Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresanoh

Dry Stall vs. Stall Dry

teresanoh
9 years ago

I have realized that the Cactus mix I am using is not doing any favors for my succulents so I went to the feed store yesterday and ordered a bag of Dry Stall, which is pumice. I realized last night when we went to bring it in that they had given me Stall Dry instead of Dry Stall. Of course, they are closed today and I was hoping to repot most of my plants today.

The ingredients according to their web site: Stall DRY is made from a natural diatomaceous earth deposit enhanced with Montmorillonite Clay (also known as Calcium Bentonite) that can absorb more than its own weight in liquid. Stall DRY has a low pH allowing it to attract and neutralize ammonia molecules. It also says it is safe to use in compost meant for a garden.

Is this something I can use to mix with the potting soil I bought (with no peat moss in it)?

Thank you for any help for this newbie!

Comments (13)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

If it were me , I'd wait and exchange it.
    I don't know for sure why, but Stall Dry is not one of the recommended ones. I have only heard of Dry stall being used, which is what I use. It's a pumice material.

"Enhanced with Clay" sounds to me, could break down like Chris mentioned.

I know it's frustrating, but I would wait and exchange it.

It's dumb, but feed stores are closed here In AZ. on Sunday too... Grrr...

• teresanoh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I won't be able to exchange it until next weekend, so I'm off to Napa to buy the Floor Dry. Who knew it could be this complicated? But fun.....

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I'm sorry it is a little bit of trouble now , but worth it in the end. Please share pictures when your done. :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Teresa,

You're getting off relatively easily. Welcome to the trials and tribulations of getting a preferred soil mix's ingredients. The stories we can tell about what we do for our plants...

And Jojo's right. Don't mess around with that Stall-Dry stuff in your mix. I guess it could be made to work, but not without more than a little work.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 19:32

• PRO
    Debra Lee Baldwin
    4 years ago

Oh, dear. I'm the one who told everyone ages ago (when succulents first started getting popular) to simply use Dry Stall rather than trying to track down pumice. Tack and feed stores were an inexpensive source, but it took some explaining to get people to understand why they sell pumice (it absorbs excess moisture in horse stalls) and why it's good for succulents (it absorbs excess moisture in soil so roots don't rot, and it also helps to aerate the soil). For some unknown reason, Dry Stall has vanished and Stall Dry now is everywhere. It's basically kitty litter. Don't use it as a soil amendment for potted plants, succulents or otherwise. Instead go to Google (or Amazon) and search for "horticultural pumice." It's become widely available due to demand. Learn more on the "Succulent Soil and Amendments" page of my website.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Drystall hasn't vanished, and pumice, thanks to companies like General Pumice Products, is a lot more readily available, if no less cheaper. But I don't mind updating this thread every five years, so here's this demi-decade's contribution.

Not Horsing Around With Soil Amendments

• Stefan
    4 years ago

I used bentonite once. Its just clay. Not the good kind. I also used zeolite, and unlike the former, didnt turn to mud.

4 years ago

Bentonite was used as a plot device in a British mystery we saw last night. The fellow was tortured at an abandoned cat litter factory, and he had bentonite under his fingernails.

• westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
    3 years ago

Does anyone have the manufacturer name on the correct "Dry Stall" product, in the 40 pound bag? If you have a link to that manufacturer's product page please post that too.

• denniso_so_cal_z9
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I know the HQ for Dry Stall is in Orange County but all I have is a phone number that I called a few years back to find the nearest feed store to me in So Cal, hope this helps, 949-493-7825

• Mary Sheldon
    2 years ago

Yippy!! I have extra Dry Stall (not Stall Dry), left over from when my son's dog was sick (gross story I wont share lol).

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Hopefully the dog is ok now) Glad you have some to use.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County