mix for all of your plants.

Good luck!

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I agree with that and would like to note that your Edithcolea Grandis will suffer badly in that mix. Thats a stapeliad that prefers an almost pure grit mix such as pumice or pea pebbles. It also could use more light as it should be purple at the tips.

• mingtea
    9 years ago

When acclimated properly you will be hard pressed to give many of those plants too much sun. The adenium will probably want all the sun you an give it in your zone.

-Ming

• suivezmoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I have repotted everyone (except the moon cactus bc I was too lazy and have been ignoring it this whole time really). I did the 1/2 succulent soil mix and 1/2 perlite. We'll see how it goes. My Edithcolea Grandis is looking decidely brown at the tips, which is upsetting since the last week it looked green and happy. *sigh*

Though of course after this I moved my cacti out into the sun, and right after I left for work it rained heavily for awhile so they got drenched. What should I do in a situation like this?